1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't you use Linux?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by ASU2003, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Two words: Inertia and Propoganda. There are people who buy into microsoft/apple's koolaid so much they think that linux, or free software in general, can't possibly be right or legal let alone of good quality. The other major reason is the same behind everything else... it's Different.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

Good post and good point. I think Linux is more than fine for most people's personal computing needs.
    Why the average person isn't using Linux is a kind of multiple "Catch 22" scenarios. The average person will probable not have heard of Linux or other alternates to Windows and Mac. Also a HUGE factor is that most people buy a computer with a pre-installed operating system and newer do any major changes during it's lifespan. That market is governed by Microsoft and Apple with Google attempting to get into that. Adding peripherals when using Linux can also be more complex as the number of hardware manufacturers that support Linux is still relatively low and driver install often require more user knowledge and/or interaction compared with Windows and Mac. I can't remember seeing a device that came with install instructions for Linux that were beyond pointing the user to a website.
    Then human nature is also a player here. We seldom settle for the base versions, we always want something more or better even if there is no real gain in the end. The computer industry has more examples than you can shake a stick at, just to name few, RAM size, cpu clock speed, cpu's number of cores and OS bit size (8 -16-32-64).
    So the simple answer is : "Marketing and money".

PS: The weekend's task is to install Mint and see if it doesn't solve certain issue

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  3. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

I suggested buying a used laptop for my MiL and installing Ubuntu on it cause her needs are so basic. At least I would be able to help her with it. But I was overruled by my SiL, who bought her a brand-new Win8 laptop, which I don't use and don't have any intention of ever using, installing or learning. So God help her if she needs help!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I just helped add some games like solitaire, etc. to a friend's new win 8 system at his request. An OEM installation does not include the old staples like solitaire and all of those anymore. Here was the "good" part - you have to add them as apps after logging into Microsoft's Xbox games store thing. I had to create a login just to install free apps. If MS is trying to push me even further into Linux where I get a smooth pleasant user experience with a slick efficient UI that never pushes Bing, xbox or anything redmond in my face, powerful CLI, and easy updates then they have succeeded completely.

5. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

There was a bit of a learning curve when I went from Mac OS X to Windows 7. I ended up having to do quite a bit of work reading forums and articles, asking questions of patient people, and making mistakes. A lot of acclimating has been googling confusing things as I've gone along. While I'm reasonably comfortable on Windows 7 now, I cannot imagine there being a reason to invest a similar amount of time to switch to another operating system, especially one that isn't quite as complete as Mac OS or Windows. If it offered something I lacked, something I need, I would consider it, but doing all of that work to understand a new operating system for novelty's sake just doesn't appeal to me.

This is not a judgment of Linux or of Linux users, of course. I certainly love the idea of an open and free operating system, a 'wikiOS' as it were. I hope it continues to grow and develop. I know that some companies are switching over to Linux because it's free and open, which I might consider doing if I'm ever in a management position at a bigger company and am in a position to make such a call. Certainly Windows and Mac OS have their drawbacks, including price and being relatively closed (and Windows 8 seems even more closed).

6. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

I love linux... but... Installing windows and stuff onto windows is easy. Drivers exist in windows format. Machines are built for it. It always works. Macs work too. Everytime i do anything other than check my email in linux, a new project emerges and consumes a week.

7. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Linux is just too much hassle to deal with on a regular basis. It's frequently incompatible with the software I'm required to use for my research, and the freeware equivalents to those programs are clunky and frustrating to use. I just don't want to bother. I suppose I could call myself lazy in this regard, but honestly having everything I need on-hand and easily functional makes me more productive with the time that I have.

My husband has a dual-boot system for his desktop. We occasionally use the Linux system. It is better for some things occasionally... but it's more of a hobby to try and make it as functional as a windows system.

8. Speed_Gibson

I find installing software easier in Ubuntu usually. But some of the options in Windows do works better for me. A prime example: many moons ago I was using a pirated copy of the then almost current Soundforge 5.0. It was experiencing some problems due to the pirate thing and I looked at options as in Audacity and Soundforge 6.0; I chose to spend a substantial amount of money on the Sonic Foundry (now a Sony product) program because it had a better interface and was that much easier to use. Given the choice now between both current versions I would choose the same again.

