1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Why does my stomach blow up whenever I eat something?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by chelle, Aug 26, 2011.

1. chelle

chelle Vertical

I'm 5'3, 117 LBS, 34B-27-37. I work out 3 times a week for an hour and half each. I try to eat right...here's an example:
    Breakfast
    cereal with low fat milk
    whole grain toast
    fruit

Lunch
    Peanut butter sandwich
    yogurt with granola

Dinner
    Chicken breast
    half cup rice
    mixed veggies

I'll snack in between on apples, whole grain cracker, celery with peanut butter, or whatever. I drink water and avoid pop.

My stomach is nice and flat in the morning but whenever I eat ANYTHING my stomach blows up! It looks like I'm 4 months pregnant :confused:

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Could it be more your perception than it really doing so?

And if your workouts are vigorous, you might actually need to be eating a fair amount more than that.

3. wolf Evil Grin

Looks like a lot of fiber:

Cereal, toast, fruit, granola, rice, apple, whole grain cracker.... that could cause bloating.

4. Yeah, change your diet for a week. See if that helps.

5. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Don't sweat it.
    Your weight probably varies by a few pounds each day depending on intake of fluids and particularly salt.
    And all that fiber makes some gas (hey, it's cool don't sweat it) which will make your tummy look bigger.

6. Change your dairy to goat or lactose free - see if that helps - certainly cant hurt.

7. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

yeah, you may be sensitive to slight changes after eating because your tummy is so flat. But if it is diet related, I would look at the wheat that you are eating. My wife has developed a similar problem. After some research and doing some self diagnosis, she felt that she was growing more intolerant to wheat or gluten in food. As well, she may have a slight lactose intolerance. Apparently both of these cause bloating and stomach pains to a degree.

She did find that switching out her wheat/gluten and lactose consumption helped a lot. But at a price - rice or soy milk tastes thin and has a weird aftertaste, gluten free products are 2 to 3 times the cost and harder to find. Rice bread is horrible to eat unless it's toasted first: untoasted it is identical to eating a loofa.

It was too hard to maintain, so she now lives with the bloating.

8. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

What everyone just stated and maybe you have a peanut allergy? I would get a food allergy test to see if you are allergic to dairy and other food items. Then you will definitely know if you have a allergy to what you have been consuming.

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Take some Maalox? No, seriously--track how much fiber you're consuming. While fiber is a very good thing to eat, it will cause bloating.

And Jove, a peanut allergy typically presents as anaphylaxis, not bloating.

I don't mean to sound preachy, but a lot of people confuse food allergies with food intolerances, and honestly, those people are doing a disservice to people with true food allergies when they do so.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-allergy/AN01109

10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

As has been mentioned above, I'd rule out lactose intolerance.

I'm not sure you're eating all that much fibre.

11. Remy

Remy Vertical

You might want to see your doc or a gastro, there could be a blockage to the intestinal area/kink in the hose kinda thing. Which would be a serious issue if left alone too long.

Gall bladder and appendix ok?