1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What's For Dinner Tonight?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Magpie, Aug 7, 2011.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I made a roast beef the other day. tonight I roasted some asparagus. Ate it all with some homemade vinegar pickles.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Last night we went with several other couples to a restaurant that specializes in "large format" meals. We'd been there before, but always just the two of us, or with one other couple.

For the large format meals you need to order ahead, and they have options all the way from a whole boar, to whole alligator stuffed with whole chickens, to an entire lamb. You can also get combos of several large pieces, an entire rack of tomahawk ribeyes, antelope leg, and a few other choices.

We ordered a beef brisket, boar shoulder, and wagyu beef ribs. We had 9 people, and the restaurant suggested 3 items for groups of 8-10, and 4 items for more than 10 people. Let's just say we could've probably fed 15-18 people with our food. We brought home four 13" x 9" pans full of leftovers.

Here was the meat as brought out. That's one of the bigger iPhones for scale, but this pic still doesn't do it justice. The hunk of meat with the huge butcher knife in it is an entire 14-16# brisket. To the left is the beef ribs, and the two pieces in the lower right are the boar shoulder.
    [​IMG]

Ribs:
    [​IMG]

Brisket:
    [​IMG]

Boar:
    [​IMG]

Then there were sides like salad, roasted veggies, and some epic man 'n cheese:
    [​IMG]

Here is the menu, and a short vid on the restuarant:

https://www.thefrontierchicago.com/whole-animal-experience/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl3Wor2pVGc
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 3, 2022, Original Post Date: Sep 25, 2022 ---
    Had a fancy dinner out last night with good friends:

Some fancy acorn fed aged pork that was incredible:
    [​IMG]

Sesame rocoto, spicy tuna, and wasabi:
    [​IMG]

Oysters:
    [​IMG]

Foie gras lollipops:
    [​IMG]

Jamon iberico do bellota, osetra caviar, gold leaf, nori.............basically a caviar taco wrapped in a cured meat tortilla:
    [​IMG]

French onion soup shots:
    [​IMG]

Caprese (had to have SOME veggies.....barely, lol):
    [​IMG]

Kobe eye of ribeye from Hyogo Prefecture, Ohmi Wagyu strip from Shiga Prefecture, and Satsuma Wagyu tenderloin from Kagoshima Prefecture:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Washugyu bone in strip loin:
    [​IMG]

And some desserts that I don't remember the name of and can't find on the menu, lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

We made Spanish rice, pinto beans, & chicken enchiladas, with Pico de Gallo as a side. Homemade except the corn tortillas and some canned chilies and tomatoes used in the recipes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I just put our sweet potato pie in the oven and finished the cranberries.
    No pictures because things aren't done yet!

• Like Like x 1
  5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Kept it simple last night,

Shredded chicken off a left-over roast
    Shelled pasta
    Pesto, with all the good stuff (got it from Costco)

No brainer but tasty.
    It's one of my favorite meals these days.

Tonight, ham steak, green beans and stuffing.

Nothing special for T-day. Already did it with friends this past weekend.
    Just staying away from the crowds for today, the holiday and Black Friday.
    Maybe I'll do Chinese Food or Indian again, that's what my mother and I had last year. (Now a tradition?? ;) )

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

We were going to do ox tail soup tonight, but we have almost zero room for any more leftovers, our fridge is packed. Our leftovers lunch (pizza), & a leftovers dinner (to be determined) tonight will free up some space.

Tomorrow we'll keep it relatively simply, do a baked ham (using whatever glaze mix we decide to make), small green bean casserole, & actual baked yams (not the gooey marshmallows dish). Desert will be ice cream we already have.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

My wife cooked the ox tail soup yesterday. I couldn't get parsnips at Our Pathetic Kroger, so I bought turnips and red potatoes; she used the turnips. I also bought some dense, like chibata, French bread.

I'm preparing myself for scooping the gelled fat off the top of the leftover soup. Yes, it's going to be that bad.

• Like Like x 1
  8. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Last night I had a meatball sandwich from frozen meatballs.
    I built the sandwich like it was a hamburger. Spinach instead of lettuce, cheese, tomato. Plus potato chips.

These days I'm looking to cheat the labors of food prep.

• Like Like x 2