1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Why attack Sikhs?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Aug 5, 2012.

1. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I'm with redux - it seems like there were some tattoos and suspicision that the gunman belonged to a fringe group (too early to say "hate group" but anyone outside of the Republicans, Democrats and the Welcome Wagon can be branded a "fringe group" as a convenience). So where Aurora pretty quickly obviously became viewed as the work of a deranged madman who acted alone but told people beforehand that it was a good idea, Milwaukee seems to be the work of a deranged madman who acted alone who told people beforehand that it was a good idea and got some agreement.

At this point, I'm comfortable with the "domestic terrorism" label provided by the folks who have more facts than the rest of us. A week from now, I won't. The authorities are being very stingy with information at the moment, almost like they're worried that there are other bad guys out there getting ready to do the same thing.

/guy related to people who confuse Muslims and Sikhs because they "both wear turbans".

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

This is what I wanted to come back here to say, re: the tattoos. It was some white guy with tattoos that lead the FBI to call it domestic terrorism.

However, it's not "textbook" to the FBI unless it's more than an individual motivation: "the unlawful use of force or violence, committed by a group(s) of two or more individuals, against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."

I suppose more details would help before we make any conclusions.

3. the_jazz

4. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

BBC News - Wisconsin Sikh temple gunman named as Wade Michael Page

5. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

As I've often said, things like this are NOT hate crimes. They are simply mass murders by a socio-path (if one can say this was simply anything). The hate crime is promoting the hatred of any identifiable group, and should be punished harshly. But these murders should receive no greater punishment than the shooting of a convenience store clerk in a botched robbery. Otherwise, you end up devaluing the clerk's life because the robber didn't "hate" him. The purpose of the justice system is to judge the action, not the intent.

6. Baraka_Guru

So why attack Sikhs?

Ignorant racism.

Disgusting.

If this isn't a hate crime, then it's a pretty interesting set of coincidences.

I dunno. Maybe he lived in the subdivision behind the temple and it was walking distance, perhaps the closest place with a crowd.

It could have been a movie theatre, right?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  7. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

In my mind, simple one that it is, hating Sikhs/Jews/Blacks/Women/Handicapped/Name-Your-Group is stupid. Hating a Sikh/Jew/Black/Woman/Handicapped/Name-Your-Individual may be justified. Where it becomes a CRIME is promoting both the hatred of an identifiable group and the taking of illegal actions against them, for example murdering them. THAT is a hate crime. The actual murder is a murder, and no more a hate crime than if an ex-spouse hates and kills his/her former partner.

8. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Well, apparently he was in this band, End Apathy. Which looks enough like innocent fun if maybe a little douchebag-y until you notice that there are Nazi flags hanging in the background of several of the photos.

I don't think it's much of a stretch to at least suspect a hate crime.
    And there is a difference, in my opinion.

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

The designation of domestic terrorism or even hate crime changes the nature of the crime from a state crime to a federal crime. It impacts the investigatory capabilities, prosecution, sentencing, etc.

It was probably what prompted the initial police response as a possible domestic terrorist incident. That allowed the FBI to immediately take the lead on the investigation, which given the facts we know seems appropriate since the target was a religious temple and not a more random public location.

10. the_jazz

Yet the Knoxville, TN police didn't make the same designation when their local crazy guy shot up a Unitarian church because "that's where all the liberals are". By all recent accouts, Page acted alone. Charges seem very remote at this point.

11. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

Took a quick look at the link to End Apathy. It certainly seems that they are a hate group, and are committing hate crimes with the promotion of violence against of specific groups. This sort of thing needs to be outlawed. Freedom of assembly and freedom of belief need to be protected, but there must be limits. Believe what you want, but don't spread your hatred to others, and don't send them to commit crimes in the name of your stupidity. That's where the hate crime ends. In my opinion, the rest is just an atrocity committed in the name of a misguided ideal, and no worse than killing someone in any other premeditated murder.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baraka_Guru

So if he purposely targeted the temple because he knew people of a certain culture with certain beliefs would be there, you'd call it a hate crime and not just murder? (I'm not clear on your position.)

If he went out of his way to target Sikhs, I can't see how it is not a hate crime.

I think the distinction is important because, as has been pointed out here, it makes the crime more serious. It's not simply premeditated murder; it's premeditated murder against a specific group.

Why is it more serious? Ask a Sikh how they're feeling about this right now. Ask any one of them.

greywolf I'm not aiming this all at you. I'm just thinking about this as I go.

13. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

a neo-nazi asshole with a gun.

it's nice that we have all the massacres to pay for so the gun-fetishists are not unduly inconvenienced in their procurement of a fucking weapon.

14. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I'm pretty inconvenienced here in NYC.

15. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i'm pleased that you are inconvenienced. the idea that you should not be when purchasing a gun seems to me lunacy. of course, it's a lunacy with a source:

John Nichols: The Weakening of Gun Laws | The Nation

maybe it's also time for something to be done about the ultra-right/neo-fascist militia set.
    o wait---they're mainstream now, aren't they?

16. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Yeah, I really wish these confused slack jaws with demented warrior-for-the-cause fantasies would just stick with popping pipe stubs and homemade truck kablooeys that can destroy an entire office building instead of these pathetic sub-dozen body counts with pea shooters. These assholes are making it exceedingly more difficult for me to enjoy my sport shooting hobby... buying scary-looking rifles and pistols and tens of thousands of rounds of ammo. I'd rather to have to BGC-'n-wait to buy fertilizer or rent a truck... I've got qualifiers to prepare for and that's serious business, folks.

It's like golf but with less cursing.

roachboy,

Didn't you say something about burning down the establishment or something recently?

Careful with those words, man... white guy + beard + angry politics = domestic terrorist.

17. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

besides, what's another massacre? people die all the time, right? massacres just push things along. what really matters is the gun hobbyist. because that's the legitimate center of this sort of debate, isn't it?

18. redux

redux Very Tilted

I recall a 2009 DHS report on the growing threat of right wing extremist groups, particularly white supremacist groups, (as a result of 9/11, a black president, recession/unemployment...) and the backlash from Republicans in Congress and the FOX/Limbaugh crowd.

A similar report on left wing extremist groups (eco-terrorists, etc) drew no such condemnation.

19. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Really? because when I just want to go to a range and shoot. rent a weapon and target practice.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1