1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What's your favorite burger?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Craven Morehead, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Since the Canada/Murica thread is now in a ketchup/mayo skirmish, I thought it would be interesting to discuss favorite burger toppings.

Yeah, most of the time its ketchup, mustard and dill pickles for me. Toasted buns with cheddar or Velveeta cheese melted on the bun. But for a change, I'll chop up olives (green, not the pimentos) and just use the chopped olives and mayo on the burger. Sometimes with melted provolone or swiss, sometimes not.

I enjoy going to 'gourmet' burger restaurants, like Red Robin and trying something off the wall. But usually those burgers are just too loaded with so many toppings that they become difficult to eat. However, they are nice for a change. I do like the Jack Daniels burger at T.G.I. Fridays. I avoid fast food burgers like the plague.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Ketchup is for french fries and kids under 10. :p

That said, I like variety on my burgers. My go to toppings are probably just mustard, hamburger pickles, onion, and cheese (usually American or mild cheddar). But I love making a home made chili cheeseburger (also add mustard and onion to that). You can't go wrong with cheddar cheese, bacon, and BBQ sauce either. I'd argue most burgers are awesome with a sunny-side up egg tossed on top too.

I usually don't want so many toppings stacked on top that you lose the flavor of good beef, but I am really open to most varieties of toppings. Except ketchup. :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Is it just Chicagoans or Northerners in general that have an aversion to ketchup on burgers and hotdogs? :D

I like to combine ketchup, bbq sauce and chipotle hot sauce and put it on top of the cheese along with sauteed onions.

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Well, if you're talking about chain stores, then Five Guys...cheeseburger with grilled onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, lettuce and ketchup.

But if given some choice, then I like Red Robin's mushroom/swiss burger.
    Sometimes I like a California burger with avocado and sprouts on it. ...maybe with salsa.

If done at home or on the grill, a cheese burger, medium rare...with tomatoes and ketchup.

Hate mustard or pickles on it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Bison burger with blue cheese, mushrooms, and bacon is my favorite. Otherwise, I also love a burger with avocado, bacon, and some kind of spicy mayo (chipotle, or I mix sriracha and mayo at home).

• Like Like x 2
  6. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

This thread makes me hungry

• Like Like x 2
  7. I'm a big fan of a BBQ cheeseburger with bacon, sauteed onions, and cheddar cheese (the sharper the better) on a toasted bun.

My typical go-tos are usually ketchup (hate me!), mustard, pickle, mayo.

Also, Five Guys. Always Five Guys. I wish we had one of those 'round my neck of the woods...

• Like Like x 1
  8. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Before you worry about what to put on top of it you have to think about what's in it.
    You want the best burger you ever have had? Start with a 50/50 mix of beef/ground pork.

My favorite topping for that? Sliced avocado and ketchup, sauteed onions.
    I'll go with Borla and say you can't go wrong with an egg either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I have a burger I make with 50% 93/7 beef and 50% hot ground italian sausage. Add in some cajun seasonings, pepperjack cheese, caramelized onions, BBQ sauce, and serve on an onion bun.

• Like Like x 2
  10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Just went to a local burger joint on Friday for the first time. It's in a nearby town, and when we're over there, I often insist on going to Red Robin. Hubs likes it there because he can get any burger made with a veggie patty. I'm glad we went somewhere new--it was better than RR! OMG. SOOOO GOOD. I have to go back. He liked the new place because he can get any burger with a veggie patty, just like RR. Plus, the service was better :p They do a 50/50 beef/bacon patty that I really want to try next time. They also do what they call a Fattymelt--a burger in between two grilled cheeses. :D I see myself eating there a lot in the future.

I really like guacamole, pepperjack, and bacon on burgers--but they have to be balanced. I don't want to taste all guacamole or all pepperjack. They have to sing in concert with one another. I also like blue cheese, mushrooms, Swiss, sauteed onions...lots of things. I like burgers. The critical piece is that it can't be overcooked. I like a good burger sauce or secret sauce. My favorite is from one of the brewpubs where I worked as a line cook. It's mayo and Gulden's mustard mixed together.

• Like Like x 2
  11. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

A local restaurant I've raved about before will sear both sides in a cast iron pan, then fill the pan halfway with the beer of your choice (Oskar Blues Ten Fidy is an excellent choice for this) and put it on the cool side of the oven (relatively speaking, the side that's only ~750°) until the beer cooks off and the center is still just a bit light pink. Top it with two slices of thick-cut bacon hot off the grill, extra sharp cheddar, and some worcestershire sauce. Served on your choice of roll, bread, English muffin, or wrapped in lettuce.

At home, mix 8oz chopmeat or 6oz beef and 2oz sausage or veal with 1/2tsp each of sea salt and fresh ground pepper, with a dash of garlic if you're so inclined. Roll into a ball, drop into hot pan for 15 seconds before flattening, flip as soon as it's ready to be flipped, same for the other side, then cook 45s or so per side 3 times per side for rare, 4 for medium rare (none of that "only flip a burger once" BS, that's a great way to dry it out,) top with cheese and BBQ sauce or steak sauce.

• Like Like x 1
  12. As an adjunct to this topic also post your favorite burger joints. Some of us travel..... :D

Here's two:
    Redamak's - The Hamburger that made New Buffalo,Michigan Famous!
    But it will close on Oct 20 for the winter. Wonderful cheeseburgers, swimming in Velveeta

Triple XXX Family Restaurant - Triple XXX Restaurant - Indiana's Best Burgers
    Actually ground fresh sirloin burgers. Just a block or two from Purdue University.

