1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Working out and supplements

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by pWf, Apr 7, 2013.

1. pWf

pWf Getting Tilted

I have been hitting it hard in the gym these days and not seeing the results I really want. A year ago in September I started eating better and then a year ago in March I started in the gym doing treadmill and elliptical. The following April/May I started with weights in my workout. I was counting calories during all this time and remained very thin. Over all I had lost about 50 lbs. I have been meeting with a couple of trainers and trying some supplements, mostly whey protein and a pre workout. I have kept my diet (my food intake) about the same, except for the protein shakes and bars I eat. I am seeing some gain, but would really like my arms to pop. My chest has gotten bigger, but in all the extra calories of the protein, I have lost some of my ab definition, and gained a little around the belly.

I guess my question is, if you workout and are working out for body definition, what do you do for supplements, food intake etc. Just curious since it seems there are some that work out here towards that goal.

2. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

If you want to get bigger, you have to up the calories. Keep them as 'clean' as possible, but you will probably ( highly likely ) gain some fat along with those muscles. If having fat around your belly bothers you, then you will probably stay skinny and not have a lot of muscle gains.

Once you gain some muscle you can diet down to a leaner weight though.

What kind of exercises do you do? I hope you are doing some good lower body work too. ( squats, deadlifts, etc )

• Like Like x 1
  3. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

What kind of protein regiment are you on? If you want to get bigger then you need to drown in protein. Hydro within 30 minutes of finishing and casein on an empty stomach before bed is a good start. I used to add a bit of protein along with my pre-workout drink just to keep my muscles from fatiguing too quickly. This doesn't work for everyone as it can make you nauseous.

If you want to pop while you are working out then you'll need to add Arginine to your mix. Don't forget your BCAAs after you're done as well. The BCAAs that are in protein generally isn't enough to sustain for results.

Oh... and what is your creatine regiment like?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

I too have been sporting the Michelin tire around my lower abdomen for a consistent year. I know how to make it go away, but I have no use for that now as I am still bulking. I have been on a consistent bulk for the last year since Dec of 2011. I have since gained from 117 to 152 and I need to continue that until I hit my comfy 160 then I'll start cutting.

Don't worry about the belly fat, focus on strength on week endurance the next and instead of working out on designated days (i.e. Mon-Tues-Wed etc etc) work out on designated work outs (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 etc etc) that way you won't repeat the same exercise on the same day on a 3 week span. This ensures that you become both stronger and achieve more endurance (last longer during sets).

The food on the other hand is a big problem for me. I HATE eating and hate it even more now that I began bulking. You have to eat whatever is in front of you. Eat everything, if it's in your hands, eat it. The only exception to this rule is you have to cook it yourself. I say that because you're less likely to make fried chicken or french fries or other fatty/unhealthy foods. If you calorie count, a gainer has to consume at least 4k calories. Identify foods that you want to eat and buy the ingredients and cook them yourself. The shakes help a great deal but those are to ensure that you get a sample of the nutrition you need daily and not to actually replace a meal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

There is a lot of horseshit out there in the supplement industry. You don't need to "drown" in protein. You don't need to take virtually useless things like BCAA supplements. The exception, maybe, is if you're a professional bodybuilder and you want unnatural growth. But then you're working out five or six days a week an hour or two at a time, so you're going to need to supplement your abused body.

If you're a casual lifter and want to build muscle, the number and type of calories matter more than anything besides working out right (a can of worms in itself). If you want to grow muscle, you need a caloric surplus. Find out your needs to break even and add 500 or more per day. If you're hitting something like 60/30/30 for carbs/protein/fat ratio, you should be fine. I've had as high as 80% carbs, but I've always aimed to have at as much as 1 g of protein per pound of body weight. I've weighed about 180 lbs. at my max. and I was comfortable with getting at least 150 g. of protein per day, mostly from food. It's difficult to grow a lot of muscle and keep the fat down, so figure out your ultimate goal and concentrate on that.

My philosophy on supplements has changed over the years, but I've always had the thought that less is more. The reason? Nutritious food should not be ignored or eliminated while using supplements as a crutch. I'd rather get 30 g of protein from nuts and legumes than from a scoop of whey isolate. Why? Because there is a shitload more nutrients in those things that will fuel and repair your body and make it function as it should.

