1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What's on the menu for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Cayvmann, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

We are going to our son's friend's family for Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday. They are Americans so they celebrate Thanksgiving in November. It's a little odd for Canadians to celebrate Thanksgiving so close to Christmas, but I am sure we will manage. ;) As requested, I will be making a Guinness chocolate cheesecake.

I am two weeks away from our Thanksmas feast. Prep has already begun.

2. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Wow, somehow I forgot about my sister-in-law's home made sausage stuffing.
    Winner, winner.
    I probably can eat again some time mid next week.

3. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

Grandma is making turkey, so I brought a few sides today. First up is Sweet Potato Gratin with sage, rosemary, thyme, and parsley drenched in butter and real cream with gruyere melted over the top. I'm also roasting some halved brussel sprouts with red grapes and some sea salt and the wife and I made some cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries, oj, and stevia this morning. It all tastes excellent.

4. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Just me and hubby, we had a low key day filled with cooking, baking, eating, and napping. He took a sugar pumpkin and transformed it into a delicious pumpkin pie. He also made a bacon-cheese weave which, since I'm a vegetarian, he enjoyed on his own. I made a crispy sourdough dressing with fresh garden herbs walnuts and cranberries, then some buttery steamed broccoli, and a sinfully delightful cream cheese potato dish.

5. Tophat665

Tophat665 Slightly Tilted

At the Tophat household: The Missus made a turkey breast with applewood bacon, Stuffing from a box, canned Baked Beans and Broadbeans, Mashed potatoes, and crescent rolls. I made broiled corn with onions, peppers, and cheese and two kinds of cookies for dessert: Cherry/Pine Nut White Chocolate chip, and Candied Bacon Butterscotch Chip Oatmeal. And we got a Pumpkin Pie from cossco and a bottle of meh Zinfindel. Mom and the girls drank sparkling cider, and I set up the girls with a short Kahlua Sombrero for afters (is tradition in my family that kids are allowed a weak drink on holidays. Sombreros, Irish Cream with Milk, A short glass of wine, brandied eggnog, that sort of thing.)

6. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Well, the wife made an apple cobbler, so I did get some pie. Good stuff. Hope you all enjoyed your dinners

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Time to start thinking about it! Although it will likely be a sedate Thanksgiving this year due to family circumstances, I'm looking forward to it. I'm actually not sure what the plan is, and I don't know who is hosting. It's never stopped me before! I know I'll plan on making my caramel apple pie or my frosted apple cake for sure.

Anyone else looking ahead at Thanksgiving?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I'm supposed to go to my sister's for Thanksgiving. FSM save me!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. FreeVerse

FreeVerse Screw Tilted, I'm all the way upside down.

The last 4 Thanksgivings I've been at home alone, with my daughter and my parents going to my sister's place(with her inlaws etc getting together there). So it has been a pasta holiday of one kind or another those years for me. This year, my brother in law isn't getting on well with his parents so has decreed that my sister will not be cooking, so I'd assume my sister, brother in law and her kids will be here with my parents and my daughter. *sighs* So much for a lovely peaceful holiday to be thankful for. So, that would bring my mother's "lineup" into play - Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, corn, Ham, au gratin potatoes, green bean casserole, cauliflower/broccoli/cheese casserole, rolls/breads of an assorted variety(bakery, not made), and the pies, pumpkin, apple & cherry. The crazy variety instead of the basic standard would be because of various individuals pickiness and my mother trying to make enough for everyone to pick and choose and have a plate full of things they find palatable.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

We're excited. This is year the solar and lunar calendars come into a once-in-20,000-years conjunction, so that Chanukah falls so early that Thanksgiving occurs during Chanukah.

Thanksgivukah this year!

So along with our turkey and cranberry relish, roasted brussels sprouts, sweet corn and roasted squash, and pumpkin pie, I'm making sweet potato latkes and applesauce, challah dressing (stuffing), and pecan pie rugelach.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

mmmmm. Levite, that sounds great. I like the latkes idea. Does sour cream go with them? Can Adam Sandler work Thanksgivukah into a song?
    --- merged: Oct 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM ---
    We celebrated Thanksgiving just on this past Monday (...sorry folks, Canadian here. Oh how typical, apologizing for that. Sorry! oh .. damn...) And i just posted this dessert pic in our T-G thread: a home-made Apple cake with cranberries and walnuts. I purposely under ate the main course to make way for this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  12. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

We had a little Thanksgiving test run here yesterday.
    We raised 4 turkeys this year.
    There was a large white, 2 medium sized, and a little bourbon red that we named Pecky.
    Monday morning they went to the butcher.
    I brought them home, realized we had very little freezer space but crammed in 3 of them.
    I kept out one of the medium sized ones (about 10 pounds) and brined it Monday night.
    Cooked it on the smoker Tuesday with apple wood for smoke.
    Served with baked butternut squash and fresh homemade cranberry sauce.
    Words don't do it justice, I wish I had taken pictures.
    Fresh, free-ranged turkey is a real treat, especially if you can get one under 14 pounds and cook it on a smoker.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Levite

They would probably be good with sour cream, but at Thanksgivukah, we'll have them with spiced applesauce, since we aren't permitted to eat meat and dairy together in the same meal.

