1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What Shows do YOU want to see??

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by rogue49, May 23, 2014.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I would also like to see a TV show...likely on pay TV...where the plot is like "The Sleeping Dragon"

The premise...modern college students or professionals...knowledgeable and skilled...who are playing a fantasy RPG (like D&D)
    AND are sent to that world in for real...as those characters.
    They'll have the memories, personality and skills of their original bodies...but also the skills & abilities of their new bodies.
    Combining modern know-how (without the same resources though) ...with fantasy environ and ability. (including the magic and monsters)

AND life & death in this world is for real too...with life & death consequences. You get killed...you're dead.

Joel Rosenberg did an awesome series on this premise...I'd love to see it translated.

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I'd like to organize a documentary on boxers. The journeyman fighters, not the superstars. I could post a rant, maybe I'll do so in the Boxing thread.

I'd like to see a documentary on reality TV programs, namely to show how staged they are.
    Note--I have a dimbulb SIL who actually truly believes that shit.

I'd like to see Riverdance with Colin Dunne & Jean Butler. Michael "Oooh, I'm So Hot!" Flatley can phuqoff.

3. rogue49

Lots of producers and editors...and cameramen who look for the "IT" shot and scene.
    Most reality is boring...including those of the "interesting".
    But I agree...it would be fascinating all the same.
    A reality show on reality shows??
    Even self-absorbed Hollywood would appreciate the irony and "inside joke" on that.

I just watched a couple of documentaries on how movies get green-lit and funded. (including one with Alec Balwin, who you'd think had clout)
    In one, they noted that Orson Welles said, "It's about two percent movie-making and ninety-eight percent hustling. It's no way to spend a life."

4. Chris Noyb

It's my understanding that the most of the people involved in "reality" shows are under what is basically a contractual Gag Order. True, false, maybe a bit of both?

A local furniture store owner, Jim McIngvale, made a movie with Chuck Norris called Sidekicks, which turned a huge profit. McIngvale (an experienced businessman) said the process was so drawn out and exhausting he'd never again get involved in making a movie.

5. rogue49

There's a reason why much of Hollywood is insane...it is not likely because they are liberal artists.
    But the stress of so much ambiguity and harshness is significant.
    The reasons for their cooky ways are probably two-fold... PTSD...impact from the fight...and it attracts those who feed into that type of fight.

BUT...we have to get our ideas out there.
    So who here willing to go hide in a toilet stall to accost a celeb or exec to get our stuff made??? ;)

6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Guardians of the Flame was a fun series. I think you're right. It would make a cool series.

7. rogue49

Actually, I'd like them to take it further than the last book.
    Since he died...it was kind of left hanging...it would be a good thing to expand on
    ...and in a business context should be easy to get the rights, since no one is doing anything with it.

8. Charlatan

Rights are rarely difficult to acquire. It's really just a factor of money.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

That reminded me of a story about Gene Rodenberry (apologies for anything I get wrong here, this is the top of my head). When he was still working on the police force for a living he walked into a restaurant in full uniform and handed a television producer some paperwork like it was a vitally important ticket. After he left the producer realised he had been handed a script the Gene wrote.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rogue49

Problem is...that everyone & their mother has heard that same story...and turned around and attempted it themselves.
    So I wonder if any Hollywood Execs actually accept tickets by now???
    Likely Hollywood/LA has started a process to send it by mail by now. (or email/text)
    Well...at least it saves the cops from wasting paper.

"Producer picks up iPhone, looking at his texts...and exclaims, 'Aww shit!! I just got a ticket outside...' "

Craig Ferguson was talking to Jon Favreau on his show...and he said that his fake horse's hind-end has a script he wanted Jon to read.
    The reaction and laugh from Jon was classic and real. Those guys must get shit all the time.

Actually, this is not fully right, I do agree it's about money and how much...but it's often about the "fight" for the money.
    Two or more parties may have rights. (or at least claim to...)

