1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Who will Guard Me?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Drider_it, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Drider_it

Drider_it New Member

I wrote this the last night a saw my Uncle Jerry alive. I was furious in that he was being taken from us. I directed that anger into a short story. Not many people have seen it. I just now let a few read it. Thought I would finally post it. Yeah I'm not a professional writer. And it was all done in a moment of conviction. I left it as is, to show the emotions I was having at the time. Hope if you read it you enjoy it.

Who Will Guard Me?

The knight stood in the Cathedral. Falling to his knees, he looked over the vacant and disuse ahead of him. His armor rent, his shield broken as it fell to the floor. His hilt of his sword laying at his knees the blade shattered in the battle to get to the House of the Lord.

All around him he saw the fallen. None could stand to fight the being before him. There at the alter lay the last warrior to defend the church. The warrior, his last beats of his heart counted the seconds before he died.

A movement in the rafters drew the knight’s attention. The shadows moved, there death hovered greedy and waiting. As the warrior’s heart beat its last, death swooped down to claim the last soul. Death looked to the helpless knight, laughing as he reached into the chest of the warrior, eager to devour this last worthy soul.

The knight uttered a prayer as a tear fell. Time stopped the tear slowed and froze in midair.

“Lord God, I pray you strengthen me in this, my hour of need.” The knight spoke is a reverent whisper as he bowed his head in prayer.

I glorious glow burst into the darken cathedral. Bathing the knight is its warmth. The power of God filled the knight. His head snapped up, his eyes locked on the enemy.

The knight began to speak as he rose.

“The Lord is my shepherd,
    I shall not want;
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
    He leads me beside still waters;
    He restores my soul.
    He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for His name's sake.”

His armor fused and mended itself around him. Shining once more, as if new off the forge, it glowed.

“Even though I walk through the valley
    of the shadow of death,
    I fear no evil;
    for You are with me;
    Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.”

The knight picked up his shield. The slashes, nicks, and dents reformed. A glowing lion’s head of the Morning Star formed on the front. A roar sounded into the aether.

“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life;
    and I shall dwell in the house of the
    Lord forever.”

Grasping the hilt of the sword, the knight leveled it towards death. The blade blazed into life whole again. The whole armor of God renewed to the knight, his faith restored once more.

Time began to move again. The Knight screamed a war cry and rushed death. Seeing the knight, death brought his scythe to bare.

“The wages of sin is death.”

Death brought its scythe down towards the knight’s helm.

“Believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

The knight brought his shield up to meet the scythe, turning the blow away.

For sin is the sting that results in death”

Death reversed its scythe and spun, level with the knights chest.

“I say to you this day you shall be with me in PARADISE.”

Blocking the scythe, sparks flew as the knight twisted his hilt, forcing the scythe out of deaths hands.

The knight leveled the sword at the now defeated death.

“You are defeated, yield.”

Time began to move once more. The tear fell to the floor and exploded in hundreds of thousands of motes of light. The warrior’s soul became brand new. The warrior looked at death then to the knight that was bent in prayer.

Death hissed at the warrior. “Know this, no one escapes me. Even he will feel my sting.” Death said, pointing at the knight.

The warrior smiled as he looked upon the knight once more then back at death. The power of God banished death to the darkest of its domain.

“And on that day,” the warrior whispered as he began to rise to heaven. “Know another will stand in his place, by his side. To defeat you, and usher him to our Father.