A scoop of whey is great when you want convenience, but you're better off taking the time to eat whole foods. I also don't believe whey is the be-all and end-all of protein. I don't believe whey isolate is the best whey form. I'd rather a concentrate or an isolate/concentrate blend. I also typically only choose whey when there's a good deal on it ($25 for 900 g, for example). It's no longer my preferred protein supplement. I'd sooner choose a soy or soy/pea/rice protein blend. The good thing about soy protein is its high glutamine content. Some people supplement with glutamine itself, but I think that's a waste when it's all sitting there in soy protein.

Recently, my number one preferred protein supplement has been hemp protein. There's a product I use that's 50% protein. The rest is made up of of fat and fibre and about 1 g of sugar. The amino acid profile is spectacular, and the fat content is rich in omega-3s and even the difficult to find omega-6 GLA. These help with inflammation, heart health, brain health, etc.

It's a bit pricier than the cheapest whey (about $40 for 1 kg), but the nutrition packed into it makes it worth it.

I also use hemp hearts, which are the whole seeds. I use this on cereal and salads, while I use the hemp protein in shakes. The seeds have a higher ratio of fat to protein, but they're also loaded with vitamins and minerals, especially B vitamins, iron, magnesium, and zinc, which are quite useful to the muscles.

Also, I've heard that people have problems with bloating while consuming lots of whey protein. Hemp, on the other hand, will keep you lean and regular. :p

Anyway, I could go on. The only other supplements I might suggest (and use myself) include a multivitamin (for insurance, not a substitute) and a clean fish oil if you don't eat fatty cold water fish regularly.

Everything else is probably going to waste your money. You can achieve what you want from them by eating right, working right, and recovering right.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

So while I largely agree with @Baraka_Guru's sentiment, I have to disagree about being able to get everything from eating right. Eating right is important, yes, but think about it like this, if you could drink a glass of water and your body retains a quarter of it, what about when it comes to nutrition? You retain a significantly less amount of nutritious value than what you actually consume. That said, the rest of B_G's post is complemented with a balance that requires rapt attention paid to schedule, work out, sleep, lifestyle etc etc etc.

Drowning in protein is the shortcut route to becoming healthy. Besides, I go to the gym 3 days, rest 1, 2 days after I'm back, rest 1, rinse repeat. That's essentially 5 days out of a week that I'm in there. Anything more than 4 days weekly would require mandatory refueling. I don't know where you could get essential amino acids with BCAA, creatine, and plain old whey by just eating right and supplementing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Random McRandom

I think we need to know what exactly the OP is trying to accomplish. Is it just to get a little bigger or get huge?

Protein is going to add weight, particularly to the midsection. It's just a side effect that can't be avoided. This is why people go through cycles such as bulking and cutting.

Yes, Baraka_Guru is right about eating right and balancing things. Yes, he goes overboard on the "clean" aspect of working out etc. This is why it's important to know exactly what you're trying to accomplish in the gym. If you're trying to get massive, just eating better foods isn't going to get you there. You'll need to "drown" in protein in various forms, take testosterone boosters, maintain proper creatine levels, supplement BCAAs & vitamins and up caloric intake. If a person is like Xerxes and is basically a bean pole, :D , then upping protein to 100+grams a day is going to help bulk in order to get the muscles larger. Once the desired look is achieved, then cutting the fat isn't too difficult via supplements and a change in basic routines.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Baraka_Guru

There are a number of factors, of course, but your genetics, your lifestyle choices, and your food choices will determine how your body absorbs and uses nutrients you consume. For example, a diet high in animal fat but low in insoluble fibre and certain plant fats will pretty much guarantee a reduced capacity to absorb nutrients. This is why balanced diets are important.

As far as retaining or using nutrients are concerned, this is why they have established RDAs and recommended intakes.

Lifestyle choices such as smoking, excessive alcohol intake, drinking too much coffee, suffering too much stress, and a lack of sleep can also influence nutrition intake, processing, usage, and retention.

The thing to remember is that supplements are only useful when they make up for what the diet lacks or is missing. Other than that, they can be used to give an advantage or an edge. Even then, eating a certain way can produce excellent results whether you supplement or not.

