1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Whats the best way to store data?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Strange Famous, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

That is what I was thinking of doing. Shooting in 99% RAW has huge advantages but small files are not one of them. That and the ever expanding digital collection in lossless codecs (wavpack currently, but that could change yet again down the road) are good at consuming space.
    One of the best options I was coming up with so far was to buy a new SATA drive and good external enclosure - as in not western digital MyBook junk- and change all of the files over to a new drive every year or two or as needed.

2. Pixel

Pixel Getting Tilted

RAID is the key. DVDs will deteriorate over time, but hard drives will fail. Might be after a week or a decade, but it will happen.