1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Why don't the Tea Partiers get arrested?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

On this point, I simply say we should listen to the people being impacted - small and medium size business owners/potential entrepreneurs/people seeking capital to hire people/etc. The message is being communicated, but those in power are not listening.

2. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

http://www.vanityfair.com/society/features/2011/05/top-one-percent-201105

this is a short little article from vanity fair that talks about the grotesque distribution of wealth that's been triggered almost entirely by conservative economic policy since the reagan period. it talks about some of the effects of that distribution of wealth. it talks briefly--because that's all that is required---about what a joke "trickle-down" is and has been. strangely, many of the points in this piece sound like the points that ace wants to make in his special imaginary alternate world into the responsibility of whatever he takes "government" to mean--so far, in all the bouts of ace shooting bursts of the same circular, data-free non-arguments, all i've learned is that in ace's special place, government mostly means "bad. i don't like it."-

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

We've brought this up more than once. Banks that aren't lending to small businesses aren't lending to them because of the inherent risk in the fallout of 2008. While they may be overly cautious right now, they're being cautious for a reason: they don't want to implode like some of their competitors did.

It's my understanding that banking regulations didn't change fundamentally in a way that would influence their small-business lending.

It's my understanding that they are more than willing now to lend to larger businesses such as medium to large businesses. However, many of the larger businesses are more likely to go to bonds to raise capital because of their current cash flows.

It's my understanding that the stock markets are volatile still, which makes primary markets even more risky than what is normal.

It's my understanding that small businesses are often new ventures and ventures run by entities with little or no collateral (especially with what has happened to many mortgages).

I understand that there are small businesses out there who can't get credit. But considering the above, it should be of no surprise. There isn't anything government is doing to actively derail anything. The economy is the problem, not government policy.

You mentioned somewhere a while back that a problem is with the administration suing banks for what happened in 2008. Well, the banks being sued aren't likely the banks who are going to be most willing to lend to small business to begin with. The banks most willing to do that are probably going to be smaller, independent banks that don't have such strict lending criteria.

If the credit freeze is indeed preventing small business from lending—if there really is such demand for small business loans—what should government be doing? Because I can't think of much that they should stop doing that would directly influence credit availability to small business.

4. Aceventura

Your article referenced the Robber Baron era of the early 19th Century - wealth inequality is not a new concept either in the US since the Reagan era, a new concept in the context of human history before the US, or even in the context of any one particular economic or political system.

In addition we have seen a chart that showed an increasing disparity trend in the US starting in the 60's - a trend I correlate to the war on poverty. The rich have always been generally motivated to generate more wealth - what I think happened is that on the bottom end some people have lost the motivation or incentive to generate wealth, I attribute it to the "nanny state".

5. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

of course you do, ace. reality be damned. actual material history be damned. if you at least had an attractive fantasy world, maybe this would be interesting. but it's just an orthodox version of exactly what's failed over the past 30 years repeated over and over in the form of tautologies and stupid counterfactuals, digressions and threadjacks. that it's worthless as an analysis of the world beyond your immediate experience (because you believe) is given. that it's boring is inexcusable.

6. Aceventura

When you write the above is when I get lost in your argument. I think the government has an impact on the economy - in particular on marginal economic activity. The normal business cycle includes recessions - government policy can make them worse and lengthen them or in the short-term make them better and minimize them. Your statement suggests you disagree.

7. Baraka_Guru

You mention the "nanny state" but fail to address how it has been in place for the benefit of the corporate class since at least the 19th century and remains in place today.

But which aspects of the "nanny state" you are referring to, I can only speculate. I'm assuming you are actually referring to the welfare state. The problem with that? The welfare state reduces poverty rates, which is its goal.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what you are referring to when you suggest the "nanny state" is the problem with wealth disparity, because it is such an umbrella term that influences virtually every American citizen and business entity. Would you care to elaborate?

The government didn't single-handedly cause the sub-prime mortgage crisis. It also isn't single-handedly responsible for the economy. America is a mixed-economy. There are a lot of factors, the government being just one of many.

You continue to overemphasize the role and impact of government. At least that's what it seems like to me. Obama doesn't have a magic wand, in case you didn't notice. Neither did George W. Bush.