Supplements may give you an edge here or there, but they're going to cost you. In many cases, they probably cost more than they're worth. I imagine spending any more than $50 to $100 per month on supplements is a waste of money.
    --- merged: Apr 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM ---
    Well, this is the thing. This is why I wanted to separate between the casual weightlifter and the professional. One is simply trying to build muscle, while the other is trying for what I'd argue is unnatural growth. Most don't even have the genetics to do what the top bodybuilders do, with or without supplements.

I'm technically on the forgiving end of the "hardgainer" type. I have a slim build and a high metabolism. I don't have the genetics for huge muscle mass. I'd have to game and trick my body using chemicals and shit to get myself to look like The Rock. I'd also have to abuse myself in the gym, and I'm not prepared to do that.

Instead, I typically took the simple approach: eat right, lift right, recover right.

Supplements were an add-on, not my foundation. I worked out three times per week: full-out 1-hour sessions of full-body workouts. I never worked out on consecutive days, and I wouldn't work out unless I knew I recovered enough. I'd sleep at least 7 hours a night.

That sort of thing.

I'm the rare type who can burn fat and build muscle at the same time. I went from 160 down to 145, then up to around 180 when I was trying my darndest to build muscle. I was consuming over 4,000 calories a day, mostly vegetarian (my hunger was insatiable, and this is one of the reasons why I stopped lifting for mass). My only supplements were a daily scoop of protein (sometimes whey, sometimes soy, sometimes soy/pea/rice), a multivitamin, and a teaspoon of fish oil.

None of this stuff is one size fits all, of course. If you're coming from being overweight, then you may want to go the route of "lean building." But that's going to require making a trade-off. Max muscle gains come with fat gains. It comes back to the calories. Calories are what make the difference. You can consume all the protein you want, but if you aren't consuming enough calories, you aren't going to achieve optimal growth. Carbs are important to fuel the muscles (both in the gym and in growth/recovery), and fat is important for a number of roles, including energy, anti-inflammation, and nutrient usage.

Protein, carbs, fat: They fuel the body, they repair the body, they make it work. Taking tablets or powders is a waste of time and money if you don't have a good foundation of nutrition.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Random McRandom

Supplements should never be the foundation

There's a reason they are called supplements ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baraka_Guru

I know, right? But it's deceptive when you read or hear the "bro science." You see guys going on about stacks, protein (whey or no way!), acronym this, acronym that, and then they look at nutrition and all they're eating is rice and meat with a few veggies.

It's terribly shortsighted and goes against what we know about nutrition, even sports nutrition. Protein is overemphasized. Yes, muscles use it for growth, but it's not the only macronutrient required for growth.

The only thing that pisses me off more than misconceptions and overexaggerations of protein are misconceptions and overexaggerations of carbs. :mad:

Fuck, I should have been a nutritionist or some shit.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Random McRandom

I've gone on stacks before, but it was for a specific purpose. Once I got to where I needed to be the stacks went away and I supplemented how I needed to in order to keep myself in that position.

You are correct though, meat head philosophy is far different than real nutrition knowledge.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Baraka_Guru

I have no problem with supplements for specific goals. I see it as a short-term thing, and it can be overdone.

The way I look at it, though, more recently, is that I prefer to consume things that I wouldn't mind consuming regularly and indefinitely.

If I can't get my body a certain way with daily nutrition and minimal supplements, I tend to want to rethink my goals.

I'm a hardgainer after all.

My body's responding well to Muay Thai though. :p

I think people should exercise to unlock their genetic potential, rather than game it.

I no longer want to be huge. I want to be fit—a lean, mean fighting machine. I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to maintain a high level of muscle mass for my build because it would take more work and calories than I was willing to contribute to it.

pWf: This is what you need to determine. What is your your body good at? What's it capable of? Not everyone is meant to be lean, just as not everyone is meant to be huge.

I say play to your strengths. If you're good at building muscle, focus on that. As Glory's Sun suggested, you can burn fat later.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  13. pWf

pWf Getting Tilted

First I have to say what a huge response! Thanks to all of you for your input. The main problem I find when I try and read information from sites is that they are all trying to sell you something, well more than something, a whole shopping cart.

