1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Who's Gonna Win?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by issmmm, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

If things are splintered thus, how do you explain the straw polls? I admit not really knowing much about these polls and how they operate and what impact they have. But how is someone like Romney such a sure thing when the polls suggest otherwise?

2. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

The big question is if Romney gets the nomination, will the Tea Party run their own candidate?

3. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

This is the exact point where you go off track. In your world view - some have legitimate concerns and others do not.

Anecdotal story to follow, read at your own risk.

When I was a child, I had a friend in my neighborhood who had an a$$ for a father. He was the type who would tell his son things like:

You are a punk if you show fear/emotion.
    You are a punk if you don't do this or can't do that.
    Etc.

Then he would tell his son things like fear is just in your mind, don't come into the house until you have done... or if you express fear or emotion I will beat the living crap out of you.

Basically telling his son that his fears/concerns/emotions were not "legitimate". Even as a child I knew intuitively this was wrong. But my friend stopped showing his true emotions - the father thought his job was done. It was not. As time went by my friend stopped being my friend and basically begame a menace.

So, you can continue with your attitude of - the concerns/emotions/fears of others are not legitimate, just understand that it is not helpful. The best response is to have open and honest dialogs.
    --- merged: Oct 13, 2011 6:04 PM ---
    The straw polls support what I describe. Paul does well when his faction dominates the voting. Cain does well when his faction dominates, etc. Romney's support is a constant, right around 25% - I expect with his money, organization, and endorsements - his numbers will rise over time and be high enough for the nomination.
    --- merged: Oct 13, 2011 6:10 PM ---
    I am not going to vote for Romney. I already know I will vote Libertarian, unless there is a more compelling third party candidate. Heck, I would even vote for Clinton before voting for Romney or Obama.

Romney did exactly what pseudo-intelectuals do when Cain asked him about the transparency/clarity/etc of his economic plan in the debate Tuesday. Kinda like - well it has to be overly complex, and you just don't understand...type BS. Fairness is not complicated. Romney's plan is an exercise in putting empty words in print. I want more.

4. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Someone has to explain to me why Cain isn't the new Alan Keyes. If Cain does indeed get the nomination (a remote possibility), then the comparison with Obama/Keys in 2004 will be scary indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aceventura

Cain is an accomplished man. Look at his bio. Nothing more need be said.

6. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

so are thousands of others. what makes Cain a viable presidential candidate, minus the ZERO political experience, that is.

I mean, the Republicans are going to demonize him for his inexperience just like they did Obama, right?

7. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Perhaps, rather than referring to your fears/concerns/emotions as illegitimate we can say they are unreasonable. Oh wait, I think I've already referred to them as being unreasonable.

Do you, Ace, have anything to support your fear of US Muslims as being a reasonable fear? To keep suggesting that they are a constant, dangerous and formidable threat without even expressing why you believe it to be so, is neither open nor honest.

8. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

in all honesty the 'experience' issue for any candidate should be a non issue. we've had plenty of politicians with tons of experience who were terrible presidents and others with little experience who became great.

9. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

I'm just looking for consistency in criticism

10. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

He's no more or less accomplished than Keyes. Which means that you missed my point, Ace.

11. ring

ring

Sorry, folks, to drag this back a bit to Ace's ....'concerns.'
    but I really need to ask Ace, what his above statement implies.
    To me it sounds like he is imagining:
    "Hordes of muslim vigilantes, nostrils flaring, swooping across the plains dealing out sharia-law justice,"

all 'western action flick' like.

Q. Who's going to win?
    A. A corporate owned politician.

12. Alistair Eurotrash

It was kind of OT, I think, and referred back to this:

And ..

13. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

In that first straw poll where Cain won, all the Republican candidates were invited..........
    Cain showed up, Bachmann sent a video or Skyped or something.
    he came in first she came in second
    --- merged: Oct 14, 2011 5:08 AM ---
    Politics is my baseball, but I am open to being wrong
    In this case very wrong
    Did you just equate long standing factions of the Republican Party with a four year old movement?
    Better, did you just move those factions under the umbrella of the Tea Party?

I thought that Libertarian want just to be left the hell alone. You can pick up the trash, but soon after that lemme work it out myself.
    I thought that the religious Right were the core of the GOP
    Isn't everyone anti politician when they run?

