1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Who has the oldest still-active TFP account?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by robot_parade, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Why stir up the pot, Aqua? New year, new start and all that.

2. That's why they invented pots, isn't it?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shagg

Shagg Vertical

I'm going to say at least since 99 for me. Mainly as a lurker.

4. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

To hold the accumulation of ingredients that comes together to make good food.
    But if you over-stir certain recipes it all goes gummy and becomes a lumpy mess.

Damn, I'm hungry now...

5. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I went back to the old board and looked it up. You joined 4/19/03.

I like to think that we're a lot more thick-skinned now and a lot less stupid. We're still stupid, only less so. We know enough to step back from the keyboard now and come back when tempers have calmed. Here at 5.0, it takes quite a bit to get shown the door. And that's by design.

As far as the past, who cares? There were some real shitheads that were mods back in the day - and if he sees it, I'm specifically thinking about that douchebag Analog - and I've got stories that have made me wonder how this place survived as long as it did. Not that I'm not a shithead, but at least I'm self-aware enough to avoid the usual shithead mistakes.
    --- merged: Jan 5, 2012 1:53 PM ---
    4/19/03, which was the crash date.

6. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

I think I joined summer of 2001. I was on one of those college painting crews and a guy told me about the boobies.

7. Fly

Fly music is the answer

I remember that.......how you so eloquently put it.........douchebag......

:D

8. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

Yes. There have been some real losers on the mod squad, and some would probably count me in that lot, which I would understand, but nobody comes close to being as big a douche as Analog. Some of the things he did were just downright despicable. Most know that there is no love lost between Hal(x) and me and while he may have started this place, he lost sight of the true vision long, long ago. bermuDa showed up right before I left 4.0 and he was one of the good ones. I've seen mods and members come and go (myself included) and the list of members that would be fun to bring back is long but there are some people whom I hope never grace me with their presence on here or IRL ever again.

• Like Like x 3
  9. the_jazz

Yep. 99% of the non-spammer members (and at 4.0, spammers were a statistically significant number of members, believe it or not) I'd love to have come back, if for just a post or two. The 1% I can live without, including some of the mod squad. But certainly not all of them.

I keep hoping Spectre will show up sometime, but I'm probably going to continue to be disappointed. He's the guy that taught me more about being a mod and admin than anyone else except cynthetiq.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Random McRandom

Spec is a busy man, and he was treated like dirt by the former king of kings and lord of lords (just like shesus, jj, me, you, rb, mm etc etc etc) behind the curtain so I highly doubt he'll be back. The only one that could bring him (and others) back is probably monkie. She's still in contact with SiNi as well and she is one I'd like to see back as well. She was fun and feisty. Hell, the only reason I came back is because you told me Drew finally took a hint and gave up control.

• Like Like x 2
  11. If we're only going to count back to April '03, then we have a 1,000 way tie for the oldest account.

• Like Like x 1
  12. the_jazz

True. But it's the only metric we've got. Everything else is gone.

13. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

Yeah I was here for the server crash, so that dates back prior than my join date in 2003.

14. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I looked at archive.org and I must be remembering wrong (I posted that when I was a little bit drunk and doing math badly.) They have a snapshot from Nov. 2001 back when it was the tba-ownz.org domain. I joined shortly after that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

I don't know that we've ever specifically had a thread like this one before, but it's always interesting to me when threads talk about the "history" of the site how shallow the graves of a lot of the old drama are. You ust have to barely brush against the paint and all this crap comes out. It's fascinating to me how people remember all that jazz.

16. Random McRandom

We keep leaving jazz behind.. he just keeps finding his way back.

Yes I know what you mean, and other than analog and my beef with drew, the rest of it is under the bridge. The only reason analog's business isn't is because it was so over the line of douchebaggery that it appalled even the likes of me and jazz. That's saying something.

the jadz et al situation was a bit crazy but I wasn't really established here when it went down so I don't sweat it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. the_jazz

I know where a lot of bodies are buried - not all, but a lot. I've seen a lot of stuff go down, and I've spent the time to figure out what I missed. Knowing that kind of thing helps to defuse problems down the road - if you know there's a potential bomb, you can try to steer around it.

There were a metric fuckton of mistakes made at 4.0. I'd like to think that those were less in the latter stages, but I'm a delusional asshole. That said, I don't think that we had a single mass unvoluntary exit in my time on staff - we had a couple of folks that left as groups, but none that were shown the door.

And almost all of them - and probably even Analog - would be welcome back here, so long as they follow the rules. One of the reasons we have such a big staff is so that we can feel confident that we're enforcing the rules in the least arbitrary manner possible.

Eddie, on the other hand.... well, I wish he'd get the hint.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

Has he continued to make new accounts even after he was "politely asked to leave"?

19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Mmm...

TFP
    It's just a forum.

/Manic