1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Why limit refugees?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by genuinemommy, Sep 24, 2016.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

This is an interesting perspective from small town America

Shrinking Small Towns See Hope in Refugees

• Like Like x 1
  2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

What If Muslim Immigrants Don't Want to Be "Like Us"? | The National Interest Blog

I don't necessarily agree with all of the points the article makes, but I think the question is valid. I think the same thing applies to Central American migrants as well, although I worry more about them wanting to work hard for half the pay and benefits.

The reason we limit refugees is that we don't have a good track record of repatriating them once the conflict is taken care of. I think the Europeans would think differently about the refugees if they knew that once Assad and ISIS were gone that they would be expected to return, and take liberal European values back to make Syria a tolerant and modern place to live. But, the problem is that for some reason the Middle East has gotten more oppressive towards women and Westerners in the past 50 years.

While I would like it if immigrant Muslims questioned their faith, the rules, and what role religion had in the problems the world is dealing with. I would also like to see more liberal versions of Islam get media attention of how it should be and is better than the militant version with all the dead guys.

Progressive Muslims Launch Gay-Friendly, Women-Led Mosques In Attempt To Reform American Islam | Huffington Post

3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I have good friends who are Muslim and they are every bit as pissed off the Saudi Arabia or Dubai won't take refugees as the rest of us.
    The countries that can afford to and should have the most vested interest won't because they refuse to take the risk of shifting the balance of power in their country.
    They would much rather import their labor from places like the Philippines or Tibet where they can control the passports and keep the people as virtual slaves.

As a country built on the idea of;
    Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch,
    whose flameIs the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame."
    Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

We need to take in as many people as we can in a safe and reasonable fashion.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Of course it doesn't make sense to simply open the borders, but putting an arbitrary cap or limit on refugees can be shortsighted. I don't want to retread much on what's already been said here, but there are pros and cons to having refugees, and I think places like Canada and the US have all of the serious ones in mind. The process for applying for refugee status is more complex than many realize, so by the time refugees actually get accepted and resettled here, they've been through quite a bit of scrutiny and filtering.

That aside, I think many worry too much about who's showing up in their neighbourhoods (or, as the case may be, simply their province/state) and ignore the atrocities being committed in places like Syria.

Just last May, Roméo Dallaire said that the Rwandan genocide is being repeated in Syria and the world isn't doing enough to stop it. And now this is happening: http://www.attn.com/stories/11727/nearly-100-children-were-killed-aleppo-since-friday

So while people are uneasy, panicky, or whatever it is about Syrian refugees coming to Canada and the US, among other places, hundreds of children are being maimed and killed by Syrian and Russian forces.

Civilian casualties aside (and there are hundreds of thousands), Syria represents some of the worst numbers of displaced persons since the Rwandan genocide, and we all know how we feel about Rwanda in hindsight. The expression that sticks to mind about Rwanda applies here: What's going on in Syria now is nothing short of a failure of humanity.

I get concerns about security, and I get that terrorism is a real threat, but I have no patience for xenophobia about refugees during a brutal crisis 5+ years in the making.

If you want to get angry at anything or anybody, get angry at your government for failing to do enough to stop our current "Rwanda," get angry at those who don't understand the magnitude of suffering that's been going on for half a decade.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

-+-{Important TFP Staff Message}-+-
    I separated out the relevant posts (as best I could before coffee), and now you can find the discussion of Israel, Palestine, and stuff here: https://www.thetfp.com/threads/israel-palestine-and-stuff.11018/

Please direct your discussions on the topics accordingly.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1