I thought I saw the begining of the shine comming off the Tea Party in that whoever panders to them is doing so in a pandering way

14. Aceventura

Political experience (I take it to mean a person held elected offices in the past) has no importance to me. In fact people who come on the national stage with experiences outside of politics, the legal profession, academia, and non-profit entities, immediately go to the top of my list for consideration. I, among millions of others, am tired of the same b.s. from political empty suits.

I have never seen the speed in the escalation in the level of attack Cain has been getting in the past two days. He went from basically being ignored to now being attacked by liberal media, conservative media, black leaders, other Republicans, Unions, retiree groups, economist, virtually anyone with a microphone or public voice. It is amazing. I don't totally buy into the 999 plan, but at least he has a plan worthy of discussion.
    --- merged: Oct 14, 2011 6:33 PM ---
    You can say what you want - that is not the point. My point is related to helping people overcome fears/concerns/emotional issues.

Also, I find the implication in what is being written that I am the only one writing here who has fears/concerns/emotional issues kinda weird. I actually want to discuss my fears/concern/emotional issues, I find it helpful.

Yes. On the most broad level when Muslim leaders from various places in the world say things like they want me dead.

I have been posting on TFP for a few years now - there is a history of interactions that may not be known to everyone. If you have questions anything I have posted lately, I am more than happy to answer them.
    --- merged: Oct 14, 2011 6:38 PM ---
    Everyone places different values on things. Keys is an academic, an activist, made a career of running for political office. All of this is nothingness to me regarding a person earning my respect and trust. If you value these things, I stand corrected and I should have specifically stated that "from my point of view..."
    --- merged: Oct 14, 2011 6:44 PM ---
    I thought it was a clear statement. Some people in this country in various areas at various times, did not live under our formal judicial system but lived under informal systems of justice enforced outside of federal/state/local laws. Often these conditions existed while authorities ignored it!

My father lived under Jim Crow in the south. Is history so easily forgotten???? There are hundreds if not thousands of other well documented situations like this.

If something is not clear why not ask for clarification rather than the reflex of trying to belittle a post?
    --- merged: Oct 14, 2011 6:51 PM ---
    No.

I thought I added a qualifier - "for lack of a better way to describe" or something like that.

Some in the Republican party have libertarian leanings on social issues but are strongly fiscally conservative. Some are not.

Define "core". I would estimate they make up, using a broad estimate, about 1/3.

Not to me. For example: Washington, Grant, Eisenhower - I would consider them as military men - not politicians. I certainly see how this can be confusing, if you have a more accurate way of communicating the difference I am open.

15. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

I don't think political experience is necessary either, but whenever someone uses the "run the government like a business" line, red flags start flying everywhere

16. Aceventura

When I hear that phrase I think - how can we operate more efficiently - how can we do more for less - how can we best serve our customer? When you hear that phrase what do you hear or think?

17. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

That phrase is a loaded phrase. It's one thing to want efficient and effective government (many do); it's another thing to compare running government to running an entity whose primary function is to earn a profit.

It isn't particularly helpful to suggest outright that we need to run government like a business, because it should be run like a government—albiet an efficient and effective one.

There is nothing wrong with borrowing from the business community in terms of methods, systems, or best practices, but government shouldn't be "run like a business."

18. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

I think "business doesn't have a Congress that's elected by the general populace. The president isn't a CEO, who can make unilateral decisions."

19. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

like the clown we've got for governor here in florida...

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

Nonsense. This is a stretch even for you, ace.

The Jim Crow laws in the South were state and local laws, hardly an informal system of justice. Some were unconstitutional (not enforced until the JFK administration) and others were not.

Ace, a little more related history for you. After the DoJ civil rights enforcement efforts in the 60s, members of Congress from the South led by Strom Thurmond adopted the "Southern Manifesto" that opposed racial integration.

The Manifesto accused the Supreme Court of abuse of judicial power, with arguments like the Constitution does not specifically mention education and the Tenth Amendment should limit the reach of the Court.

Sound familiar? Like Ron Paul - the Constitution does not mention.....

Or the far right and their waiving the flag of the Tenth Amendment at every turn to vilify those they describe as liberal judicial activists.

Perhaps we should fear Paul and the Tenthers!

Return now to regular programming...or perhaps deprogramming your irrational fears of the threat of Sharia law in the US.