1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Why should you 'like' anything here at TFP 5.0?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cynthetiq, Aug 17, 2011.

1. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

would it be possible to pull over the old hall of fame threads? some of them were golden words of golden advice from golden people who might've been taking golden showers

2. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

Agreed (though I don't know about that golden showers business). I would really like to re-read the thread with stories from the TFP member about his experiences in the Canadian military. I feel bad for not remembering his name ( I keep thinking it's something about a bear,but I don't know).

3. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Could this be curiousbear
    ?

4. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

i think the most referenced thread would be somewhere between 9er's handy dandy getting over a breakup guide and the ultimate blow-j guide for the ladies

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Not without a whole lot of aggravation and gnashing of teeth. It was a really hard thing to do to let go of the information and not carry it directly over. Understand that many people find us by those very threads, right now about 17,000 uniques cruise through that space every single day. I'm working on a plan to get it into this format, but it definitely cannot share the same database. There's privacy issues that I have to be concerned about and I cannot guarantee that it will keep that intact.

Trust, I wanted it to come over as bad as many of you do. I painstakingly tried many times and many weekends to make it work. There was one instance I got it really close but it took almost 60 hours to do and required baby sitting for the entire time.

you can see at least one of those efforts here.

6. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

As much as I enjoy the photo threads, they're really not in the same league as those classic "Help, my GF is pregnant" threads.

Apples and oranges, I know, but I have yet to burst into peals of laughter over any picture of the sky.

7. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

^^^^ Yup

And I've been thinking about this:

Some forums can be modified so posts do not count toward postcount.
    Might there be a way of modifying a forum so likes do not add toward 'like counts'?
    I like 'liking' in the photo threads, because my 'Verbal' is for discussions. The photo threads are a change of gear into the visual world, a place where I like to feel I can, but don't need to weave words. Also, for me, liking in a photo thread is a different animal from when I like in a discussion thread.

As a general point about HoF candidates,I do recognise that choosing via individual submission and decision is less streamlined, and Cyn's reasons for seeking to reorganise how the hall of fame works make sense. I would like to offer the following: it occurs to me that 'Hall of Fame' material could be a different class from high 'like-count' material. 'Like' is about posts. For example, SF's post in the 'five dates' thread is, IMO a classic post. I'd say Hall of Fame is about a synergy which 'Illuminates' a thread. For example, that Desert Thingy Gun thread, IMO, derived it's immortality from the relationship between posts rather than from the individual posts, which did not need to be 'likeable' on their own terms.

8. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

BigBen931; his avatar is a bear. http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/hall-fame/83640-i-work-d-n-d-oy-oy.html

9. sapiens

sapiens Vertical