1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

what job would you have done??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ralphie250, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'd have loved a career in research; but I really didn't have the patience for the administrative BS and politics of academia.

So, I went with the administrave BS and politics of business, instead. At least it pays well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I'm sure there is plenty of "the grass is greener" with this choice, but I would have gone into medicine. Now, I don't deal with emergencies or having someone's life in my hands type of cases. And I don't like contagious people. But that would be something to look into.

If I didn't have to worry about money, wilderness EMT at some national park.

I have a few ideas for a career change when ever it needs to happen. But, if I don't need to impress anyone, professional tourist comes to mind...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Medicine, or research. Anything but being a servant to IT. I like using computers but the servicing of them is just tedious.

When I was 5 I wanted to be a gorilla. I kind of look like one now, but it's not the same...

( I've been told that I should be a stand up comic. Maybe I'll go with that. )

• Like Like x 3
  4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

If I could go back and do the military route again I would have tried to be a Photographer's Mate. Wikipedia tells me this has been merged with similar ratings since my return to a civilian status.
    Now I am just trying to make money on this photography thing through whatever means will work.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

When I was 18, there was a job posting to travel around the country installing the network/POS systems for Texas Roadhouse (chain steakhouse). It was $40k a year (with per-deim and such) and I had the skills to do it back then. I was told college was a better choice than getting that job. I hate I listened to those dumbasses and never went with that job. My industry is all about experience (@Martian barely got his grade 10, but can run laps around me in a CL) and I would have had a head-start on my skill set.

Otherwise, if I could find a job in IT that I never EVER talked to a end-user, I'll take that job in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stripper

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

*dies from images in his brain of scissors and a pole*

• Like Like x 2
  8. but seriously....

I'm often surprised that I did not study major in any sort of biological science. I really liked the Microbiology and Botany classes I took as an undergrad.

For the LONGEST time, I wanted to be a paleontologist. I was OBSESSED with dinosaurs. I remember saying I wanted to be a "Dinosaur Scientist" when I was in Kindergarten. The accompanying drawing was me in a lab coat with a dinosaur bone. It was awesome. Jurassic Park was my favorite movie, and I had never heard of a paleobotanist before that. I thought that would be a cool job.

I collected all sorts of fossils and went on little exhibitions in the Ohio Valley because I was a nerdy kid.

I lost my super cool trilobite necklace at a stupid bar. :-( Some queen is probably wearing it now. Hmm..Good for her though.

Why I chose to pursue Journalism, which I am not a journalist now, is beyond me. I think because I was young and immature when I started college, almost a full year younger than my classmates, I didn't want to do anything that required work. Partying and minimal studying sound way cooler than taking lots of science and math.

Now that I am more mature, I have a better grasp of what I want to be when I grow up. Starting over again and pursuing a STEM degree sounds silly, so I will stick to pursuing my MBA.

9. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Fans self, " is it hot in here all of the sudden"?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ooooh.....Paleontology Stripper.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Speed_Gibson

She definitely would have gotten decent tips from the customers.
    ......Man starts to reach for a $5 bill, sees the move for the scissors and decides it is better to give her a $20 or two.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

She could have paid for most of our college educations. Now that's talent

13. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I actually considered this during grad school, and I think it would have funded my education well. Too bad I have a recognizable tattoo, otherwise I probably would have at least given it a shot. :/ Especially now that I know how to do tricks on the pole!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

North or South? ;)

15. Speed_Gibson

North Pole is probably the better choice. I hear Santa Clause is generous with his tips and rumour has it even has an ""agreement" with Mrs. Clause about certain things.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Relevant:
    13 Reasons To Revisit Your Dream Job From Childhood

17. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

You and me are on opposite ends of the spectrum there. Odd, because I'm not generally social, but I miss working with end users. I enjoyed PC/network support, and training much more than working on the servers and networking. I get paid a crap-ton more on servers, but work wise I miss support.

18. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm trying to figure out how to have it all. (with those roles I noted before...)

Make money at IT, software and data. (including building a business again)
    Do my science, get it out there. (this can also add to my business)
    And in my off hours for R&R start my art again.

And if I get rich, design & build my estate. (fulfilling my architectural vision)
    And with the spare income, I'll distribute a portion of my assets using my stock trading skills.
    I assume I'll have to have a good sense of law to protect myself.

Genetics will have to be a side curiosity, along with philosophy, psychology and socialogy.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  19. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Actor or script writer.
    I'd still like to toil in a writer's room.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Seriously, no one has made a joke about @ZombieSquirrel digging up an old bone? Or making a pun about PHD meaning pretty hard dick? Nothing about getting a rise out of an old fossil? Something, something, @Borla's calcified baculum?

I blame the new mods.

If I could lock myself in a room and never talk to an end user, I would be so happy. I talk to home customers and end users, I hate both. I want @Martian's job, except when he is on call.

• Like Like x 1