1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What kind of beer drinker are you?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I'd say that I'm extremely versatile. :D

I've went through quite a few stages over the years, and now I've come to the conclusion that I just simply like beer, period, with few exceptions. :p I've bought and drank everything from Busch Lite to Sam Adam's Utopia. :cool:

Once I really started drinking beer I immediately went towards things like Sam Adams, Bass Ale, and the like. From there I trended towards becoming a bit of a beer snob. I refused to drink light beers, domestic pilsners, or anything that wasn't a microbrew or at least a craft beer. As my job began entailing entertaining customers I found that many of mine, especially those in the rural Midwest, drank cheap domestic beer and thought you were snooty if you did otherwise. Also, especially a few years ago, lots of places in the middle of nowhere IA don't serve anything but cheap domestic beer, so I forced myself to adapt. Now, though I still prefer a good Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA or a Great Basin Egyptian Ale, there are times that just like we sometimes crave junk food, I actually want a Coors Light. Yeah it's watered down compared to a big ale, but sometimes when it's hot out or you have a big meal ahead of you that's all you want, right?

At this point I'll try almost anything, though I tend to dislike most fruity beers (or beers that require fruit in them to drink :p ). You are just as likely to find a DFH in my fridge as a Coors Light, and I do have a cask of Sam Adams Utopia '11 sitting in my home office waiting for a special occasion (had a cask of the '07, it was phenomenal). I'd say my favorite mass produced beer is still Sam Adams Boston Lager, though I prefer a DFH 60 or 90 Minute when I can get it.

How about you? What's your preferred poison? :cool:

PS - This song came on while I was typing this, lol!

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

At first, I hated beer. I couldn't get over the taste of it, and I thought it was just a disgusting way to get drunk. Instead, I would drink mixed liquor drinks: whiskey, gin, and the like.

I wanted to like beer though, because it would be convenient if that was the beverage of choice at any given event.

It all came to a head on my 24th birthday, when my sister bought me a 2-4 to commemorate such a milestone. It was Coors Light. I took one sip and proceeded to give the rest of the bottles away, it was so bad.

Fast forward a year or two, in Toronto, where I became exposed to many imported and microbrewed beers.

The problem? I've been trying to drink mass-produced shit: Labatt's, Budweiser, Molson, Coors, etc.

Now I've tried some imported ones that are good even if they are mass-produced. I've also tried drinking more than just pilsner (of which I'm not a big fan), though I have found a few I like.

I now know I'm more of an ale, stout, and porter kind of guy. Usually, darker is better. I like some of the smaller Canadian producers, but I also like some of the popular Irish and English producers, and a few German and Dutch brews.

I need to explore more of Europe though. I tend to drink lots of Canadian beer and only a select few Europeans.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I find it hilarious that both Borla and Baraka_Guru took the beer right outta my mouth. I share a similar attitude with these fine gentlemen.

I'm an ale, stout and porter guy. Darker is better. Give me all your Doppelbocks. Double Bastard (Stone), Double Dead Guy (Rogue), etc.

I've been to Germany and sat at the wooden tables while angry beer wenches gave me liters of Hofbrau and Lowenbrau. It was okay.

Occasionally I find myself wanting mass produced fizzy yellow stuff. Miller Lite if I'm by myself, Coors Light if I'm with the woman.

I don't mind fruity beers and on a whim I've had some really good stuff over the years at various microbrews and off the shelf.

Beer is for enjoyment, not getting all crunk, although the big guns I drink for pleasure (at 9-10%) will definitely get me there.

The one time that I stooped to the level of drinking Busch (college x-mas party, was playing less drunk DD for friend), it took me 15 minutes to drink 12 ounces. I consider myself a pretty tough guy in the "eats things that would make a billy goat puke" department but, yeah, I just can't do Busch.

4. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

I love that there are so many varieties available now adays...much more than when I started drinking 40 years ago. Though I didn't think I like fruity beers, I've even found some exceptions to that. For example, Leinenkugel Summer Shandy (family owned in Wisconsin since 1867) which has a refreshing lemon content and I like it more than the Sam Adams Summer Ale which also has a very noticeable lemon highlight. Or the Three Philosophers Belgian Quadrupel which has a cherry/plum/fig thing going on. I just remembered I have "important business" to take care of in Belgium.

5. Borla

The one "fruity" beer that I do like is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I think it's because it has subtle cherry flavors without being sweet.

6. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I guess I'm a "beer snob"! I just don't like any of the domestic beers, one exception is Yungling.
    I did a bit of traveling to Germany in the 80's (grey market car importing). A dealer I was using took me to the FRANZISKANER beer hall in Munich
    suggested I try a WEISSBIER, I loved it, now that is my beer, there are other breweries in Germany that make Weissbier and they are also very good.
    I just can't seem to drink Bud or any of those beers......

• Like Like x 1
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

:eek: Stop being me.

8. Good thread!

About the only light beer I like is Heineken Premium Light, and I really like that.
    Favorite summertime beer is Pacifico.
    Surprise find this year was Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.
    Do like most of the Blue Moon varieties except for their winter version which gives me a headache.
    Love Warsteiner Dunkel.
    Also Abita Turbo Dog.

Do not drink the typical Bud/Miller crap that the masses drink.

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I live in Beervana, and my husband and I make it a point to visit various beer festivals. We attended one in Bend, OR last weekend. It was fantastic. My town--55k people or so--has four breweries in town, if you don't count the student brewery operation at the university (we are one of two state schools in the United States with a fermentation sciences program, the other being UC Davis). We also attend beer tastings here in town--the local brewshop runs educational tastings every month or so. The last one profiled hefeweissbiers. My husband brews his own beer. His latest brew was a Belgian wit.

I tend to drink local, so listing off beers here that I like would probably defeat the purpose--many of them don't distribute outside of Oregon (the small guys), or the Western United States (the big guys: Deschutes/Ninkasi/Widmer/Rogue). Heck, some of them don't even bottle. I'll list a few just in case you can find them. As far as styles I like--I'll drink anything. A brewery from Bend (Boneyard Brewing) has an amazing cherry wheat beer made with sour cherries called Girl Beer. The bartender at my local pub loves to give me shit when I order it because I usually prefer IPAs (same brewery has a great IPA). My favorite IPA would be Hop Lava from Double Mountain (Hood River, OR). My favorite Russian Imperial is Old Rasputin (North Coast, Fort Bragg, CA). If you can find Old Raspy on nitro--order it. Please. I also love sours, which don't taste like beer at all. One of the local brewpubs makes an awesome sour. Drinking a sour is sort of like drinking the liquid drained off of yogurt; the beer has been inoculated with (typically) lactobacillus and pedicoccus to bring a certain effervescence and sourness to the party. I also like beers made with brettanomyces. It brings a bit of barnyard and horse sweat into the flavor.

I love beer. I'm really looking forward to Septembeerfest and the Fresh Hop Tastival. I think we're also planning an outing to the Winter Warmer festival in Portland.

10. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

The only mass-produced domestics I like are Sam Adams, Pabst, and Yuengling.

Outside of that, I'm open to anything, as long as it's not an IPA. I don't know what it is about IPA's, but to my taste buds, they all taste as though someone just steeped a bag of potpourri in a pot of piss.

11. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I drink Kronenberg 1664 when its on tap where I can get it. Otherwise quite like San Miguel. I'll drink Stella Artois if I have to, but not a big fan.

