1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What types of things do you, or would you, buy on subscription via Amazon or the like?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Borla, Feb 20, 2016.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

At $13-$16 for a 40# plastic bag the shipping is built into the cost. IMO.

EDIT--Which I can tie into this thread by saying IME some of the free shipping on Amazon isn't actually free. Much depends on the deal you get, and the size & weight of the item.

We got a very good price on our Cat Condo through Amazon, compared to buying locally, with free shipping. Note--Since we had to assemble it (as expected, and we were told in advance), and it shipped from a warehouse near Houston, the shipping probably wasn't much for UPS Ground.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Yes, I anticipate the shipping is built into the cost, but again if I was to go to Petsmart, it's about that price sometimes $2 more, AND I have to find a place to park near the apartment building grab a luggage cart and then wheel it up to the apartment and then bring the luggage cart back downstairs.

Totally much easier to buy and ship to the door. I need to buy some anyways I'll do it now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, part of buying things off of Amazon is definitely the ability to find good deals. But, for me, part of it is purely out of convenience. An item is $14 in the store and it's $15 on Amazon? I'll gladly pay $1 to have it put on my doorstep. I absolutely hate shopping in stores for most items. I literally have not even stepped foot in a Walmart for several years. I figure between the stuff I overpay for, and the stuff that I get deals on, it's probably a wash for me. But I save hours a month, money on gas, and don't have to have the hassle of dealing with a store. Not to mention the fact that Amazon's customer service is truly epic in the rare cases you do have an issue.

• Like Like x 3
  5. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

The local news on CBS announced that Amazon will be collecting Oklahoma sales tax. Guessing here but that's only state, not city or county. My state is changing the tax laws. Soon we will be no longer paying state tax on groceries, however, the catch is that we will soon be paying double our current tax on fuels. Up to 50% of people in my state are on Assistance. But 100% of people buy fuel. Oklahoma legislators know how to get another dollar from an already broke like a dick citizen.

6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Our subscribe and save is:

Protein powder
    Cat litter
    Condoms
    Face wash

I'd add our deodorant but that's only eligible for Prime Pantry, and I don't really buy much stuff that's eligible for PP.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Azharen

Azharen Getting Tilted

Mostly gifts for the grand kids, nieces and nephews. I'll buy electronics when I can afford them. Haven't used Pantry

8. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Pantry isn't available in my area

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

If Amazon has a warehouse or fulfillment center in OK, they should be collecting sales tax; any state where Amazon has nexus or a physical presence.

I get my new favorite coffee through subscribe and save:

Verena Street, Nine Mile Sunset, whole bean dark roast, 2LB (32oz.), Rainforest Alliance Certified

View: https://www.amazon.com/Verena-Rainforest-Alliance-Certified-Specialty/dp/B00X8LYNEW/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?s=specialty-aps-sns&ie=UTF8&qid=1488430375&sr=8-2&keywords=Verena%2BStreet%2C%2BNine%2BMile%2BSunset%2Bdark%2Broast%2C&th=1

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  10. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I buy many things through Amazon but nothing via subscription. Buy almost all the recurring purchases through Costco. I didn't grocery shop for years so the novelty--and the snacks--makes the Costco trip worthwhile. I use Amazon Prime literally all of the time because I am not a fan of most brick and mortar shopping. I did not set foot in Walmart for many years but finally did here in Arizona. It is a newer store, the staff is nice and prices are rock-bottom. Have saved a bunch on cosmetic items like ROC facial products as well as stuff where brand doesn't matter like laundry soap. I hesitate to subscribe to a service as our needs tend to fluctuate and we have little brand loyalty for many household items.