1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What's on the menu this week?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by snowy, Nov 8, 2015.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I prepare most of my meals for the week on Sunday. It helps us minimize food waste, save money, and save time. I'm often tired when I get home from work, so having a meal pretty much ready to go helps considerably!

I keep track of the menus I make for the different weeks using Google Keep. It lets me share my list with my husband, in case he's the one responsible for grocery shopping that week. It also lets me flip back through what we've done in previous weeks so I can get a sense of when we ate certain things last.

I have a kind of template as I think of what to plan: only one meal a week can be curry, regardless of national origin (otherwise we would eat curry twice a week in various forms), and then I also usually include a Mexican meal, a Greek/Italian meal, and some kind of "comfort food." There are some wild cards that get worked in, too. I also try to think of preparation/cooking methods: Dutch oven, slow cooker, saute, casserole, etc. Kits can be prepped for anything, more or less, and lots of things can be reheated. I also try to choose things that have similar ingredients, so I'm not buying or prepping a lot of different things.

This week's menu:
    1) Sweet potato red lentils (see Crockpot Sweet Potato Lentils - Pinch of Yum for template recipe), which I cook in the slow cooker, leave in the insert, and reheat once home (takes about an hour); this counts as our curry for the week

2) A minestrone soup with a little bit of everything; many soups start from a basic mirepoix (vegetable, split pea, white bean, lentil) and deviate from there; it will serve as dinner tonight and lunches for the rest of the week

3) Fajitas; I cut up everything and put it into a Ziploc with seasonings

4) Sesame noodles (see Cold Sesame Noodles Recipe | Martha Stewart) with loads of vegetables and lemongrass tofu (see Recipe: Bánh Mì with Lemongrass Tofu — Lunch Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn for marinade); any Asian noodle can be prepped ahead of time, rinsed, and tossed with a mixture of canola and sesame oil to keep them from sticking together

Tuesday we'll likely eat out, as we have plans, and we usually eat out either Thursday or Friday.

How do you prep ahead? What's on your menu for this week?

2. Taneytown

Taneytown Guest

Been on a huge BBQ run. Can't seem to get enough of it on me.

3. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Tomorrow starts the new 6 meals a day bulking diet my personal trainer made for me. Lots of meat (Tuna, Chicken, Turkey, Lean Beef).. Rice, veggies, yogurt, oats, and fruit in various amounts through the day. I prep til Thursday and so on Wednesday I prep for Friday Saturday Sunday.

I normally like cooking my meals per night but now that Cinn and I don't eat any of the same foods, I prep for half weeks at a time.

4. Taneytown

Taneytown Guest

Good information.

5. It's amazing that I have survived this long without this level of organization. Yet, there has always been food available when it's time to eat.

6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

But then I have to exert more effort when I'm tired, or wait for my spouse to cook. Also, if I do the cooking, he does the chores!

• Like Like x 1