1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Wildlife around your house

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by curiousbear, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I live in a rather active pocket of woods. We've got squirrels that run off with tomatoes, outdoor cats that will run into your living room, a variety of noisy birds.

There is a skunk living under my neighbor's deck. Every time I mow the yard, notice that the entryway to the warren has been modified slightly from foot traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

I live in what can be said to be an inner city neighbourhood - Toronto folks would know the area of the Danforth - but if you can visualize the kind of street that was in the opening credits of All in the Family - yeah, it's like an Archie Bunker kind of place.

The most common wildlife here is the Raccoon. Bungee cords are much in demand for securing the compost bins lids.

Then mice (they like to sleep under my BBQ cover).

Bats - I built a bat house and installed it on the side of my shed

Squirrels - Oak trees in the backyard.

Birds: we feed chickadees, finches, cardinals, bluejays. I have seen a Coopers Hawk and an owl. there's tons of sparrows and starlings, cowbirds. Seagulls sometimes fly over from the lake (it's about 2 km away) and there are thousands of cormorants on the lake.

Cats: apparently there are feral cats around. I see the odd tom, but the neighbours constantly let their pets run loose in the street. Several have perished due to cars running over them or a couple have eaten mice that have in turn eaten poison and have gotten sick.

Coyotes: have made an appearance in the downtown area. they are making the news fairly often - attacking pets. even children. They live in the ravines.

Deer: My wife spooked a white tail deer that was nibbling on her peonies in our back yard. She tried to quietly slide open the glass door and screen to take its picture, but it heard and bounded over our (4 ft tall chain link) fence, into our neighbour's yard, down the driveway, across the street and holed up in a back yard there until the animal services folks came and removed it.

We think the deer made its way down through the ravines and railway right of ways to get into our street.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I think I saw more raccoons in Toronto than I've ever seen anywhere else. They were EVERYWHERE after dark. Huddled shape crossing the road? Cat? No. Raccoon.

4. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

you betcha snowy. I've had my share of stand offs with those guys - The garden hose on full blast, chasing them out of the yard. there's a family of 4 kits and 2 parents living in the backyard neighbour's garage (or under it) and every night they trot out in single file to raid compost bins. I always heard their claws scrabbling up the outside of my house when I was trying to sleep. I had to put a 12 ft long piece of 6 inch metal flashing around the corner of the house ,to stop that.

they also look for grubs in the lawn, and pretty well destroy the grass by tearing it up over night.
    --- merged: Nov 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM ---
    and to make matters worse, I think the damn things are protected. By the freaking city government. No, not the Rob Ford side show government, the previous Miller side show government.
    --- merged: Nov 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM ---
    Oh yeah, while I'm at it, you know what else the city protects? Do you?? Fricken Canada Geese. Another form of pest er... wildlife that is everywhere here. Yeah, you can't hunt them for Christmas dinner. I'm glad when they all fly south to the US like a dependable SnowBird.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2013
  5. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

PC075029.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  7. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

My neighbors are the wildest life around here.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

The most obvious are the rabbits...my dogs love seeing those bunnies. (Whaaaooooo....)
    Then squirrels.
    The many birds are apparent, even aggressive protecting their nest...
    some of them swoop at us. (one of them actually went for the back of my head)

I've seen a couple of snakes...periodically hawks in pairs...geese while they are migrating.
    Maybe a fox.

No deer, those are mostly down at my mom's place.

I love them, give me a good feeling...kind of like they are a good omen.
    The world is alive around us...despite our civilization. (and I'm in the middle of DC/Baltimore region)

• Like Like x 1
  9. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I saw a coyote about two miles from my house a couple of weeks ago. Think I posted that on PA. But it bears mentioning here. It's the first that I've seen in this area.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Terrell

Terrell Vertical

We used to have feral cats here, but the HOA started trapping them. I've heard of bear and coyote sightings here, but I've never seen one myself. It does surprise me that Wile E may be near here, same for Yogi, when I don't live in a rural area. (Orlando, Florida)

11. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Are you a friend of @mixedmedia ?

12. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

No, I'm afraid not. :)

13. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

We have the typical:

Dogs
    Cats
    Mice
    Coyotes
    Deer
    Moose
    Bears
    Foxes
    But No rats (alberta is rat free)
    Sparrows, crows, hawks, ducks and these:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

Pelicans and loons, too.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

• Like Like x 2
  16. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

Thanks esp for those bird pictures
    --- merged: Jan 29, 2014 at 1:59 AM ---
    Last year - right on our Patio - twice say this guy! Never imagined to see a Salamander in our home & garden

salamandar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steam Heat

Steam Heat New Member

*laughs*

I spent my growing up years in Southern California, living on the edge of a canyon. Mom and dad are still there, and for the last 15 or 20 years, they have . . . relocated the various wildlife that often show up in their backyard. Raccoons mostly, plenty of possums, the occasional coyote or skunk.

Dad drives the caught critters across a nearby eight-lane freeway and deposits them on the edge of a golf course. We've wondered for years what the golf course groundsmen must think of the regular influx of varmints that show up on the links. :D

Around my place, there are lots of hawks, owls, coyotes, deer, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, and possums. Eagles sometimes show up. About eight years ago, I saw a bobcat on the six-mile drive into town - fortunately they've not shown up in my neighborhood. This past summer, there was a bear hanging around for a week or so. A few years ago, we had a crazy infestation of chipmunks - ten or twelve ended up in an old empty garbage can in the garage - they'd fallen in there when trying to jump across a big gap in some wall shelving. Scared the wee out of me when I walked in there one day and heard them trying to escape!

Of course, the predators concern me, as I raise chickens, and I've lost many to them over the years.

I have a loaded shotgun by the front door and don't hesitate to use it - mostly as a noisemaker to scare the predators away, but on a few occasions, I've used it to kill. While this is not a pleasant task, I will admit that I take extreme pleasure in mole assassinations. Moles are from the devil.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  18. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

We have a couple of unusual (??) birds around our neighborhood that I used to see late at night when I walked the dogs. I'm not a bird person, but to me they looked like a cross between a heron and an egret, not as big as a heron, maybe a little bigger than an egret, and dark in color. I didn't see them feeding along the (sort of) nearby bayou, they seemed to be hunting bugs in the lawns.

19. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Lots of chickadees hanging around this morning. Ruff thinks they must be tasty treats in the trees just for her.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Found this little guy on my door this evening

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1