Whatever happened to that American ideal of personal responsibility? I think maybe Corporate America has grown too comfortable with the "nanny state" and economics have changed profoundly in the 21st century.

8. Aceventura

I gave a very specif response to a point you made that I think is incorrect. How am I damning reality?

Are you suggesting the Robber Barron period did not happen?
    Are you suggesting wealth disparity is unique to the post Reagan era?
    Are you suggesting wealth disparity is unique to the US version of capitalism?

What? What?? are you saying. Be specific.
    --- merged: Oct 6, 2011 9:07 PM ---
    I detest corporate welfare. Government should not support some businesses at the expense of others or consumers.

I have no problem with government seeking to help poor or disadvantaged people. I think the current way of doing it is all wrong and presents too many disincentives for people to do better on their own.

I don't support renters subsidizing home owner interest tax deductions.
    I don't support the government giving some people grants to go to school at the expense of others.
    I don't support cigarette taxes paying for child health care - make it a general tax and cover every child.
    I don't support tax credits for people buying electric cars.
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Basically stuff were the government is trying to encourage behavior where they think it is best for the individual. Tax policy should reflect the actual cost to provide government services, not for social engineering or picking winners at the expense of others for whatever the reason.

One big one I need to add is minimum wage legislation - it has devastated entry in the work force for unskilled inner-city youth.

9. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

If social responsibility is strictly a private morality matter, how do you square that with your opinion that the government should provide assistance to the elderly, children and the "truly" disabled?

What law are you talking about?

And who is talking about living under anyone's definition of social responsibility? I was referring to the lack of social conscience shown by those for profit institutions who have taken up the mantle to provide need based, social services. Institutions which have kept the profit element their sole focus. No one forced it on them, in fact, they seemed more than willing to take it on.

The fact that they've failed to adequately provide for the needs they were entrusted with is not the fault of those forced to deal with their failures, much as the Tea Party believes it to be so.

Seems you're twisting in the wind on quite a few fronts here. :)

10. Baraka_Guru

I seem to recall morality being a basis for law. Otherwise, why are there laws at all?

Do you detest tariffs, quotas, patents, and safety regulations on imported goods? How do you think the U.S. would fare without these things when other nations keep them maintained?

I fail to see how any of this interferes with people's ability to accumulate wealth.

Surely a minimum wage isn't all bad. Surely the problems with inner-city youth isn't all tied to minimum wage legislation.

11. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Ace, maybe you can help me out here.

I've been looking for a list of policies, originating from the Obama administration, which can shed some light on why small business is so pissed off at him. I'm not having much luck and feel sure you probably have one. Would be kind enough to share it with me?

12. Aceventura

You folks should marvel at my incredible insight, an insight from simply talking to people and observation. Early in October I shared something from a real conversation pasted with some other interactions with Tea Party people (post 17 on 10/4):

Now we hear that Ben and Jerry's is supporting the Occupy Wall Street protests:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/08/ben-jerrys-occupy-wall-street_n_1001469.html

This is why you won't see Ben and Jerry's being served at a Tea Party event!

But I suspect even liberals should find some things odd about this.

*we are talking about a company that is part of a bigger global conglmorate that is worth pretty near $100 billion dollars.
    *we are talking about a company that has a primary target customer that has to be in the 6 figure income range. My wife and I went to a Ben and Jerry's once, looked at the menu and saw that it would cost us about $12 for a couple of cones - we promptly walked out and went to a local place that had soft-serve cones for $1 each - imagine a family of 4, spending what some may spend on a weeks worth of food - for ice-cream cones!
    *we are talking about a company with a parent company that has operating profit margins of about 15%.
    *Oh, do we know anything about Ben and Jerry's wages and benefit packages - I bet we never asked, have we!

I guess image is everything, as long as people don't ask questions.

Power to the people.

13. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

actually, ace, i've met ben several times. i know quite a lot about the political viewpoint he and other business people who work with him support. i know what their policy about executive compensation was before and after the unilever buyout. i don't see what your point could possibly be, unless it's some nitwit attempt to cast ben & jerry's as somehow...i don't even know. your post is so incoherent that i can't figure out what you're getting at.

