1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Wonderful Carbonara

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Snake Eater, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Snake Eater

Snake Eater Vertical

This is a simple, fast and delicious Pasta Carbonara recipe. It sounds more complicated than it actually is. It can be prepared in about the time it takes to boil water and cook pasta.

If you have never tried a good carbonara this is a must-d0 recipe.

So, this recipe is going to come together in three parts:

1: Fry about a half pound of good bacon (cut into very small strips). Add a half onion diced about halfway through. Also add some olive oil and a little butter to help everything brown. Cook thoroughly and then discard about half the fat/oil in the pan. Then brown and deglaze multiple times by adding a half-cup of white wine slowly. Add pepper, garlic and salt to taste. Cook down until the white whine has been thoroughly reduced.

Be careful to avoid burning the bacon... as the water content decreases the pan temperature will skyrocket. The bacon should be very well cooked/ crispy.

After finishing put on low heat to keep warm.

2: Grate about 6 ounces of fresh parmesean and whisk it together with 3 eggs.

3: Cook 1 lb. of Linguine.

Be sure to time the Pasta so that it finishes after the first two steps. The heat of the freshly cooked pasta is necessary to cook the eggs.

4: Chop about 4 tablespoons of parsley.

When the pasta is ready drain it and then combine the (hot) pasta in a large pot with the bacon mixture and the egg-cheese mixture. Mix/stir/shake vigorously to combine all the ingredients and cook the eggs. Plate immediately and add the parsely. Serve with a lightly (if at all) oaked Pino Grigio.

The finished product will taste very rich, cheesy and bacony. The white wine will be noticeable.

Enjoy

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Sounds yummy, you had me at bacon. :D

3. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Sounds great.

Gotta say, though... the pasta carbonara I had last week was unbelievably good. I will have it again in a week's time and am looking forward to it. :)

[​IMG]

4. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

hmmmm finding good bacon around here will be the hardest part I think

5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

The obvious answer is try a butcher shop. But our local grocery store has great bacon behind the butcher counter, far better than any of the prepackaged brands, and it's always at least $1/lb cheaper. :cool:

6. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

120000 calories later....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

Carbonara is one of the all time great "dinner date" recipes. Almost zero prep time, two pans, one bowl, handful of ingredients, fabulous results.

It's like having a magic wand that sends a girl to your bed. :D

8. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

And it's even better if the sauce comes along...

9. Snake Eater

Snake Eater Vertical

I'm telling you guys, this recipe is worth actually making.

It is also worth using to woo a cute girl; though while it will likely work, if it works too often the girl won't be cute anymore.

By *good* bacon, I meant the best that is available at food-lion. Not true top-shelf stuff, though I can't imagine quality ingredients will do anything except improve the dish.

If anyone actually makes this, please leave some feedback. I will try to post some pictures from the next batch I make.

10. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

Carbonara is also one of my all time favourites. make this one quite often. Sometimes with Rotini instead of noodles.