1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What's on the menu for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Cayvmann, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I very far behind in my Thanksmas preparations.

I need to get my shit together.

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

So, for Thanksgiving, I'm responsible for bringing a vegetarian dish. I'm pretty sure my MIL is expecting my mushroom Wellington. I'm probably going to make something else instead, though. I haven't decided what, yet, and if all else fails, mushroom Wellington it is.

I'm also responsible for bringing the rolls. I'm going to be making homemade crescent rolls with a recipe from Baker's Illustrated (a cookbook from the Cook's Illustrated people), as well as milk rolls using this recipe: Baker's percentages | The TFP I'm also considering making a third batch of rolls that would be on the crunchier side of things, probably using a high-hydration dough that utilizes some kind of preferment. I'm going to get out my Reinhart and make some decisions, as I really want a showstopping bread basket this year.

Go big or go home, I say!

3. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Last year was a non-event for me and not looking any more exciting this year. I am definitely working a dayshift at one job and am open to working another shift at the restaurant.
    Might try to eat an actual meal this year though through whatever means. All I remember from last year is that it was quiet and what I ate was sparse at best.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  4. redux

redux Very Tilted

5. snowy

6. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  7. omega

omega Very Tilted

I will be working that day. I know my girlfriend and her mother and kids will be doing a fairly traditional thanksgiving dinner. I should be done around 6p that night. If I'm not cleaning up some bad driving

8. My DIL brought the tradition of Thanksgiving Breakfast to the family. We'll head over to my son's house @9:30-ish, have coffee and other beverages then feast on turkey and the trimmings before settling in to watch a little football. I like it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. snowy

I want that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. genuinemommy

Yeah, that is a neat tradition!

11. snowy

We had the option of going to my auntie's for Thanksgiving this year, since my MIL is hosting her family. But we didn't really think about it as a feasible choice until after we'd committed to going to my in-laws. While that will be fun, my auntie and uncle and their SOs are all football people, and we would have spent the day enjoying games together.

• Like Like x 1
  12. genuinemommy

We feel we're being pulled in a bunch of different directions this Thanksgiving. It's really, really frustrating. We really just wanted to take the couple of extra days off to prepare for our move.

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

That's never easy. It's how I feel at Christmas a lot of times, and why I really, really want to spend Christmas in Hawaii one year. There are good things and bad things about having all of my husband's family in a 30-mile radius while my own parents live 300 miles away.

• Like Like x 2
  14. genuinemommy

We have no nearby family. Well, one cousin 100 miles away. No, we're being asked by family 1,000+ miles away to visit them. And not just one side - family from Tt's side has invited us out West and then it doesn't help that there's a massive last-minute family reunion/funeral in NY for my side. We can't really say no to that one.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  15. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I have no idea. We usually have TGD with my mom & one of my sisters, and everyone brings a couple of dishes. That probably isn't going to happen because of some family issues.

Rant on.
    Way to go, mom. Being a petty bitch toward your daughter & SIL who live a two minute walk from you was not a smart move. Of course you'd rather play stupid ("I didn't mean it the way you're taking it") than admit to being wrong. You're going to end up as warped & bitter as your batshit crazy younger sister.
    Rant off.

16. snowy

• Like Like x 1
  17. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

OMG, it was a total success!

I got an organic, free-range/pasture-raised bird (which is both hard to find and ridiculously expensive if you want it to also be kosher), roasted it with onions, apples, sage, and thyme, with the whole well-rubbed down with duck fat. It came out perfectly: incredibly moist, tender, delectably flavorful. The drippings were mixed with flour, stock, pepper, and rum to make gravy.

There was a wheat- and rye-bread dressing, with duck sausage, fresh sweet corn, dried apple, chestnut, and onion, as well as various herbs and spices.

I made raw cranberry relish, with lime, raspberry, sour cherry, pomegranate seeds and pomegranate molasses, mulberry molasses, spices, and sugar.

There was roasted broccoli, and artichokes with garlic "butter" (organic soy margarine). There was roasted acorn squash with sweet spices and brown sugar.

I made creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes made with soy sour cream and plenty of pepper.

For dessert (separately from dinner), one of our friends brought homemade derby pie and apple sour cream pie, for which I made fresh whipped cream, and we served it with Jeni's ice cream.

I actually cannot believe that everything came out just right!

• Like Like x 1
  18. genuinemommy

Yay for family Levite! Glad it went so well for you! Any meal that ends with Jeni's is a success.

I lucked out. Drive to NY was uneventful and after I checked into the hotel, I got ahold of my cousin. Tomorrow is the big Thanksgiving feast, and we've been invited! I'm so excited. I hope I can find something delicious pre-made at Wegman's tomorrow to bring. I always make sure I bring something just in case... No one knows I'm a vegetarian on this side of the family (well Uncle did, but his death is what brought us together)...

Anyhew. I am safe, happy, and warm tonight. And tomorrow holds great promise.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Our annual Thanksmas party is next Saturday. We have 65 guests confirmed for this year.

I am making:

3 full turkeys
    2 beef tenderloins
    2 legs of lamb
    2 all belly porchetta

Roasted Squash
    Stuffing for 60 -- not stuffed, so I suppose it's better called dressing.

2 pumpkin pies
    2 pecan pies

And a load of appetizers on sticks...

We also have five kegs of homebrew (two by me, the rest from my mates).

The rest of the food is being brought by others... I can't do it all myself.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Since our, wife & I, TG dinner was just us, we still have 3/4 of a glazed ham left.

Even deboned, that's a lot of ham.