Good idea about the Adam Sandler song! Someone should get him on that....

14. I'm having dinner with my Japanese in-laws this year.

I was told there will be noodles and other Japanese type dishes. Squid probably, but definitely some sort of fish with head intact.

My mil is a phenomenal cook and I'm sure I'll love whatever she serves. She usually fixes me a dish sans fish heads. However, I'm from the Midwest. At my Thanksgivings growing up there were casseroles with lots of butter as amazing side dishes for the Turkey...a turkey that I don't eat, but the side dishes I devour. Mounds of mashed taters. And tons and tons of desserts. I want that. I am homesick and I want comfort food.

There was talk about going to Ohio for Thanksgiving this year, but we're waiting to visit Ohio after BabySquirrel is born. The plan is to go to Ohio as soon as it's safe to travel with her and then again for the 2014 Turkey Day. I have told DaddySquirrel that I would like the tradition to be: Ohio for Thanksgiving and Oregon for Christmas. I prefer Thanksgiving over Christmas and would rather be with my family for a lovely turkey dinner. I think BabySquirrel should be with her only living grandparents for Christmas. DaddySquirrel thinks it's a fine idea.

Since I won't be going home this Thanksgiving, I'm thinking of having a Midwestern Dinner the day after Thanksgiving. I'll try to recreate my family's dishes as best I can. I might even fix a turkey and invite any friends who want to attend.

Hopefully it will help with the homesickness.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Saiorse

Saiorse Vertical

MAKING NEW HOLIDAY TRADITIONS AFTER LOSING LOVED ONES:
    Trying to find a way to make this Thanksgiving ok, since my long-time spouse died this past March.
    I read that with grief, one way to handle holidays is to set new traditions with remaining members of family/friends.
    It's only my son, grandson and myself up north now for this year. I am homesick and would prefer to be going home, surrounded by family I haven't seen for a long time. I am thankful I'm surviving a very stressful 2013, soon a new year.

Since I love Prime Rib - we decided we are going to have Salad, Vegetables, Loaded Baked Potato, Prime Rib, Rolls, and for desert - Chocolate Silk Pie and Strawberry Cheese Cake.

I like breakfast for supper, so why not mix it up and eat my favorite food at Thanksgiving?
    (at least I'm consistently weird)

How's that for an unusual Thanksgiving dinner? It may become one of our family's "new traditions".
    Any excuse to eat prime rib is good with me...... :D

16. snowy

Last Thanksgiving, I ended up being super sick, so I didn't cook basically anything.

This year, I'm already planning ahead. I've got the makings for homemade crescent rolls. They'll go in the freezer until Turkey Day proper. I'm also signed up for a pumpkin pie content with friends, so it means I've got to get on mastering my pumpkin chiffon pie (http://www.thekitchn.com/family-recipe-m-160825; calls for gelatin and the last vegetarian substitute I tried didn't work out well).

I may have also purchased a 3-pack of Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix from Costco. In my family, nothing else will do.

17. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Going to my ex's so I'm not going to be doing any cooking.
    I'll see what I can bring, maybe a pie.
    I like mince meat but nobody else does.

Last year since it was Hanukkah and Thanksgiving I make a special menu including Challah stuffing, a Manachevitch brined turkey, pastrami grilled brussel sprouts, and pumpkin noodle kugel.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'm bound and determined to bring something paleo to Thanksgiving. And it'll be spectacular. My family is straight southern... Everything has cream, sugar, flour, or potatoes or "it ain't worth a space on the table." I'm going to rock it out.

19. Levite

Don't know yet what the full menu will look like. I'll definitely be making my cranberry-raspberry-citrus relish, and I'll roast a turkey-- the family expects it, though personally, I'd prefer duck or chicken-- and there'll probably be some sort of dressing and potato or sweet potato. I'm thinking about making my famous spiced apple-raisin pie for dessert.

• Like Like x 1
  20. snowy