1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What's For Dinner Tonight?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Magpie, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Magpie

Magpie Getting Tilted

One of my favorite things to do on social networking sights is share the recipe for what I'm cooking for dinner that day. Thought we could all do that here as a fun way to share recipes.

To get things started here are the recipes I used for our meals this weekend.

Saturday
    Iowa Corn Casserole

Ingredients:
    • 1 package frozen corn kernels, thawed
    • 1/2 cup heavy cream
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 tablespoon butter
    • 1/2 cup whole milk
    • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    • 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    • 4 slices of bacon, diced
    • 1/2 cups
    • bread crumb
    • 1 chopped green pepper
    • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    Directions:
    • In a pot over medium heat, combine the corn, cream, salt, sugar, pepper and butter. Whisk together the milk and flour, and stir into the corn mixture. Cook stirring over medium heat until the mixture is thickened, and corn is cooked through. Remove from heat, and stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted
    • In a skillet, fry the bacon until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Pour 1/8 to 1/4 cup of bacon drippings over bread crumbs; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings; saute green pepper and onion in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the cream corn mixture, bacon and half of bread crumbs.
    • Spoon into a baking dish; sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings
    Sunday
    Cheesy Onion Casserole

Ingredients:
    • 1 large sweet white onions, sliced
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1 cups shredded Swiss cheese,
    • Pepper to taste
    • 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    • 2/3 cup milk
    • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
    • 4 slices French bread, buttered on both sides
    Directions:
    • In a skillet, saute onions in butter until transparent and slightly browned. Layer onions, two-thirds of the cheese and the pepper in a baking dish.
    • In a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk and soy sauce until blended; heat through. Pour over casserole and stir gently. Top with bread slices.
    • Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Press bread slices down under sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 2-4 servings.
    Martin and I have just finished eating this recipe. It turned out to be 2 servings to us. It definitely wasn't enough for us. I suggest serving this as a side dish or doubling the recipe. However it was Delicious.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Boned in ribeye steaks seasoned with sea salt, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a bit of chipolte powder. Baked potato with the skin drizzled in olive oil and seasoned with Weber's Garlic N Herb spicing. A spinach and mixed greens salad.

The ribeyes will be grilled medium rare on the Big Green Egg. The potato will be wrapped in foil and buried in the coals until it is properly baked and the skin is nice and crispy (not burned, just crispy) from the heat and olive oil.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Tilapia with dill cucumber sauce, served with steamed green beans and sauteed purple cabbage.

4. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Baked potato with butter, garlic, sour cream, and cheese. Sauteed green beans with cherry tomatoes.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Oh, I forgot: slivered almonds.

6. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

Teriyaki chicken rice bowls with mixed vegetables and corn on the cob. Yum!

7. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Leftover pasta with apple wood smoked bacon, tomatoes, onions, olive oil, red wine, basil, and garlic.

8. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Unfortunately, it was a three nights bonanza of Steak, and fresh veggies....

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Spinach and shrimp salad with ranch dressing. Mm, ranch.

10. DRP967

DRP967 New Member

Chicken wings and french fries w/honey mustard dipping sauce.

Lemon pepper and all drumsticks courtesy of Wingstop to be specific.

11. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Tonight's dinner was Pizza, and we are talking the frozen store bought kind, not the really good kind where you make it scratch or close to it.

12. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

went home looked in the freezer. was contemplating making ground chicken patties all day, with ginger and green onions chopped in. But the time being almost 5:30, there decided that there wasn't enough runway to prepare in a reasonable time (shoulda done the prep the night before). So heated up some frozen halibut, cut some sweet potatoes into wedges and broiled them, steamed some broccoli and at in 40 mins.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. snowy

Baked/fried tofu with summer veggies is what I'm planning for tonight. Basically, you slice well-drained tofu up, put it in the toaster oven until it's just starting to turn a wee bit brown, and then season it liberally--it will soak up whatever you're seasoning it with much better if it's dried out from the light baking you give it. Then, throw it in hot, hot oil until it's crispy, turn down the heat a bit, and add your veg.

I also considered making tempeh--for tempeh, you want a liberal amount of hot, hot oil and you really want to wait until it's very good and crispy before adding the veg. It will soak up whatever oil you put in there quite well, so you might consider frying it, moving it to a paper towel, cooking your veg, and adding it back in when the veg is nearly done.

14. EyeSeePeeDude

EyeSeePeeDude Getting Tilted

Pulled pork sandwich, baked beans & mashed potatoes.. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bear Cub

This, but to take it down a notch, it was microwaved leftovers.

16. CoffeeBee

CoffeeBee Slightly Tilted

Nothing fancy tonight. Chicken cutlets and a noodle-roni. Oh, and a salad.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Shiskabob(?) from Costco...and Jasmine Rice...

Tomorrow it's Pulled Pork from a Pork Roast in the Crock pot for 6 hours with onion, ginger ale and BQ sauce..it's great..

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bear Cub

Last night was stuffing, mac and cheese, and my portion - roasted chicken with lemon stuffed under the skin, coated in pepper, thyme, and rosemary. The skin didn't hold up, so my attempt at giving the chicken lemon boobs turned into a uniboob. Quite tasty, though.

• Like Like x 3
  19. snowy

Salad with BBQ chicken. Yum yum. I am looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Chicken enchiladas tonight, along with Spanish Rice and pinto beans.

• Like Like x 1