1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What's your favorite burger?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Craven Morehead, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Dude, we can't all be Canadians.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

That's the problem with this world, my friend.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Now I want a burger.
    Damn you all.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

dammit girl, you speak my language! both for the guac and for the blue cheese combos. mmm mmmmm.

I've had a French-Tex burger before that featured guacamole and brie slices. That was at Flo's diner in Yorkville (toronto folks) And it was good.

I'ma gonna take a pic of my lunch right now.
    --- merged: Oct 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM ---
    Here's my lunch today: I went across the street to Harvey's (you know, Harvey's makes a hamburger, a beautiful thing!) which is my default chain burger joint. One cheeseburger to go with: everything except relish (mustard, ketchup - yes ketchup is essential, I even asked for extra - onions, shredded lettuce tomato, mesquite sauce, sliced dill pickles) $5.30 taxes in. You 'Nuckleheads should be familiar with the homestyle comfort of the wrapper:

[​IMG]
    --- merged: Oct 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM ---

Dunno what the deal is with all the aversion to ketchup. I'm a northerner and I understand that there are certain, immutable, laws around the use of ketchup - allusions to childhood notwithstanding. These are commonly accepted to be that ketchup only serves to enhance the enjoyment of burgers, 'dogs (but not sausages), scrambled or fried eggs (but not boiled, poached or salad) hashbrowns, corned beef hash, french fries (but not mashed or scalloped or baked potatoes). Or maybe conversely, applying ketchup to these foods is not to be considered childish or a faux pas, but a fair pairing, the absence of which would be noticeable.

What is childish is eating chicken fingers with ketchup. But that's because they are always on the children's menu at restaurants (but at McD's I do not like the nugget dipping sauces, so get a ketchup to use in that case. It's my inner child :) )

Or maybe I'm not a northerner eh? Like I'm from the south (of Canada). So you may be onto something there Freman ....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Cow, onions, cheese, and a fresh bakery bun.

A local butcher has very nice grass fed, single ground hamburger at a somewhat outrageous price. It's worth it. It has to be paired with a bakery bun. Why the hell would you toss expensive cow onto a crap bun? I'm flexible on cheese and the onions can be fresh or grilled.

Ketchup is for french fries and kids. (yes, I'm originally from Chicago)

6. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

There's that binary thinking again...

7. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Love american cheese and yellow mustard with a thick slice of sweet onion on a burger. Yum!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Canadian ground beef, crisp American bacon, Swiss cheese, tomato, relish, a small dab of mayo and guacamole, if we are being fancy. Edit: 'shrooms! Forgot the mushrooms--also fancy but delish.
    Don't need the top part of the bun--or any bun for that matter. Too much bread.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

One of the best burgers I've eaten had a slice of pineapple on it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. If I didn't know you were Canadian I would have said you were from California. That just screams CA. :p

• Like Like x 2
  11. Baraka_Guru

Coincidentally, my SO brought one home for me without even asking what I wanted. She just said she was going to bring something. (Though, admittedly, this particular burger did come up in conversation last weekend.)

It was this, if you're interested to know: The Hawaiian | South St Burger Co

12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I need to eat there.

13. Baraka_Guru

Yeah, you're probably right.
    Or you could go to Hero Certified Burgers, which is popping up everywhere now: Hero Certified Burgers - What is Hero Certified?

I can't believe I let you leave Canada without having an 8 oz. Hero Certified Burger... Sorry. My bad....

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  14. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yes, you're definitely bad :p

I've been thinking about going back to First Burger all week thanks to this thread. It'll probably have to wait until payday, though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I agree, more or less, that you can add anything, or maybe even a couple of things, and it's still a burger. It's when you add EVERYthing that you lose me. When the "add ons" act like a condiment, okay, but when they, several times over, exceed the volume or weight of the beef...

That's the mustard that you find on the table at most "burger joints." I'll take ketchup over that, except on hot dogs.

I absolutely LOVE almost any cheese. That love is probably what keeps me off of a fundamentalist "paleo" diet. And the USDA makes a distinct difference, even legally, between "American Cheese food" or "American Cheese Product" (think Velveeta, YUCK) and American Cheese, which is a cheese, a mild cheese that has excellent melting qualities.
    Emmenthaler, a strong, hard, wonderful cheese that doesn't melt well, belongs with ham, not hamburger.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baraka_Guru

It's all about balance, really.

You need more German influence over there.

How in hell would one make a proper swiss mushroom burger without Emmentaler/Emmental?

It melts well. Use more fire.

As my former cook boss used to scream at us during the crazy lunch rushes: "Sally the fuckin' thing!"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Protip for melting cheese:

Use shredded, not slices.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Or a cover with a little water thrown in to steam it...

19. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

About 90% of my burgers are done on the grill. But if you are doing it in a pan or on a griddle, that works too. You just want to make sure you don't flood you burger. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Toast your buns before melting the cheese on them.

• Like Like x 1