Ask about the rights to James Bond fight...or what Stan Lee is doing against Disney for the Marvel rights....and so on...

That's why I said, now that he's dead...and it's been some years...and they haven't done anything more...it will be easier.
    Not as much conflict of interests.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  11. Speed_Gibson

That is true. Television has changed significantly in many respects since the 1950's. Producers probably get loads of e-mails (or their offices at least) now from people that have the "next big thing" that will "be a huge hit if it will only be put on television".

Shows like M.A.S.H. would have been canned after the first or second season at most if it was airing now, while drek like American Idol will be celebrating the 50th season.

12. Charlatan

There are a number of reasons why MASH and shows of there type got to try again while shows of today get cut too soon. One of the key factors is audience fragmentation.

In a tv universe with five channels, even the middling show have decent ratings. In a 500 channel universe (plus Internet and gaming and blablabla) the pie is greatly divided. Failure is costly and advertisers (ie revenue) have options.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

I wonder which network program on free TV holds the record for being given the most chances? BTW, I'm not curious enough to look it up.

IIRC JAG, which turned out to be a long running series (which I didn't follow), was tried in many time slots and was placed on hiatus then brought back several times. Medium, a program I did follow, had a similar history. Side note--I'm happy to see that Patricia Arquette is going to star in a CSI spinoff series.

14. rogue49

Ok, one fantasy saga which I think would make a great massive movie release to all...and create a new chain. ...Like Star Wars.

David Eddings' Belgariad series
    (*and the following Mallorian series...and two followup books)

It is brilliant for the masses...very Archetype, yet original and warm & endearing.
    The storyline and dialog is easy to absorb, yet deep.
    The characters and banter are fun, funny and yet complex & engrossing.

The Belgariad starts with "Pawn of Prophecy", following a simple boy with his Aunt Pol...who finds himself suddenly thrust into a series of events and quest.
    Where he finds out he IS "The One" who will bring down a Mad God...

Oh, how I love reading this series again and again...the characters are so great, the banter is awesome, the lines, the scenes.
    Shit, even Disney could do this. (and they have the money and resources to do it right...)

The plot, etc would easily translate to screenplay...I doubt they'd have to do much at all.

I'm thinking a healthy Catherine Zeta Jones as "Polgara"
    George Clooney would do an awesome "Belgarath" (with a bit of old man makeup, which would give him his acting angle)
    He could bring in Brad Pitt to do "Silk" (but make him look "weaselly" and with a nose...he'd like that)
    Do a whole "Ocean's 11/12/13" team connection...you know how Hollywood likes bringing in teams together that worked before...

You want actors that can do funny banter very well...but easily do grandiose and intense too. It is both light and deep.

Belgarion & Ce'Nedra would be a challenge, since they grow up through the series.

And there's background, background, background...so you can reveal each bit by bit.
    Method actors would love it...much less producers who know they can string it out and build, bit by bit and then some.
    But the typical public could easily keep track too.

It gives me shivers to think of this done well.
    I can see the money rolling in too... (again, Eddings has passed :( ...so getting the privs may be easier, his wife who he wrote with isn't either)

Actually, I'm not the only one...others have been thinking it too. - Link

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  15. Speed_Gibson

Just remembered one that has been on my "wishlist" for some time now.
    A crossover featuring Britt Reid (AKA The Green Hornet) set in the original 1930's era when the character was created as a spinoff of the Lone Ranger. Feature his great uncle in a prominent role who was better known as the Lone Ranger in his younger years. Something like that Batman Beyond show I never saw beyond the first episode, or to put it in terms I can relate to - the 1930's Green Hornet radio show with an older Lone Ranger helping out somehow.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Makes one wonder if an adaptation of The Shadow could be done with a measure of integrity.

17. Have you seen arrow ? Also sorry I skimmed threw some of it admittedly . CW and other channels have some DC comic shows coming and Netflix had arrow as well and new marvel shows only for netflix next year .