1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food What's your favorite burger?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Craven Morehead, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Don't you have a small griddle pan you can throw on the grill after you cook the burgers so you can melt your cheese without worrying about getting the cheese in the grill or under it?
    If you're using shredded like you say, I bet it takes a while to put the cheese on the burgers all the while making sure none falls off.

Hell, if you think about it, putting a dome over the burgers on the grill with sliced cheese would probably work even without the spritz of water.

3. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I sit corrected, I believe that I was thinking specifically of Gruyere, not Emmenthaler as hard to melt. Still, the Swiss cheeses don't melt like American, Monterrey jack, mozzarella, gouda, etc.
    I love a home made burger where I fry the cheese (shredded sharp cheddar) along with the burger, but I serve it on a plate, not a bun, so maybe that's not a burger.;) Swiss fries well also.

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I do have a pan I could throw it on, but it's really not that hard to put a handful of shredded cheese on the burger. Sure a few pieces may fall off, but I'd much rather have the advantage of cooking on the cast iron grates directly and lose a few crumbs of cheese than to have to preheat a pan just for cheese melting. Really, the loss is pretty minimal. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baraka_Guru

I find Gouda can be a bit harder than Emmental (though I have had harder varieties of the latter). At least the Gouda I get is normally hard. I tend not to bother using hard cheeses in this application. So Gruyère and Gouda I'd use elsewhere.

This is why I like soft cheeses like a spreadable goat's milk cheese. They're easy to apply, and you don't need to worry about melting.

As for Emmental, it's so delicious that I'll go out of my way to find one that isn't so hard.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  6. Lindy

Guilty pleasure: High fat, high carb, high sodium Emmenthaler with Triscuits...

7. Baraka_Guru

OMG, have you had those rosemary ones that are crazy salty?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lindy

Or brown rice triscuits? A great crunch. I think that they must do regional versions. I find some kinds of Triscuits in Nebraska that I never saw in Boston.

9. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

OMG, yes. I ate the whole box by myself. In one sitting. OMG.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

There's a chain in Israel called Burgers Bar. Crazy amazing burgers. All different kinds of options for toppings, sauces, etc. When I lived in J'lem that was my guilty pleasure. If I were in the neighborhood, I'd run in, get a lamb burger with grilled onions and sweet chili sauce. It was like grilled heaven. The double (beef) burger with the sweet pickles and house barbeque sauce was awesome, also. I still miss it. I sometimes get the fixings and make my own burgers in the same style, but it's never quite the same....

11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm baaaaack. And excited for delicious burgery goodness. uploadfromtaptalk1382229951133.jpg

12. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

salivating... Yesterday I had the equivalent of the Uncle Sam - at my sister's cafe (It's a place at a cross roads north east of the city - of Toronto - right on the path that all the city folk like to take to look at autumn leaves and go to farmers' markets). She piled on extra blue cheese and added sauteed mushrooms and heirloom tomatoes. MMMM.

Plus hand cut french fries served up with malt vinegar and - wait for it - mayonnaise!

PS - 18% gratuity??? wow.

13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

That's about normal for a large party. I tipped more than 20%. The service there is great.

14. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

must be the el cheapo Canuck in me (supported by German/Scottish heritage) that winces at an additional outlay of 18%.... the standard 15% here is bad enough. But on the bill of a burger meal, the hit isn't so bad - so I could take it ...

15. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I'd agree with snowy. When you see the "gratuity included" blurb it is usually for about 17-18%. I've seen it as high as 20%. Though it has been beaten to death in other threads as to whether it should be the case or not, anymore 20% is considered about normal for good service instead of the 15% of 20 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Frugal darling, frugal.
    Curious where your sister's place is as I travel that way a few times in the summer months (I'm German/Scot as well on my dad's side).

17. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

:)

Her place is in a hamlet called Burketon Station. She had bought the old general store and converted it to a cafe when she got laid off of GM about 5 years ago (yeah, General Motors moved a lot of their production down into the US - she was on the Silverado QA team) Used her severance to start the business.

Map: it's on Old Scugog Road, about 11 KM south of Port Perry.

https://plus.google.com/118374836790550590154/about?gl=ca&hl=en

• Like Like x 1
  18. My favorite hamburger is the one in front of me.
    I'm not picky about toppings or condiments either.
    Feel free to use your own artistic interpretation when feeding me.
    All others are like a Schrödinger's burger, suspended between a state of deliciousness and non-deliciousness
    even-more-deliciousness and unresolvable until eaten.

19. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Don't know if i qualify as a Northerner but ketchup has damn few uses beyond french fries and making meatloaf.
    --- merged: Oct 31, 2013 3:18 AM ---
    That sounds like a euphemism for something you don't want to talk about in front of your parents.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1