14. Aceventura

The company was sold for $326 million to one of the largest corporate consumer products conglomerate in the world. On the surface we have the old Ben and Jerry's image and it is just that an image. Dig a bit deeper, all you have is a big Wall St. firm with big profit margins set up to serve rich consumers with a product of little value to the human race on this planet. I argue that Wal-Mart does more good for more people - in particular low income consumers. Ben and Jerry's is a for profit business, has always been a for profit business and has simply nurtured a niche to justify extremely high prices and profit margins for their product.

15. Baraka_Guru

Let them eat ice cream.

Ace, Occupy Wall Street isn't a protest against profits.

16. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

ace, that's ridiculous. the unilever sale was and is a matter of public record. it caused ben to leave the company because unilever didn't want to adhere to the narrow gap between employee and ceo salaries that ben & jerry's was built around as a business model. but even so, both ben and the company have been quite active supporters of progressive political causes and sustainable agricultural practices both nationally and internationally.

as for the pricing at the retail end--i can't imagine that a markety market guy such as yourself could object to anything, as your abject relation to market ideology forces you to accept anything and everything from the captains of industry.

so why this sudden inconsistency...o wait, i know: this is yet another rehearsal of cheap conservative talking points.

17. Aceventura

Those unemployed folks protesting Wall St. can not afford Ben and Jerry's ice cream - I bet it is being served in some of those high-rise corporate buildings serving those greedy fat-cats. I just find it oh, so, duplicitous that it has me laughing. But I realize few, if any here, share my sense of humor.:)
    --- merged: Oct 11, 2011 7:41 PM ---
    So now you defend corporate greed! Tell me about the conspiracy that forced them to become a Wall St. firm and then to sell out - fully knowing what would happen. I bet the check was cashed.
    --- merged: Oct 11, 2011 7:43 PM ---
    Different people protest for different reasons, some expressed and some implied - and if the core is not about excessive profits it is not about anything.

18. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

ace, if you want to know how the buyout happened, look it up. there's a lot of information available about it. i can't imagine the world you live in where what you're saying amounts to a point of any interest.

19. Aceventura

When I was talking to a Tea Party person and he was going on about how Ben and Jerry's was too liberal and that he would not buy their product but was going to get some Breyers, I simply thought to myself that it was odd and that he most likely did not know they both shared the same parent company. It made me smile, but i did not make an issue of it. I saw the Ben and Jerry's news release about the Wall St. protests and I simply thought to myself that it was odd and that most of the people who see the release most likely do not know that Ben and Jerry's is a "Wall St." firm. It made me smile. Then I thought of you and i thought, I bet I can make Roach go ballistic....the rest speaks for itself...go have some Ice cream...tell us what brand you choose...ever think that ice cream would have political implications:p

20. Baraka_Guru

Your sense of humour in this case is an exercise in being presumptuous. You're assuming that since the unemployed can't afford premium ice cream, they don't like it and have never had it. You're assuming it's only for fat cats, who go down to the fat cat lobbies of gleaming fat cat corporate towers on their break from earning their fat cat salaries to partake in a $5 ice cream cone, while the other 99% are stuck with their $1 cones. You must also assume that these same fat cats go home to their full-size stainless-steel Sub Zeros and have their serving men serve them B&J's from the carton.

It's funny...I guess, but is what you're saying today just a joke?

I've had premium ice cream before, and I'm not rich. When I have ice cream, it's a treat. I rarely have it—these days, I don't at all, having become vegan. When I want ice cream, I want quality ice cream. If I were to spend $1 on a cone, it would likely be soft-serve dessert, say, at McDonald's. It's not the same.

I'm sure many among the 99% have enjoyed B&J's.

You know what else the unemployed can't afford? A new car. Should they protest against profitable car makers too?

You know what though? The unemployed can afford places like McDonald's way easier. But even they are seeing strong profit growth in a down economy! Should they be protested too?

This thing is rife with comic potential. Do you have any more punchlines?

It's not a protest against profits any more than the Tea Party movement is a protest against the Constitution.

But you slipped in the word excessive. The implications of that are enormous, but it's a loaded word. Regardless—with that word, you are probably on the right track.