9. warrrreagl

warrrreagl Slightly Tilted

I'm late to the thread, but I have to echo what others have already said. My job provides me with a laptop using Windows, and another desk computer using Mac. All of our work-related software (especially the gateway for my online classes) is set for Mac and Windows, so I go with whatever they give me.

10. TheProf New Member

Hello,

Everyone's responses have been very interesting.

I've been using Linux for nearly 10 years and started out dual-booting a computer with windows 95 and Linux. Migrated over to only using Linux until my wife came along and she was more comfortable with Windows just because she's always been using it (inertia!). However she had no real issue with using Linux and was quite adept at finding out how to do whatever she needed to do on her own.

I have run a variety of distributions and a user's experience really does depend on which one they run. For the person migrating over from Windows / Mac I'd say stick with Mint, Ubuntu, or Fedora -- in that order. Many of them allow you to download the distribution and install it on a DVD or USB stick and try it out for free without even modifying anything on your computer first.

I originally got into Linux because I couldn't afford to pay for a lot of the software that was on Windows as a student, and I didn't feel it was morally acceptable to pirate it. With Linux I get access to hundreds of thousands of software applications -- for free! Usually whatever I need from the Windows world exists in Linux or a close-enough facsimile.

Alright I think I'm starting to sound like a salesperson so I'll stop now!

11. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

For the record most windows software is enormously discounted for students, I paid $30 for win7.

12. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Educational discounts are awesome. The best I know of is that if you have a license for Adobe Lightroom at work, you are allowed to install a second copy on your personal home computer under the same license. I assume the idea is that if you use it at work and are allowed to use it for personal use at home, they've significantly reduced the odds of you buying Aperture. With the educational discount it's $89 instead of $300. Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to educational software.

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My husband got 2 licenses free of charge because the licenses for the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version are different. I use the 64 version; he uses the 32. It's pretty great.

14. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Why would you ever use 32bit? 64bit is transparently backwards compatible and every processor since the pentium 4 has been x86_64.

15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Because that way we got two licenses for free? As college students, free is a good price.

16. Speed_Gibson

That is the main problem with my win7 desktop. The 32 bit home edition only sees 3 GB of the 4 GB installed. I am inclined to throw a 64 bit flavour of linux on there as a dual-boot and upgrade to 8 GB. Upgrading to the 64 bit option Win7 is somewhere on my list and just the thought of installing Win8 ranks up there with pulling my own teeth with rusty pliers.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  17. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Unless they've FINALLY worked it out you'll still "lose" a chunk of your system's ram equivalent to however much is on other devices (GPU usually being the main culprit).

18. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

A 64 bit Windows isn't for everybody, it requires more ram and there are can be an issue getting drivers for some (older) hardware. The general view is that with less than 4 GB ram 64 bit Windows gives no improvement over 32 bit. Your mileage may vary.
    So for the general home user (grandparents) I would not recommend a 64 bit version, maybe if it came pre-installed.

19. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I finally upgraded Linux last weekend, and now get to trouble shoot why it doesn't like my external monitor...

But, I have to say that it has improved a lot since I first started using it in the 90s. And even the mac upgrade didn't go quite as smoothly as I had hoped (NTFS write drivers...)

20. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

The reason I do not use Linux is because it isn't compatible with Switchable Graphics. Oddly enough, Windows 8 isn't either, so it's a fault of the hardware and not the software. I have used Ubuntu, and it's fun to toy around with. But I don't have much use for many of its programs as opposed to programs that I run on Windows. I prefer Photoshop to GIMP, MS Office to OpenOffice, iTunes/WMP to Rhythmbox/Songbird, etc.

I am, however, a huge fan of Joli OS. It's cloud based but also integrates the GNOME architecture. It's extremely lightweight but I get more use out of it than Ubuntu, so...yeah.