1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Who collects Vinyls out there?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Speed_Gibson, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I was just pondering my Vinyl collection and thought this subject would make an excellent thread. I know there are people here who appreciate the cover art, that delightful sound of the background crackle, and just the feeling of holding that record in your hands when you place it on the turntable.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I have nearly 400 albums. the issue now is my turntable is broken. i acquired them from relatives that passed away and some from yard sales.

3. God of Thunder

God of Thunder New Member

It's not so much that I "collect" them, it's more like I never go rid of the ones that I bought while growing up.

I went trough a phase a number of years ago where I added to my collection via the local used book,/record store.

I do have 90% of KISS' catalog on vinyl, so I got that going for me.

4. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I've got a few for myself, but its mostly more recent music and bands I'd be hard pressed to miss if they came to town.... although I've always wanted to make it a more permanent hobby.

5. Speed_Gibson

Finally jumping back in here. My own "collection" is mainly from my parent's piles of records which include groups like the Blackwood Brothers, hymns, marching music, etc., and what I have found at second hand stores for the most part.
    I have ordered a few from Ebay - the last one was the album "Error in the System" by Peter Schilling for the original release of "Major Tom (Coming Home)" after not finding it on iTunes to my satisfaction.
    My collection is small at just several hundred (I think, not sure at this point), but has some nice variety.
    I just play them once typically while they are being transferred to the digital format (FLAC or Wavpack Hybrid is the final audio codec I use after breaking up the the initial WAV files into tracks with tags, etc). This also makes it much easier to borrow a record from someone and return it quickly while keeping the songs/content on my server.

6. ralphie250

anyone know where i can get a good quality turntable?
    --- merged: Aug 8, 2011 5:54 PM ---
    anyone know where i can get a good quality turntable?

7. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i've got a shitload of 33s myself up in the barn, along with a turntable...

we might dig them out and take them to florida someday...

8. They are in storage though. I need to get them the next time I'm in Ohio.

I also have my Mamaw's album. Yes, she had an album. She and her sisters were in an a capella group singing at local churches. They were really good. I've been meaning to convert them the music to MP3s, but don't have the equipment.

9. ralphie250

some of that type of music was the best.

10. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Same here. I have an extensive collection and bought a component sound system when CD players came out, so it still came with the turntable. It never got put away, so the vinyl is still in regular rotation ( haha rotation... ) The kids love it and use the albums to impress their friends. Lately I''ve recorded my fav discs onto my computer and converted them to mp3 to make it easier to port around. There is something to be said about listening to an album side though, while holding the cover, trying to glean important meaning from the cover art, or just read along with the lyrics. Just doesn't happen with cafeteria style of of music selection these days on iTunes.

These guys sell turn tables, and may even deliver:

http://baybloorradio.com/

11. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

i still find some sticks and seeds whenever i open up moody blues' 'threshold of a dream' album...

• Like Like x 1
  12. ralphie250

ha ha ha thats good. :)

13. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Yeah. totally transports me back to my Beatles white album with the burn marks on the inside.

14. Speed_Gibson

Has anybody else here ever bought a vinyl just for one song on it? Those typically cost me a $1 or less at second hand stores.

15. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

My vinyl collection takes up 12' of shelf space. While I still have a turntable, I haven't used it in years. I do like the cover art and ,yes, there is probably a misdemeanor contained between the covers.

The primary use for my vinyl collection these days is to remind myself what to buy on Amazon.

16. This thread made me want to find the boxes of hundreds of albums I have in the basement.

This post cinched it. :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

I had over 2000 pieces of vinyl back in the day. I was a digger. I would find these old vinyl shops and come out covered in cobwebs and dust because I was hunting for that one piece of treasure that hadn't seen daylight in years. I sold all my vinyl and technic 1200s and mixer and everything a year or so ago because I just didn't use them anymore. Still love vinyl more than the rest though.

18. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

I do both new and old. I've been slowly building up my collection here and there. I'm actually kinda lucky in that there are two vinyl stores nearby so it's fairly easy to pop over and pick up something new. Someday I'll get around to posting my whole list, but the latest purchase was G'n'R's Appetite for Destruction.

19. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

There's nothing like it. I've been building on a small collection of punk, grindcore, powerviolence and death metal albums ever since high school. Mostly small bands no one's ever heard of but there's some pretty cool colored vinyl and limited editions in there. Usually numbered in the hundreds, really unique stuff. Anyone else collect cassettes? I started collecting those at garage and chillwave shows a few summers ago. Pretentious lo-fi nonsense aside the cassettes do sound better.

20. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I have several boxes of records in my attic, but no way to listen to them. I'd like to get them out of storage and organized someday, but that is going to be quite a feat.

A guy I used to work for had half of his garage turned into shelving for his record collection. He probably had about 5,000 records. I loved having access to his collection. It allowed me to introduce his kids to all kinds of music, including some of the records I grew up with.