1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Whisk(e)y (especially bourbon) - yeah!!!!

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Craven Morehead, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You see, I love rum to begin with. This is the way to love it even more.

2. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

@Levite - you mentioned vodka. I don't know about it my self, as in the jury is still out. I find that unless I have a bottle of Belvedere or GG going, and enjoy the sensation of alcohol swiftly evaporating off my tongue, vodka is only good for playing a passive role in mixed drinks. Being a strong whisky drinker - I can't see the attraction with drinking vodka.

3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Yeah. The few times I've had vodka and at least somewhat enjoyed it, it's either been Belvedere, Chopin, a Finnish vodka called Moses (I kid you not), and a Polish vodka called Ultimat. You have to chill the fuck out of it, and even then.... It just doesn't do a lot for me. I like it better than Tequila or (God help me) gin, which I loathe. But that's not saying much.

If I'm going to drink something that's neither whisky or rum, my preference is that it be eau de vie, preferably one distilled from a fruit. I like very, very good apple, pear, or plum eau de vie-- the latter also sometimes being referred to as sliwowicz in Eastern Europe. But it has to be the highest quality. Bad fruit "brandies" are truly awful.

4. Baraka_Guru

It's my birthday this week, and I'll be damned if I won't have my friends over to play a pen-and-paper RPG whilst we sip on Manhattans made with Canadian Club Classic 12-year-old small-batch whisky.

Also, the last time we played, I discovered that I like Four Roses a bit too much.

• Like Like x 2
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Sounds awesome!

I want to spend my birthday in the woods enjoying my newfound freedom (counting down the days to July).

• Like Like x 1
  6. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I can't wait for next weekend.. @damnitall and @amonkie are coming to share some bourbon with me. :)

• Like Like x 4
  7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Jealous!

8. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Also, we will be playing giant Twister downtown with a bunch of strangers. It's going to be an awesome weekend and I can't wait!

9. snowy

Wore my Tilted Bourbon Crew shirt to the gym today. So comfy!

I haven't had any bourbon lately. :(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spuddeeez New Member

not sure you saw this article (came up on my FB feeds only today) .. (wont let me post links :-( ) it's on NPR.org Blog search: Bourbon Empire

• Like Like x 1
  11. Borla

• Like Like x 2
  12. Baraka_Guru

• Like Like x 1
  13. Borla

I occasionally have drank Crown Royal, but it has been a while.

Are there any specific ones in that article, or in general, that are distributed here and that you recommend?

14. Baraka_Guru

I can't say that I've had any of the whiskys suggested in the article. It looks like the writer is pointing to some exceptional stuff.

I mentioned Canadian Club Classic small-batch whisky in a post above. I'm not sure about its availability in your parts, but it would be one of those whiskys that may surprise you in terms of quality and value.

From what I've read, a lot of the Forty Creek stuff is good. I've also read that Canadian Mist is good. But it really depends on the characteristics you're after. I've had some Wiser's a long time ago, but I don't think it was any of the high-end stuff. Some of that is probably a good bet too.

The standard Canadian Club and Crown Royal stuff is normally a solid bet and probably more readily available. It may not wow you like some of their special reserves though. I suppose the same would be the case with Forty Creek and Wiser's. Like the article suggests, you need to go out of your way to find the more decent Canadian stuff south of the border.

EDIT: Heh. I just stumbled across this one too: Canadian Whisky: The Comeback Story | Mark Bylok

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

Canadian Mist and I are BFFs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Borla

My local liquor store girlfriend (my wife calls her that :p ) tracked me down a single bottle of Pappy's 10yr Old Van Winkle Bourbon. :cool: Over the years the higher end Pappy's has gotten harder and harder to find. I still have ONE bottle of 23yr that is unopened. I'm trying to figure out the proper special occasion to crack it open. This bottle of 10yr OVW may prolong that a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

That's still a score in my book!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Drinking that with me would be quite the occasion.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Borla

Being with you probably would require me to drink.

• Like Like x 2
  20. RIGHT! Let's do this!

• Like Like x 1