1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What's that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by issmmm, Aug 9, 2011.

1. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

With color, it's not the brain rewiring itself to process inputs differently, it's a negative afterimage due to the cones in the eye having exhausted their supply of photopigments of the color of the glasses.

• Like Like x 1
  2. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

That's true with the "stare at the flag for 30 seconds, then look at a blank white space" illusions. After wearing tinted glasses for more than 30 minutes, the brain actually does begin to reinterpret the colour spectrum to what "should" be normal. It's not a complete effect, but is inherently different from the rhodopsin bleaching phenomenon of the staring-type illusions. The partial effect-nature results in only some of the colours being recoded, and like image inversion, is a temporary one.
    --- merged: Aug 11, 2011 2:20 AM ---
    One of the nasty things that can be done with amphibians (toads/frogs) is to invert their eyes (they absolutely refuse to wear glasses for the experiment). What happens is that a fly dangled above them is seen as below them, and the tongue shoots downwards, instead of up at the fly. The effect is permanent, as the processing of the visual input is done in the eye, not in the brain, so there is no correction for the mistake. The animal will starve itself.

To the best of my knowledge, no human has ever actually volunteered for the eye inversion, but we assume that the brain would handle it the same as with prisms.

3. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

Why can I read upside down & write backwards?

4. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

Skill? or you're dyslexic? lol

Actually, a friend of mine was brought a grade one student to interview one day. The child was showing signs of a form of dyslexia in that he would read words backwards. My friend saw him in his office at the university and chatted with him for awhile, and found him to be quite interesting and intelligent and sent him back to school. A couple of days later he saw him again for another interview. The third time they got together, they walked over to the SUB and had some ice-cream. When they got back to the office, he said to the kid "well, I guess we should get at that reading, don't you think?"

The kid, who by now figured my friend was just this really neat guy to chat with, promptly replied, "Sure... how do you want me to do it? The normal way, or backwards?" Turns out the kid had pronounced one word backwards and the teacher had pounced on him. He liked the attention, so he did it again, and again, until he got taken out of class and got to go talk to this neat old guy at the university. He could read perfectly well (better than average), but just loved the attention :p

5. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

Thank you for all that great feedback, folks. Without knowing much about the physiology of eye/brain interaction, I thought the yellow lens caused some kind of alteration to the sensitivity of color receptors. But I really like the idea that it "rewires" the brain and now I'm dying to use greywolf's phrase "mammalian encephalisation of sensory processing" next time my wife claims I don't hear what she's saying.

Btw, that also just reminded me of various psycho-acoustic effects I've experienced. I used to be somewhat of a functional audiophile back before I lost half my hearing from my kids screaming in my ears (especially the right ear when they got old enough to be front seat passengers ...hey, I should look into right hand drive to balance this effect... ) plus the blasting sounds of the hiphop music they like to listen to at ear shattering volumes. In any case, what I'm trying to say is that there are so many influences in how you hear something; even the same exact thing heard on different days when you might not be in as good a mood, or you might be a litttle more tired, those things can greatly alter how something sounds to you. So I'm sort of equating that with the pliable brain idea mentioned above.

6. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

Ocm?,
    try this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

I recall I was receiving a blowjob my freshman year of college, and a recording of the London cast of Les Miserables was playing in the background. I discovered that I was finally understanding some of the lyrics that I had glossed over in previous listenings.

8. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

in the matrix there was a phalic thing they shoved in the back of you head when you wanted to learn something
    did it have a name?

What's that?

9. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Fascinating. Any chance you can point me toward publications for either or am I going to spend my lunch breaks this week haranguing the bio department and searching JSTOR at work?

10. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

I wish I could... but I'm years removed from my psychology/neurophysiology days. Many years. I should have mentioned that in case some of my explanations have been superseded by more recent research. I have recently been re-cataloging my library at home, and I've noticed that a lot of my texts for that area are missing, so I can't even tell you where I originally read the original research. I will take a look around, and if I come up with something, I'll let you know.