1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What kind of beer drinker are you?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I must try that, SF!

At this precise moment, I am downing Becks with Laphroaig (Spellcheck still calls it Leapfrog) on the side, waiting for my customized pizza to cook.

Becks. It dares to question itself. "I'm a lager, a light beer ..... or AM I?" And the bugger never actually gets to an answer. Even chilled, its bite never occludes its taste, and as it warms up, it does not do that 'bitter with a dank background' kind of thing. No, It remains thick and robust to the taste.

Unlike some lagers. Just a few degrees warmer, and they are like ... rabbits in the headlights, caught in a shameful act. Blinking, shrugging, but unable to hide their lack of substance. Beer which has been forgotten, then rediscovered next morning: That has died of Honest Exposure. "I'm going out ... I might be some time" ... nonono ... beer's made of hops, not oates. But those nasteh lagers, they have no such excuse. One or two degrees, and they are Exposed.

I think my pizza's probably done now :)

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yes, lager must be cold, otherwise they just aren't crisp.

We're going to brew a hefe-weissbier this weekend.

4. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

As a general rule, I don't buy much beer to consume at home. A 48 pack of Coors light Plan9 bought was in my fridge for nearly 6 months.

I drink beer when I am at bars or restaurants as a cheaper alternative to liquor or wine. My general rule of thumb is to stick to whats on tap. I have found I tend to prefer darker beers, and Chicago's Metropolitan Brewery is really one of my favorites right now.

I really enjoyed Saranac from New York because they would put out craft packs with 2 beers of up to 8 varieties. It gave me a chance to try beers without having to commit to a whole 6 pack if I wasn't a huge fan.

5. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

6. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

If there is a hard cider, I'll usually take that over beer. However if I am going to have beer it's usually Dos Equis special, Rolling Rock or Red Hook.

7. Rekna New Member

I've had 2 of these in my fridge for 6 months that I have been refusing to try... They came in a mystery box from bevmo. I may have to go try one...

As for me, I like pretty much all beers (except sweet ones). My rule is when I go someplace if they have a beer on the menu I have not drank then that is what I need to order. I even brew my own beer. Today I made an IPA, I can't wait to drink it in a month...

8. ktspktsp

ktspktsp Vertical

For some reason, I am a very pedestrian wine drinker (most of our purchases are the cheap Trader Joe's varieties), but much pickier when it comes to beer. I'm generally a fan of IPAs and Belgian beers.
    Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA is probably my favorite IPA, though my more common (and cheaper) hoppy beer is the Sierra Nevada pale ale.
    As for Belgians I like saison-style beer in general, and also Rochefort 10.. an awesome beer.
    I think Charaltan also mentioned Unibroue (from Quebec) - they make really good beers too.
    And roachboy, I used to go to Monk's and Eulogy a lot when I was living near Philly.. Those were good places.

It's also good to be in the Pacific NorthWest, with all the microbreweries around here.

9. This afternoon I sampled the beers at the Jolly Pumpkin http://www.jollypumpkin.com/traversecity/Default.htm north of Traverse City. All 12 of them. I was brought 12 four ounce glasses. That is almost too much to sample at any one time. There were some great one and some that I didn't care for. The Oro de Calabaza was really good. If you're in the area I highly recommend it, especially if someone else is driving.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Definitely a fan. Also from Dogfish Head, I thoroughly enjoy Raison D'Etre, Namaste and Midas Touch.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

24 pack. C'mon now... there wasn't anything else in there. You didn't even have enough condiments for it to qualify as a bachelor 'frige.

I think the longer I go without beer, the more beer-related fantasies I have. Those of you that have it at your fingertips are lucky mofos.

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

One thing we do from time to time is buy a mixed 6--a couple of places in town let you do it legitimately, and one place in town (Fred Meyer) kind of turns the other way as long as all the beers you choose in the six-pack are from the same brewery. Mixing varieties of Deschutes seems to be the most popular thing there.

13. If you ever go a bit south to Sparta, Michigan (just north of Grand Rapids) you have to hit The Michigan Beer Cellar http://www.michiganbeercellar.com/
    Dan offers 12 or more excellent brews, another 13 wines and a full stock of spirits all made in house. The food is pretty good, too!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

The one thing I would like in Singapore is more micro brewery choices. Well, that and cheaper beer. Alcohol is way over-priced here.

15. Thanks, drove through there on 131 today in ridiculous Labor Day traffic. Next time in the area I'll stop by.

16. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

I have a nasty habit of drinking beer with my evening snack. Especially in the summer. It's all just unnecessary calories, I should replace the beer with tea.

I used to have problems getting sleep, and sometimes one extra strong beer helped me to fall in sleep. Nowadays I find excercise and rising early enough regularly being best medicine for getting sleep.

17. Fly

Fly music is the answer

i'm with Charlie here........been hittin' up the micro brews as of late,some damn fine beer being made locally........

but as a whole........i just really like any beer.......as long as it's ice cold.......and yes,that goes for the Guinneys/stouts and such out there too.....

18. psykosis

psykosis Getting Tilted

I'm lucky enough to live in an area full of great microbreweries. I love sour/wild beers, so Jolly Pumpkin is my favorite. I'm also a hophead, so I usually have an assortment of IPA's on hand. Generally you can open my fridge and find an assortment of beers fro Jolly Pumpkin, North Peak, Shorts, Founders, Brewery Vivant, Bells, and Dark Horse.

or you can go downstairs to my humble cellar to find my collection of Russian River -ation beers, some Dark Horse stouts, a few random lambics, and assorted other special beers I'm saving for a special day.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

I'm an absolute Vodka guy. Can tolerate other spirits, but don't care much for them.

Outside of Vodka, I like me some good beer. I've tried all sorts over the past couple years.

To date, nothing beat the German "Bananenweizen", which is basically Banana juice and light German beer mixed together.

Never been a fan of dark beer. I know the Pommies and Aussies love that stuff. Out of the Aussie light beers, I liked "Hahn Premium".

Usually, I only have German beer ("Jever" being my favourite). Other times, I can do with Asahi (Japanese).

Two months ago I discovered "Tiger" beer in Singapore. Not bad at all.

Last week I was in Istanbul and discovered "Efes Pilsen". Also not bad, but such an obvious rip-off from German brewing.

20. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

From memory, Becks has a bit more aftertaste than Stella - it is closer to Heineken than Stella.

I'm not too fussy - I mostly drink Lager, but have been known to have the odd Pale Ale, Stout or the like. I'm not really enamoured of Guinness. If I'm drinking something Irish, I'd prefer Kilkenny or Cafferys.