1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you think it’s so hard for people to say they’re sorry?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by cynthetiq, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Eddie Getting Tilted

Oh, I would never apologize unless I did something that my own conscience had told me was wrong. I don't let culture dictate my moral code.

2. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

apologies are always necessary when you mess up, but i run into a problem with the phrase "i'm sorry." I grew up learning that "i'm sorry" was a shorter version of saying "i'm a sorry human being who regrets what they've done." I still believe that apologies are very necessary, but that particular phrase has been removed from my pocket-sized lexicon. "My bad" or "That was my fault" have been equally useful substitutes and they get the message across while not crossing any boundaries that i've lived with forever.

• Like Like x 1
  3. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Really? So when you step on someone's foot because you didn't see them, no apology is necessary? When you made an ass of yourself because you didn't understand someone was serious or in pain, no apology is necessary?

If that's your take on life, Eddie, never have kids. They'll turn out to be gigantic assholes.
    --- merged: Oct 29, 2011 5:46 PM ---
    And here's the flip side - strength has absolutely nothing to do with most situations. Apologies are generally necessary to acknowledge a mistake. You've stated that mistakes only happen because of lack of strength.

Honestly, this explains a lot about you, Eddie. And why you're most likely not going to be a long-term member of TFP unless you're willing to be more gracious in admitting your mistakes and those of others.

4. Eddie Getting Tilted

Uh, no. You step on someone's foot you say "excuse me." "You made an ass of yourself?" You're going to have be more specific with that one. What exactly did the person do to "make an ass of themselves?"

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

No wonder you can't seem to admit certain historical facts exist.

You don't let it dictate your moral code? How do you think your conscience formed your moral code? It didn't just appear.

6. Eddie Getting Tilted

I apologize when I determine that I've done something wrong according to my moral code. That's it.

7. cynthetiq

Excuse me? that's the answer for stepping on someone's foot? Even 3 year olds know to apologize and say, "Sorry I stepped on your foot when they see their friend crying."

8. Eddie Getting Tilted

I believe God gives every human being a conscience.
    --- merged: Oct 29, 2011 5:53 PM ---
    If you stepped on someone's foot because you were being careless and disrespectful to those around you, then yes, apologize. But if you're foot stepping was the result of some outside force then no, no apology is necessary, imo.

9. the_jazz

Two separate situations, Eddie. One is obvious - when you step on someone's foot. Even if you're shoved into them, you still say "sorry". If your mother didn't teach you better manners than that, you're going to have a hard life. It's a universal in Western Culture.

When you make an ass of yourself by inadvertently injuring feelings, you apologize. Again, that's a universal. Back in the day, it was the sort of thing that led to duels. Now we've learned to graciously apologize and accept the apology.

Your moral code is irrelevant for anything other than your own behavior. It's when you're interacting with others that law, religion and manners (in that order) dictate the necessity for apologies. If your moral code doesn't allow for the imposition of all three upon it, it's fundamentally flawed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cynthetiq

Like I said, even a 3 year old knows that.

11. Eddie Getting Tilted

I disagree. An "excuse me" is more appropriate.

Inadvertently? No apology necessary, imo. "Excuse me" preferably in the offended's native tongue is more appropriate.

My moral code, derived from my conscience, is how I determine whether or not I've done something wrong. So no, not irrelevant.

12. the_jazz

Uh, Eddie.... "excuse me" is an apology. It's short for "please excuse my behavior that impacted you negatively." It is simply another form of "I'm sorry." I'd dock you one of your idiotic "points" now, or take one for myself, but I'm polite enough not to do so (although clearly not polite enough to point it out).

Which implies that you're unconcerned about other people's moral codes. Which was my point all along. When one moral code collides with another, it's best for both individuals to apologize and move on.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Eddie Getting Tilted

No. Saying "Excuse me" is not an admission that a mistake was made or something wrong was done...that would be an apology. Can I have my point back now, please? ;)

There is only one God, therefore only one moral code.

14. the_jazz

No, because you're still wrong. "Excuse me" is synominous with "I'm sorry." The former is as much an apology as the latter, as is the lesser used "I beg your pardon"/"Pardon me." Is English your first language? If it is, not only did your mother apparently make serious mistakes raising you, but your educational background seems to be lacking as well. This is 8th Grade English stuff.
    [/quote]

I'm a disinterested agnostic - I don't care if there's a God(s) or not. Therefore I have a different moral code than you. One that allows me to punch you in the nose if you step on my foot and don't apologize. Except that the law dictates that I can't, so I don't.

15. Eddie Getting Tilted

An apology should come from a place of remorse, not a place of obligation. So your judgement of right and wrong is irrelevant to whether or not I feel an apology is warranted.

Would an "excuse me" be acceptable to you?

16. cynthetiq

[​IMG]

an amazing example right in the thread!!!!

I realize now that the ability to apologize to someone that felt wronged builds character AND deepens relationships. Otherwise, I'd still be single and have no friends.

17. Eddie Getting Tilted

Nice bait. But this ain't my first rodeo. ;)

18. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

Excuse me, but what has Eddie done or said elsewhere than in this thread to earn a lesson in apologizing?

19. cynthetiq

I find it very incredible you exemplify why it is hard for people to apologize. You see it as weakness, that by itself is telling about you and how the community both here and IRL should interact with you and you interact with it. I know it's not your first rodeo, your first post was exclaiming how you are here because you were banned from your favorite forum.

As you can see from my OP I stated that it builds character. I had neglected to see that it deepens relationships because while some of my adversaries here have been at odds with me on politics and discussions, we've become more friendly in our understanding and dealings with each other. Some of us have a better relationship because of it because they aren't just keeping score and being obstinate for the sake of being obstinate.

My relationship with my wife of almost 10 years is testament to the give and take wherein apologies happen not because of weakness but because I hurt someone else's feelings regardless of my own moral code and conscience. I could easily just be a dick about it and go about my business but that doesn't make my relationship with my wife better, only ostracizes her and widens the difference.

Sad you can't see that.
    --- merged: Oct 29, 2011 7:19 PM ---
    politics threads where facts run counter to his belief, and he can't admit his "facts" were wrong.

I'm not trying to give him any lesson, just trying to understand how someone has no compassion for another individual's feelings that he may have inadvertently wronged like stepped on their foot or slighted them by statement.
    --- merged: Oct 29, 2011 7:24 PM ---
    I get the opportunity to ask someone directly why they find it hard to say they are sorry, direct from the horse's mouth so to speak.

20. the_jazz

But if I'm the wronged party and feel an apology is in order, what then? Social mores dictate that you, as the offender, should apologize.

By your editing of my comments, I see you conceed that I'm right about the etymology of "excuse me" and "I'm sorry".