1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What's For Dinner Tonight?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Magpie, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Tonight will be leftover beef stew.

Last night was baked chicken breasts coated in a batter of egg, flour, garlic, Italian seasoning, & crumbled fried onions. With steamed broccoli, and rice cooked with mixed veggies and Italian seasoning.

• Like Like x 1
  2. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

We made chili cheese burgers with Fritos, I am stuffed. I like all food but comfort food is what we eat mostly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Tonight we went out to one of our favorite restaurants.

Mrs. Levite had the fluffiest fresh potato gnocchi with baby basil pesto, baked ricotta salata, haricots verts, mini potato crisps, and parmigiano reggiano; and a bowl of stunningly good Minestrone with toast and fresh mozzerella slice garnish. She had, along with it, a drink called the Jack Rose, comprised of applejack, house made grenadine, and lemon, garnished with Amarena cherries.

I had the best executed rainbow trout I have ever had-- perfectly filleted, perfectly deboned, subtly seasoned, and done to the perfect balance of crisp and moist-- served with a white wine sauce, crispy cauliflower, haricots verts, and caramelized Granny Smith apple. I drank a nice '12 Nebbiolo to go with it.

We shared, for dessert, a chocolate banana cake with malted milk gelato, honey gelato, and strawberry gelato, and a banana chocolate budino, garnished with chocolate malted milk crispy bits. Along with it, we shared a glass of Malmsey Madeira.

Incredible. It was like food was having sex in my mouth.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Could I ask where you had it at? Just curious if it's a place I know. Sounds like menu items from a Francesca's.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Levite

Ballaro, in Highwood, on Green Bay Road. Never been to Francesca's.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Borla

Thank you. Never heard of it, but since I'm way, WAY SW of the metro area, and that is far in the NNE, that explains it.

I'm assuming you've maybe heard of the Francesca's in the Chicago area? It is a small chain, though each location is somewhat unique. Not the fanciest or finest, but a really solid choice IMO. I've often described it as one of the better "bang for the buck" places. I've been to maybe 5-6 separate locations and always been happy with the food and service. The menu changes weekly, fresh ingredients, and they will often make you something off menu if you request it and they have what they need. Not sure on you exact location, but they are scattered throughout the area. :cool:

Chicago City | Francesca's Restaurants

• Like Like x 2
  7. Levite

Yeah, I've heard of it. TBH, I disregarded it because I tend to automatically avoid chains, unless I get word to not do so (like I do enjoy Lou Malnati's). But if you say it's worth it, I'll add it to the list. Not sure when we'd get a chance to try it-- we tend to go down to the city for dinner only rarely, and usually it's to explore the great classic places or the hidden gems. But I will definitely add it to the list.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Borla

I'm the same way with chains. Francesca's is nothing like a Macaroni Grill or Olive Garden, it's more like a family place. It started out as a single location on North Clark and slowly grew from there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BabyDaddy's Daddy is in town. I'm hoping I can persuade the BD to go to a brewery this evening so his father can taste some local beers. By the looks of our glass recycling this morning, I see that the two of them enjoyed some beers after I went to bed. If not, I have a lovely Tempranillo saved for this occasion. I don't know what we'd eat for dinner if we don't go to a brewery, but we would have some tasty wine at least.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris Noyb

Cottage pie (ground beef) with plenty of onion, green peas, & seasonings.
    Carrot, raisin, & apple salad.
    Desert will be homemade cheesecake topped with Oregon Three Berry Pie Filling.

• Like Like x 1
  11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Last night: Medium rare NY Strip, sauteed rainbow chard, roasted potatoes, and sourdough baguette, with grilled nectarines topped with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

It was super tasty. I used the reverse sear method from Serious Eats on the steak, and it turned out perfectly.

I used the vinaigrette from here for the potatoes: Roasted Greek Chicken and Potatoes In Lemon-Oregano Vinaigrette Recipe | Serious Eats This is the fourth time I've made potatoes this way, and they are always so good.

The Food Lab's Definitive Guide to Grilled Steak | Serious Eats

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I believe I will attempt to make that ( thought it was made with ground lamb ) or Sheppard pie not sure now will google later. I enjoy this thread. TFPers post all sorts of foods I never heard of. Taking for example that obviously wonderful and expensive dinner @Levite posted

• Like Like x 1
  13. Levite

It was wonderful, but for high-end restaurant food, it was actually quite affordable. Under $100, even with tip.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

For many people, that is not what they would consider affordable. For example, my MIL thinks restaurant meals should cost $12-15--anything more than that is outrageous! It makes me roll my eyes, as even in our small city, that's not very reasonable considering food costs these days.

15. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Sandy and I enjoy The Charleston in Tulsa we spend the same. So we go on special occasions

16. Chris Noyb

Generally speaking, real Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb; Cottage Pie covers just about any other meat. The only time we make real SP (rarely) is if we have some leftover lamb roast. BTW my wife spices up the CP quite a bit compared to most recipes.

------------------

The cost of eating out at a nice restaurant is relative to ones disposable income and/or the willingness to splurge.

-----------------

Tonight's dinner will be beef roast. I tenderized it by stabbing the hell out of it across the grain on both sides (note--when Kroger puts beef on sale for a really good price it's usually because the beef is tougher than an an old bull). I covered it with a package of onion soup mix, lots of garlic, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, & low sodium veggie juice. The veggies will be corn seasoned with red bell pepper, and green beans.

17. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

The Purple Pig was a let down Saturday, unfortunately. I've been hearing about it for years. I just want normal food tonight. We had decent Korean in Arlington Heights last night after surviving IKEA. I really just want to sit down and have someone make me a really good soup. This is the last move, thank goodness.

• Like Like x 1
  18. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I also hate moving, and love a good soup or stew. I can make a great soup from the fridge leftovers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

I made a good beef stew earlier in the week; for once I actually included enough carrots!

20. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Meal Prep Sunday!

2.65 lbs of 93/7 ground beef (6oz patties)
    2.65 lbs of chicken (6oz per meal)
    3 cups of rice cooking. (Curry with extra pepper)
    2# of frozen chopped Broccoli

2 Meals are liquid (breakfast and post-workout)
    1/2c of liquid egg whites
    Scoop of Protein Powder
    1tbls peanut butter

Make my meals and eat them during the week. M-F are in the fridge and saturday is in the freezer. Sunday I eat as I cook.

• Like Like x 3