1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What non-fiction /philosophy book to read?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by crimemastergogo, Oct 25, 2012.

1. crimemastergogo New Member

Hello friends,

I have recently taken up reading and enjoying it very much. I recently read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell and "A short history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson.

I have gone through NewYork bestsellers, Globe and mail bestsellers, Reddit /r/Books etc but can't decide on what non fiction or philosophy book to read next. I started "Wealth of nations" by Adam Smith and "The republic" by Plato but couldn't continue as I find the style of writing not at all appealing. I mean, the sentences seem to be never ending and by the time, you reach end of a sentence, you've already lost the grip of the message being conveyed.

I'm considering "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter.
    Would that be a good choice or should I read some other books before that? I'm asking for suggestions as to what book should I read next? What are you guys reading now?

Thanks.