1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Words for my daughter

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by kramus, Nov 10, 2015.

1. kramus

kramus what I might see

I have a daughter who sometimes posts poems on social media. Usually during a low time. She has a big heart and is (I think) bipolar. At least on that spectrum.
    There is a beloved that she's very recently parted from. She is living with an old highschool chum's parents gratis because she hasn't had a real opportunity to save much for a rainy day. She has been uprooted for the last several years, travelling overseas and out West. I think this man now gone was her anchor, her quiet place, her solace in a world unsettled. She hasn't really firmed up her career and is again looking for work.
    Anyway, earlier today she posted a photo of herself on social media and it was filtered with coarse texture and reddened eyes. Attached were a few of her words running with unhappiness. It was pained and painful both.

"we were young once
    we were innocent and pure
    experience branded
    burning flesh
    seared to ash"

I was moved to write my own bit of poetry as a response. The first I've written in a while I think. I hope it resonates with her in a way that helps.

Deepened
    Layers revealed perhaps.

or a gouging - the scoured working of once-unmarked simplicity into unrecognized, unknown vistas

Geographies over time evolve from smooth plain to complexities
    Hardened sediments
    Riven magma rivers
    Shaken mountains
    And a draining of sweet water

But past pain and beyond still-red scars lies music
    and beauty that flows over these things like wind over trees, like a masterful hand over an instrument
    And when you are far enough along your path
    A path in part you have trod in pain, in tedium, in hope set down or joy gone grey
    You see past is a passing into clarity
    Clear as new sweet water returned
    Fresh as a flowering
    Flowering from soil which once was stone - stone now wrought through time and turmoil and textures until it may nurture new seeds.

And in all this, release lives
    And beauty resides
    Again Anew Always

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

This is beautiful. I'd love to get such a response from my father.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

THATS GREAT

• Like Like x 1
  4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Really good stuff.

• Like Like x 1