I can't really say which is best. Probably Redamak's as it is closer. I need to get there one last time before it closes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I've eaten here! I wanted to try the peanut butter topped burger. Surprisingly delicious!

• Like Like x 1
  14. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I recently had a PB&J burger that was awesome. Peanut hummus, fig jam and fresh sliced peaches, blue cheese and pecans. It was amazing. Not my everyday burger, for sure, but a fun change on the regular thing. I'd definitely get it again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I really love a good quality burger with just dill slices, yellow mustard, and ketchup. Sometimes a little mayo, tomato or lettuce, too. Or sharp cheddar.

My favorite is bleu cheese and burger. On a toasted wheat bun.
    Or avocado and vegannaise. Vegannaise just tastes better to me.
    Portobello braised in red wine and garlic on a wheat bun with vegannaise and avocado... good lord, I think I'm actually hungry.

I just had an amazing veggie burger at CK's Restaurant in the IAH Marriot a few days ago... quinoa, black beans, soo much deliciousness. The sous chef is a vegetarian and developed his own recipe. With avocado and hummus on a wheat bun, it was divine.

16. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I think that you can make a burger to complicated. I've never cared for those concoctions that consist of a beef patty with the better part of a chef's salad dropped on top. "Where's the beef?" like the little old lady used to say.
    I like a burger that's juicy, probably 85/15 beef, cooked medium, with American cheese, onions, (either raw or sauteed with peppers and garlic) and possibly bacon. Plenty of black pepper, not too much salt.
    Ketchup and other stuff on the side (or on the table) for me to add if I choose. No mustard. Mustard is for ham, not hamburger. Mayo is good sometimes, but no lettuce or tomato. They belong in the salad that you eat WITH the burger, not ON the burger.
    I'll usually only eat the bottom half of the bun, or maybe no bun at all, and use a fork.

And a veggie patty is NOT A BURGER. Nothing against vegetarians, but why turn vegetables into some kind of ersatz meat? I don't understand that. Veggies are perfectly capable of standing on their own, and better that way than trying to be something that they are not.
    One weird one that I liked, I had a burger at one of the Italian steakhouses in Omaha, server open-faced, like a chiliburger, but smothered in alfredo sauce with sauteed mushrooms. Sounds dreadful, but it was great!
    I know ther's a lot of McDonalds haters on this board, but McDonalds cheap McDouble is really a pretty good basic Bb burger. Have them leave off the reconstituted onions. For $1 they are much better than anyone has any right to expect. Beef and cheese, baby; that's what makes a good burger!:D And a McDouble fresh off the grill is great!

• Like Like x 1
  17. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I love a couple of McGangbangs squished together with no bun when I'm on the run. It's easy to devour, and cheap. The town I'm working in only has a McDonald's and a DQ. The line at DQ is usually waaaay too long since it's closer to the school, so I end up at McDonalds once in a while.

18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

With all due respect, I think you're imposing your own tastes upon others, rather than upholding any sort of standard (or purism). No one can really confirm what a "true hamburger" is. I've concluded myself that it's more or less ground beef between bread of some kind. (Open-faced would be a no-no :D) As for what goes on it, well, much of anything beyond the ground goods and bread are probably beyond its humble origins.

The stance you take on the hamburger is one that I often take issue with because I think its a stance whose aim is to undermine creativity.

That said, there is obviously now a common usage of the word burger that refers to the style of sandwich that includes ground meat patty of some kind (not necessarily beef) with various toppings. There is even such thing as a "veggie burger," though I assume by "veggie patty" you meant those patties made out of grains and vegetables. I'm not so keen on them, but I have enjoyed ground beef analogues made from soy that were surprisingly "meaty." In other words, I've enjoyed what I would consider a "burger" despite it not containing any flesh from an animal. (That was back when I felt bad about eating animals. Now I'm back to my ignorant self and enjoying meat of all kinds.)

I mean, it'd be a different story if the food item was called a "groundbeefpattywich" or "ground beef patty sandwich." But they're not that, or even "beefwiches." They're "burgers," or "hamburgers"—not burgers made from ham, but Hamburg-derived.

Adding mustard, lettuce, or tomato doesn't invalidate the burger—as in, suddenly make it, instead, a "ground beef patty sandwich." I don't know where you get that from, especially since you seem okay with desecrating your otherwise perfectly decent sandwich with that foodlike product called, ironically, "American 'cheese'."

Seriously? When I read that, you lost all credibility in my eyes. Why wouldn't you use real cheese such as goat's cheese, or Emmental, or even a straight-ahead cheddar (if not a nice old cheddar)? You actually go out of your way to put a slice of something on your burger that cannot even legally be called cheese by its manufacturer?

Lindy, I am terribly disappointed in you. For shame.... :(

It's bad enough that you'd possibly choose ketchup over mustard (though I suppose you consider American mustard, that bright yellow shit, as the only thing out there).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

You poo-poo Lindy 's thoughts on a burger but you put down a standard burger (American cheese and yellow mustard) many people in America consider normal, Baraka_Guru?
    For shame, yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I feel no shame in criticizing the questionable tastes of mainstream American culture. This is the same culture that brought us reality television, Auto-Tuned pop music, and Dan Brown.

I mean, people should have some standards.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 2