1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Why don't the Tea Partiers get arrested?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by ASU2003, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Corporate backing? For protesters speaking out against corporate abuses and promoting the repeal of their tax cuts? I don't see the logic behind that assertion.

The inane justification behind the act of stockpiling guns and bringing them to public places. I'm sure they actually think that.

2. Eddie Getting Tilted

Stockpiling guns? I have over 20 guns. Is there something wrong with that? I like guns. I like shooting them, I like hunting with them, I like teaching people how to use them, I like learning about the engineering behind them, I like knowing I can protect myself and my family if I have to. And your tone makes it sound like owning several guns is a bad thing.

3. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

note the point at which reading comprehension broke down---at "and bringing them to public places" which refers to an argument you actually floated, eddie, that would have us believe that a bunch of strapped reactionaries is preferred by police departments to, say, unarmed peaceful protestors from of more advanced political persuasions. a classic instance of conservative shuck and jive.

4. Eddie Getting Tilted

Why don't you let joniemack respond for herself? She knows what she meant. And her tone about "stockpiling guns" was quite clear. She obviously frowns upon people who stockpile guns. I'd like to know why?

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

"Inane justification" and "bringing them to public places" becomes "frowns upon people who stockpile guns"? You're moving away from relevancy here, Eddie. Please don't derail from what she wrote.

6. Joniemack

I can see four reasons for citizens amassing guns and weapons:

1) Antique or novelty guns intended only for collection purposes
    2) As you described, for purposes of hunting, target shooting, education (?) and interest in gun design
    3) Protection in the event of a criminal home invasion (I'd have to question if, in the event of this rare occurrence, 20 guns would be required but, ok)
    4) Stockpiling guns and weapons as a defense against foreign occupiers, Muslim terrorists, or the US government itself.

As the likelihood of #4 ever occurring is slim to none, I can't consider it a legitimate reason. The fear and suspicion lurking behind it is wildly unreasonable. Those who stockpile guns for this reason are left waiting, year after frustrating year, for a reason to use them. And it's not as if the stockpiling behavior is effective in diminishing any of the fear and suspicion. In fact, it seems to feed it. Blowing the heads off a few commies is likely the only thing which might significantly release some of the fear and rage bottled up inside them.

We do see it leaking though, every time they get an opportunity to brandish a few of their big scary weapons in public. Better than nothing for them, I suppose.

Yes, it's inane behavior and inane justification. Your justification was inane as well, Eddie, and a flimsy smoke screen attempting to hide the real reasons behind the behavior.

I've decided not to address other relevant issues regarding this subject. This is not the thread for discussing this topic.

7. Eddie Getting Tilted

You really think that? With the 2nd amendment under constant attack from the left, I could very realistically see the day when the government knocks on my door to confiscate my guns. There are already several states where the 2nd amendment has been completely trampled upon. What's to stop that from happening nationwide? In fact, I and most tea partiers see the government as the #1 threat to our freedom and our Constitutional rights. I think if I ever have to take up arms to protect my family and my rights, it'll be against the government of the united states. I think you'll find that most tea partiers agree with me on that.

8. Joniemack

You've made my point beautifully, Eddie.

Thank you. :D

9. Eddie Getting Tilted

Whatever your point was.:rolleyes:

10. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Eddie vs. US Army.

Care to place your bets?

11. Eddie Getting Tilted

If the government tries to confiscate America's guns, it won't be me vs. the government, it'll be about 50 million already very pissed off Americans against whatever pinko loving army troops are left on the government's side.

12. Alistair Eurotrash

This is all hypothetical. However, a question for you, Eddie - does the Tea Party believe in democracy?

13. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

I think most gun owners are cowards, so no, 50 million citizens won't be willing to take on US tanks and Spec Ops

14. Joniemack

Is the US Army a "pinko" organization now? When did that happen? Or are you assuming that the Army will only send out the homosexual soldiers that don't have to hide their sexual preference anymore?

Get real, Eddie. Your army of overweight po-dunk beer guzzling hee-hawing couch potatoes are no match for them.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

So, how are those Y2K supplies holding up? Still got that 100,000 rounds of "Obama's gonna take my guns away" ammo? You do realize that the only piece of gun legislation that Obama has signed was a law allowing the possession of guns in National Parks?

Sorry that us liberals keep reminding you that the second amendment has two clauses.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Eddie Getting Tilted

We believe in the democratic Republic of the United States. We believe in the Constitution.
    --- merged: Nov 10, 2011 11:13 PM ---
    Not as long as they remember that the US military is in place to protect the Constitutional freedoms of the Republic and its people from those that attack it.

17. Alistair Eurotrash

Fair enough. I'll take that as a "no". I was just interested. The USA, technically, isn't a democracy anyway. I also know that some people view democracy as "tyranny by a majority". Democracies are imperfect. However, if the majority in the USA wanted to introduce something the Tea Party didn't like, I'm taking from this that you believe that the Tea Party would use force to have things their way.

If I have that wrong, I'm sure you'll let me know.

18. Joniemack

Would a corporatist attack on our economy count as an attack?

19. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Hahahaha, love that comment!

20. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

well, here's the thing as i understand it---my antipathy to everything the tea party stands for notwithstanding---most of the basement arsenal type discourse is defensive. there's an imaginary scenario---you know, turner diaries shit---that has some amalgamation of Evil Others descending on them to confiscate their sacred guns. so long as they remain locked into that mode, they talk a militant line, and may even train to prepare for their imagined war. the problem could come if they get manipulated into acting in an offensive mode. this possibility is what makes them not unlike any number of previous fascist movements---dangerous in principle, particularly during times of crisis/paralysis of conventional politics. like we're locked into now. but i havent seen any indications of that shift. maybe its out there, but i haven't seen it. so they stay in their basements, waiting for helter skelter. it's an old story particular to the american ultra-right. in this respect, the tea party is only an occasion, one that let them crawl out from under the rock they had been hiding out under for a time. but the tea party served other functions---it was an astroturf movement triggered to generate an illusion of renewal on the right as a way to distance it from the catastrophe of the bush administration. so a cynical attempt at self-preservation from the right---one which, when some of them got into power, proceeded to fuck up both their own movement and the right more generally. so they're in the toilet at this point, even if there are people with arsenals in their basement who still appeal to the name tea party to legitimate themselves and their views.