1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by snowy, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Oh wow! 108+ most of the summer! How long have you lived there? is the heat bearable to you?

2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I would melt

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sierra Vertical

Nearly 20 years Wildmermaid! The heat is something awful when out and about but fortunately I have a block (50's cross between cinder and brick) house so it stays relatively cool with a well operating Swampcooler :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ralphie250

the humidity and heat combined is what makes it so bad here

5. Mid 70s...in August....in Chicago....Pretty weird. Not completely complaining. Preparing to take the family out for a day trip while the weather is still nice.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

63 here, the sky had a hazy phase but that seems to dissipated and now it is gloriously sunny! It will be in the mid to high 70s here today. :)

7. ralphie250

8. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

We had a huge thunderstorm last night between midnight and 2:00am. Over an inch of rain in an hour at the airport, and even more in some parts of town. They called it a "microburst." We had big tree branches torn out of our ash, maple, and oak. One downed maple branch was at least 8" The whole back yard was littered with branches. Weather radar showed an 87mph straight line wind gust, and over 16,000 homes lost power.

Then, another blast at about 5:00am, high winds and another 1/2" rain in about an hour while the Lincoln Electric System (city owns the elec. company) crews were trying to restore peoples power. Our power flicked off and back on several times, but the UCC Church (we go there sometimes) down the street had to cancel their services. Mid-afternoon there were still more than a hundred intersections without working traffic lights.

Our friends from Boston, who are here for tomorrow's total solar eclipse had a window blown out of their motorhome parked in our driveway bailed out and we all spent a couple of hours in the basement. They were terrified, never having been through a big great-plains thunderstorm. Sig patched their window -- found a block down the street -- and they pitched in with the yard cleanup, chain sawing, Sawz-alling, lopping and raking. Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 11.23.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 11.25.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 11.27.02 PM.png

Well, I guess the missing tree cover in the back yard should make it easier to see the eclipse.:)

• Like Like x 2
  9. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Just glad you'll are okay.

• Like Like x 3
  10. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

@Chris Noyb my Houstonian friend.
    I will hope for you that this hurricane doesn't destroy any part of your life.
    I have you and yours in my thoughts and heart. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I haven't seen anything from @Chris Noyb for a while. Hope he's OK.

• Like Like x 2
  13. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Gorgeous :cool:

It's a lay at the pool day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

We're getting long breaks between heavy downpours. The big unanswered question is where is Harvey going to go? We're saturated; hopefully we won't get the amounts of rain being predicted.

I've been back after nearly two months away; I'm running on empty, haven't posted much.

• Like Like x 3
  15. redravin

Still cloudy and blah but not raining like it has been for the past couple of weeks.
    I'm supposed to go to an outdoor wedding this afternoon, I hope it holds.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Chris Noyb

The bands of heavy thunderstorms moved about 60-90 miles east of Houston. There has been some tornadic activity in the past hour on the NW side of Houston.

We dodged a bullet this afternoon, but Harvey could keep us guessing for a few more days.

17. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I kiss rain. And hurricanes. Chicago might be cool today, but it's still dry.

18. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

It was beautiful today. Spent most of it outside at a BBQ and on my motorcycle. A few rain drops popped up unexpectedly, but not even enough to make me stop and put my jacket on.

Hope everyone down TX way is staying safe.

• Like Like x 2
  19. redravin

It was raining like a beast out to the wedding but when we got up to the mountain pass where she was having it things were cloudy but decent enough.
    We got all the way through the ceremony and it started raining a just as the pastor was wrapping up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Noyb

We had water about ankle deep in 90% of our house last night. It rained hard enough to for the water to pond in our back yard, which turned into a lake, which got into our house. After doing what we could from about 9:30PM to 1:00AM, we finally went to bed. We've been trying to clean up since about 7:30 this morning.

The forecast are now saying Harvey could affect our weather through Thursday. Like what happened last night all it will take is too much rain in a short time to re-flood our house.

Harvey is much like an Allison re-run.

I'm posting this waiting for the naproxen sodium to take affect.

• Informative Informative x 1