On the bitter front, I dont mind a pint of Bombardier, and if I'm drinking at home I'll normally have some weiss bier

12. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

I have yet to figure out how anyone can stomach Bud, Miller or any of the countless spin offs of those brands. Bud, especially, is the most vile stuff I have ever drank.
    Coors Light is great for when I want some beer but don't want to get buzzed.
    Family gatherings are usually Corona and Heineken which are ok, but the taste gets to me after a few.
    I tend towards ales more than anything. Rolling Rock, Magic Hat #9, Pete's Wicked Ale and Sam Adams Pale Ale are the ones I usually get.
    I do like some of the Sam Adams seasonal brews like Octoborfest and Summer Ale.

13. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I don't know a lot about beers. I will often get Yeungling because it's inexpensive.
    Sometimes I will get Red Stripe if I feel like spending a couple bucks more.

I also enjoy the Sierra Nevada beers and some of the Sam Adams seasonal brews.
    Blue Moon is not an objectionable beer, it's pretty tasty.
    I like Newcastle Brown Ale.
    And then sometimes I will just pick up something new and try it, either because it's on sale or because I just feel like trying something different. Can't recall any other names at the moment.

I've never had a Busch or a Coors to my knowledge. I can drink Michelob and Budweiser.

Don't know what kind of beer drinker that makes me. :)

14. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

From what I drank last night...

Grasshopper
    Rickards Red
    Corona (as a last resort)

15. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I remember first really hating beer but making myself learn to like it because, in University, buying beer was cheaper.

For years, I stuck with cheap, domestic beers (Molson Canadian, Export, etc.) but in the 90s I started to see a lot more micro brews on the shelves and started to try everything. I love all sorts of beer but tend to avoid the big brands as I find them, not so much bad, but rather unadventurous. They are just a little boring.

Some of my favourite types of beers are the Belgian beers. The Canadian label UniBrou used to make some very good ones. I am also a fan of stouts and porters as well as bitters. I like that they are smooth and don't have all the fizz.

The big problem in Sngapore is that beer (and all alcohol) if f'n expensive. A six pack of beer will set you back anywhere from $10 to $25. The $10 beer is not the greatest beer. When you go to a pub, a pint can set you back as much as $12 to $24.

It's not pretty.

16. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

miller lite is my choice for those type of beers. however i've aquried a taste for southern tier ipa's and 4 season's ipa. too bad they are hard to come by where i live. i also like dogfish head ipa but they dont sell it in indiana anymore :(

17. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

In my late teens I would drink light beers, or the occasional cider. I've never seen beer as a way to get drunk, I'm drinking beer for the taste. During my early twenties I started testing all the different kinds of beer I could find at our stores and suddenly (and a bit unexpected) fell in love with dark stouts - Murphy's Irish Stout being my favorite.
    Today I either drink light beers like Carlsberg Non-Alcoholic (When around my kids) and Weissbier like Erdinger Hefeweizen or the dark stuff like Murphy's Irish Stout. In a pinch I can drink a Guinness, but only if it's on tap in the bar - it doesn't taste right from a can.

18. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Cold Beck's for basic food-quenching. Strange Famous, please will you try some and compare it with Stella, I'd be interested in your judgment.

I've recently gone off the rails and for a luxury, in the last few weeks since I heard of its existence, I've gone for Crabbie's Ginger beer.
    @Snowy's sours and brettanomyces I have never seen around here (England), but I'm certain they'd hit my number one spot. Sourness and smokiness are some of my favourite tastes.

When at a pub, I prefer a guest ale. Something new to me. Though I'll always have a glass of Old Speckled Hen if it's available.
    Unless I am food-quenching, then please let me have a glass of Laphroaig (which my spell checker insists is leapfrog!) by the side. As standalone, beer-whiskey is to me one unit.

19. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

back in the day, i used to drink a lot of labatt's, then discovered genny 12-horse ale - damn i drank a lot of that stuff...

past 15-20 years, i might have 3 beers a year - usually heinekens - but i love my bourbon...

20. Borla

I used to do an annual fishing trip to Canada. We always drank Labatt's all week, but it was usually the only time every year that I had it. Not sure why, just seemed to work out that way.