1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't you use Linux?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by ASU2003, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

At work, I use what they give me.

At home, I just want something simple. I tried to put Linux on a PC 8 or 9 years ago and couldn't make any of my games play or it understand my printer. I guess it may have improved - but I just want something that I know anything I want to connect to the PC is pretty much plug and play, any game I buy is gonna work, and I can browse the net and download stuff.

The things I use my PC for are limited, and I just feel like Linux will give me more effort for no more reward (that might not be actually true, but its how I feel)

2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

For browsing the net and downloading stuff, I like Linux better.

For games, I don't know, but I wouldn't count on it.

Some things have improved in the past 8 years, a lot of it has stayed the same. They changed something in this past version that messes up my external monitor. But, they never seem to work together or fix the old problems before putting out another new version with 'new' features and problems.

3. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I boot into my linux install more at work when I bring the laptop in to work on writing or notes during break or lunch time. I fully appreciate being to read the same .ODT files in either operating system and know that it is the native file format for the Office suite in both places.
    One minor thing Ubuntu does that can be irritating is how it absolutely insists on trying to connect to the work wi-fi network I have no access to at fairly frequent intervals when Windows 7 does not care in the slightest and will only do so if asked. No doubt there is a line in a config file somewhere in Linux that would change it, but not enough motivation to look for it yet.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  4. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I think my distrohopping and late night forways into Bash have caught up with me... last night I had a dream about reinstalling vanilla Arch on my laptop and getting it right this time.

Why can't it ever be Scarlett Johansson?

• Like Like x 2
  5. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

This is exactly the kind of thing that keeps me from bothering. I'm sure that Windows has its own quirks and bugs like that, but I've used it for so long that I can't even think of any off the top of my head because I'm so used to them. I don't have any reason to go and adapt to not only a new way of doing thing, but also a new set of annoyances.