1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Who Do You Follow on Google+?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by snowy, Aug 30, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Now that a bit of the hullabaloo surrounding Google+ has subsided, and people have fallen back into their usual posting habits (or else they're on vacation, I'm unsure), I am looking for additional people to follow.

I have the usual suspects--the most recommended people, etc. What I'm looking for are the gems that you've found.

I have one to share for foodies on Google+--Lee Allison. You can read more about Lee in this article, which is how I found out about him:

Lee does a great job of posting recipes every day according to a theme, and I really like that. I've subscribed to a few more "foodie" people and I'll see how they compare to Lee.

Who have you found?

2. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Wouldnt know. I tried to sign up for it and got an automated message saying they had plenty of users already and didnt need anymore, thanks, bye... (or words to that effect)

I use Yahoo anyway, that'll teach them.

3. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

Would you like an invite?

I follow Markus "Notch" Persson, and some local comic artists Jeff Ellis and Kevin Forbes. I mainly use it to share stuff with my fiancé's family since they are more tech savvy than mine. I'd be interested in some foodie types, so send them my way if you find any more :)

4. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

It'll be great to see where this thread goes considering I'm still wondering what exactly I'm doing on Google+ anyway. I'm following plenty of you, photographers, visual artists, some writers and a few art critics and it's still much neglected like my Tumblr.

5. Strange Famous

Look, this is what it says:

Google+ is in limited Field Trial
    At the moment, we're testing with a small number of people, but it won't be long before the Google+ project is ready for everyone. Leave us your email address and we'll make sure that you're the first to know when we're ready to invite more people.
    _
    They might as well put up a link to "No Vaseline" by Ice Cube and just write "HERE'S WHAT WE THINK ABOUT YOU" in big letters on the front screen.
    Funny way to go about taking on Facebook.

6. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I'm still waiting for my 'invite' from Google+ too.

7. Strange Famous

I dont know how they get away with that level of contempt for their potential "customers"

Imagine if Tesco hung a sign outside saying "we have enough shoppers right now, come back later and we'll think about whether we want to let you in again"

8. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Actually that very thing does happen. It's called limited sales to preferred customers or soft openings. It happens to stores, restaurants, web sites, just about any business that is trying to make sure they fine tune their experience before opening to a wider audience. In the software world it's called beta testing.

You don't get them because they don't offer them to you since they don't think you're the type of person who would be so inclined to want to assist them with helping them shape their sales offerings or staff training.

I get offered them from time to time not because I can actually purchase their goods (I usually don't) but I give constructive feedback how they can improved the customer experience without being an asshole about it during the experience and also during the recital of the experience in written from. Being objective has it's advantages.

Already based on your postings about G+ you've determined a particular vibe and can't seem to understand the company's position for a limited field trial.

Many of us have invitations to hand out one just has to ask for them.

9. Strange Famous

Beyond any personal offence I took at the last line of their message "we'll let you know..." on principle I dont like exclusive things.

As you suggest, thats a part of my personality.

It would strike most people as ridiculous and childish, but every year my company has a managers only christmas meal, which I refuse to attend because I dont want to go to something that the people that work with me in my dept cant attend. When suppliers send me Christmas gifts I always give them to other guys/girls on the desk. Every year I get offered football tickets by a couple of suppliers, and I always refuse.

I understand that a lot of people like the idea of being part of something "by invitation", I understand that my aversion to it is not normal or really justified, but its just how I feel.

10. wolf Evil Grin

I was accepted to Google + when it first started. Most of my friends ended up going back to Facebook because they didn't want to update two sites. I like the ability to post certain things to some people (circles) rather than everyone getting everything.

11. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

I wish more people were on Google+, it's lonely there. I still do Google+ and Facebook, but it would be nice someday if enough people migrated that I could switch over completely, like what happened with MySpace.

To respond to the topic, the only person I follow who isn't an acquaintance of mine is Felicia Day. She actually posts quite a bit.

As far as people who want invites, Google+ currently says I have 150 invites remaining, and if I'm doing it right, you can have one of my invites with this link.
    https://plus.google.com/i/cTlAmu4cpA0:9cJZwWcPYeU

12. Strange Famous

Thats pretty hard since they apparently only let "cool" people join!

13. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

I never really saw it as a "cool people" thing, I saw it as a beta test, like cynthetiq said. I suppose it helps that I'm a gamer, and I'm used to the concept of beta testing. When it came out, I put my name on a list to be notified when I could join, and eventually got an invite (I don't remember if it was from the site or a friend.) http://www.qwiki.com/ had a similar opening that I had to sign up and get on a list for when it started.

14. cynthetiq

so are you trying to be obstinate on purpose? People have offered you access and you're showing your ass to them? Or you just having a toss or fun or a laugh ha ha ha. or something like that you brits might say?

Seriously.... dude, why be a dick about it? Do you have to drop trou and take a shit in the threads you don't care about? Why not just press the back button?

15. Strange Famous

Google insulted me first. If they dont want people to be negative about them maybe they shouldnt write "we'll make sure that you're the first to know when we're ready to invite more people" when a man tries to joint their site.

They could let people register and send the passwords later if they want a soft launch, or they could make it invite only and close the application portal. Instead they have up this contemptuous "come back later and maybe we'll think about letting you in if we're in the mood" type message.

Plus nobody has sent me an invite to it, just made statement that they could do so if I asked. I dont even know what Google+ is (since, as I might have mentioned, the site wouldnt let me join it) but I suppose it does grate me to see people going on about how great somthing I cant use is, thats a natural human response.

I thought on this site you wanted people to talk about things?

To say "why post unless you have something positive to say about Google" is a funny attitude to me. I wish that they would bring Lycos back anyway.

16. cynthetiq

Really. You can use it, there's a link that you could click and use someone else's invite, you're being obstinate for the sake of it. People have offered you an invitation. There's one just sitting up there you could click on, and still you press on about how they've directly slighted you. Yep, all the billions of google dollars are being funneled to affront you. :rolleyes:

actually it isn't about posting something positive, it's about following the discussion of the OP. You've tried directly to derail threads before, no different that the god damned fucking Planet of the Apes thread, and here you are walking into here and taking a shit on this thread too.

Next time it's not going to be a nice discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LoganSnake

LoganSnake Vertical

So lemmie get this straight. You're upset that Google+'s trial group got filled up and you couldn't get it? Then, when somebody gives you a link to get in, you refuse because you have a grudge against Google for not letting you in when you wanted?

Holy shit.

------------------------------------

I'm in G+, but I don't follow anyone but some of the people that I know. Even then, I don't really visit that site much.

18. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Just a reminder that people have to be actively participating in the derailment of a thread for that thread to actually get derailed.

• Like Like x 2