1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Who's Gonna Win?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by issmmm, Sep 25, 2011.

1. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

with the huge backlash against obama care by the republicans, it's crazy to see romney as the front runner as he had his own obama care. the republican party is in a sad state. the exact same thing is going to happen as 4 years ago. the right wing pundits, mainly talk radio, aren't going to support a candidate so the weak minded right will end up nominating another unelectable big government neo-con.

the funny thing is that obama has been such a disaster that any not-obama candidate could possibly win.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Obama's approval rating is similar to G. W. Bush's at reelection time. All Democrats needs to do is chant, "Stay the course!" and "Four more years!" Amirite?

3. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

A lot of us see Bush II as the disaster and Obama as being particularly ineffective at cleaning up the mess.

When the primary circus is over, this becomes a two person race. All of the candidates carry a lot of baggage. Moderate voters are going to be holding their noses as they vote for the least offensive candidate. I'm not seeing any of the Republican candidates beating Obama one on one.

4. Baraka_Guru

I'm just hoping that a lesson is being learned: that Reagan was wrong on a lot of things.

Call me an optimist. The average memory span of the average American is approximately one to four years, give or take.

5. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

I agree that "get out the vote" and a "ground game" has a big impact on results. This is where money can make a difference - but still most important is having the structure with motivated people on staff.

6. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I may be too late to the "run the government like a business" part of the discussion. However, how would one expect a business to run if it could print its own money? Anyone who wants the government to run like a business either doesn't understand business, doesn't understand government or is a politician who thinks they can get more votes by appealing to people who don't understand business or government.

I don't want the government to run like a business. I want it to run like the people in charge care about the well being of their citizens moreso than the well being of their biggest contributors.

7. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

In my experience there are degrees of separation between Democrats. Am I to understand that you would agree with that but that you do not see any as "hard left".

There is a difference between campaign money and lobbying influence. Lobbying influence has an impact. If the argument is that campaign donations can buy access, then you may be on to something. But, wise corporate interests buy access to both parties. I also agree that politicians who are on the fence on certain issues can be influenced by lobbying. All this feeds into my dislike of those who lack conviction.

Political advertising gets almost no interest from me, if I am atypical then your position may be correct. Again, in my experience I am not atypical, I acknowledge that your experience may be different - and like I said I would love to see data supporting one position or the other. On the surface one could simply argue why do they do it, if it has no impact - this could be compelling but for an understanding of human behavior. If a person has $1 billion dollars to spend, they will spend it. And they will spend it in ways including simply to feed the ego.

I have read much of what you have shared. When I don't read it, I let you know - and I always give a reason.
    --- merged: Oct 19, 2011 8:57 PM ---
    A wise business person with a business where they can "print their own money" would do it in a manner to protect the long-term interest of the printing press. So you have a business like Microsoft who manages cash flow with strategic product releases. It is the foolish who would handle the printing press to solely serve short-term interests.

As a business person I care about the well being of my clients, employees, my community, my country, the planet and my family. All are needed. the perception that by definition a "business" doesn't care is inaccurate. Sure not all "business" is the same in this context, but business' in it for the long-term serve many interests and they have to serve them well or they will fail.

8. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Right, so you don't know how businesses are run. You care about people and think long term.

9. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

There are plenty of "hard left" voters, but almost no "hard left" politicians

10. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

No, most important is a well-informed electorate. The one thing we are sorely lacking. For one, too many allow themselves to be influenced by negative media ads paid for with private campaign donations.

11. Baraka_Guru

The hard left are those troublemakers in the universities and Zuccotti Park. Voters without candidates are like children without toys: left to their own devices, sooner or later they're going to act up.

12. issmmm

issmmm Getting Tilted

Europe cna lose it's books, they have made a deal for Greece. they've even set up a a fund to at least spoften Italy's potenial fall.

The Street reacted well.

could be good for Obama

13. MJ Foghat

MJ Foghat New Member

My hope for election day: Barack Obama, Herman Cain and Ralph Nader on the ballot.

Have the EMS on alert, because a lot of old, white, republicans will have a heart attack reaching for the lever.

14. Baraka_Guru

Rachel Maddow makes the case: the only plausible explanation for Herman Cain is that he's a performance artist....

• Like Like x 1
  15. redux

redux Very Tilted

Not to project to next year or a harbinger of things to come, but yesterday was not a good day for far right policies.

Ohio voters defeated the Governor's anti-collective bargaining bill.

Mississippi voters rejected the radical "personhood" amendment that defined a fertilized egg as a person, which effectively would have banned all abortions and even made some forms of birth control illegal.

Maine voters restored same day voter registration for elections, repealing a recently enacted Republican law.

The Republican architect of the sweeping immigration bill in Arizona was ousted in a recall election.

16. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

I'd go with Obama at this point. The republicans have too many horses in the race and with all the jockeying they are going to run themselves into the ground. They are already getting nasty in the primaries, and you can be sure every thing they dig up will be used against them by democrats as well. Chasing the tea party vote is going to drive a lot of moderates to the other side as well. I think as long as the democratic base shows up to vote its not even a contest.

17. Joniemack

It would appear that Cain is collapsing under the weight of his own bullshit. One going down.

18. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

There were some strange results last night as well though. You had a lot of conservatives that were pro-union voting is the only way I can see it, because they voted 60-some percent to 30-some percent to prevent employers from having to buy health insurance (or that you had to buy it yourself). I know that not all Democrats agree with it either, but still, it wasn't even close. I don't get the people here sometimes that don't vote in their own best interest.

The wording on all of the 3 issues in Ohio was really bad as well.

19. Joniemack

And this poll was taken before the vote to repeal Senate bill 5

New poll: Obama takes lead over GOP field in Ohio

The State Column | Staff | Wednesday, November 09, 2011

President Barack Obama leads all GOP presidential candidates in Ohio, according to a new poll that was taken just before Tuesday’s pro-union vote to repeal Senate Bill 5, which was signed into law by Republican Gov. John Kasich and placed limits on collective bargaining rights.

The new Public Policy Polling (PPP) survey shows Obama leading former Mass Gov. Mitt Romney 50 – 41, outside of the margin of the error. Obama also leads businessman Herman Cain 51 – 39 and Texas Gov. Rick Perry 53 – 36.

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/new-poll-obama-takes-lead-over-gop-field-in-ohio/#ixzz1dGqNJYQP

20. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Totally agree. The Health Care Issue was really convoluted and confusing, while Issue 2 had a 6 or 7 word description.