I will give some more info on what I am doing and hoping to accomplish when I can dedicate the proper amount of time to it. I just wanted to say thanks for everyones input and make sure you know it's appreciated. Now off to the gym...

• Like Like x 1
  14. pWf

pWf Getting Tilted

Sorry it has taken me so long to return, sometimes there are not enough hours in the day.

I start out my day with a Whey Isolate Shake that is the whey peanut butter and water. Its good for about 30 grams of protein and keeps me from starving all day. I usually follow that with a Banana and an apple. Followed by lunch which is whole grain bread some roast beef and some cheese. Usually a 30 Gram protein bar followed by supper and I try to eat chicken or if its something I am eating with the family that isn't as clean I would like it, I eat a smaller portions. Then I use a preworkout either C4 or a muscletech preworkout, and then hit the gym about 6:15. I usually workout for about an hour to an hour and a half 5 or 6 days a week. I have exercises set out for each day targeting a different part of the body, and I usually add some extra to regular daily workout to change things up. Usually followed by about 25 minutes of cardio. I then usually have an 8 oz gatorade on the way home, and when I get home another of the whey shakes, and possibly a protein bar before bed.

I mostly use Muscletech which I purchase at Sams because it really does seem to have the best bang for the buck.

With my workouts I of course include bench press and Squats, and use the one rep max workout for both of them.

I have seen some very good growth in my pecks, but what I would really like to see is some in my arms. I think it may be a bit harder for me being six foot, and even though I was overweight I have always been extremely skinny over all, noodle arms. They have thickened a bit, but Not anything near what I have been hoping for. I guess I am just trying to keep a goal to work for, to keep myself working out.

Feel free to ask me anything or suggest whatever you can.

Thanks for your help

15. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

Just recently I graduated to higher/heavier reps in my bench. You have to hit the preacher curls and twice as much triceps for every bicep exercise. The triceps are a larger muscle, improve on them and they improve your bench. For every bench press exercise an equivalent of push-ups as well. Try the incline bench first to prime your chest up.

You will be surprised how many exercises I will require to do before moving to higher class weight. So many compound exercises. If you don't already write them down, go to jefit.com and download the mobile app.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

What is the "one rep max" workout? The only one I find with google is one strictly for gym machines, and looks a lot like HIT training, one set to failure. Might not be the best workout in the world, if you can't generate enough intensity. If you are stalling in your lifting, then you might want to change up to another program.

Since you do squat, have you considered the Stronglifts 5x5, or another variation? It's simple, but effective: StrongLifts 5x5: Ultimate Strength & Muscle Building Program StrongLifts

Personally I don't work arms, on a regular basis, and my benching and rowing takes care of them.
    --- merged: Apr 18, 2013 11:59 AM ---

Also, doing cardio directly after working out with weights might be undoing some of your gains. Muscles require time to heal and resources to grow. You've already used these up by lifting, then you stress your system further with cardio. Just like eating smaller meals throughout the day might be better for nutrient delivery, you might want to break up your total workout, between meals, and resting periods.

If you are focusing on one body part/group a day and working out for an hour, you are probably doing too much work for growth. Personally, I like simple fullbody workouts. If you just want endurance then nevermind. I lift two to three hours per week and I'm as strong as I've ever been, and have put on muscle ( and I'm turning 46 in June ). Go to the gym, bust your ass, then eat and rest. Do cardio on your non-lifting days, or at least later, after you've rested and eaten.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Random McRandom

I think it is important to note that not all supplements are created equal. Even protein supplements can be so far apart despite saying "whey isolate" that you really need to do your research. Sure, you want the most bang for your buck, but you don't want crap either. A lot of the cheaper protein supplements were found to have trace metals in them. Not what I'm looking to ingest but whatever blows your skirt. Personally, I think MuscleTech is pure crap but I'm not going to tell you to switch just based on my opinion. If you really need to research it's beneficial to check out places like bodybuilding.com to get honest reviews.

I've tried a ton of supplements over the years. For me, Optimum has the best whey and the best hydro. Muscle Pharm has the best casein. For pre-workout, it's all dependent on what you're trying to get. A ton of people love Craze because it stacks so well. Jack3d is shit since the reformulation. Assault is pretty good and I stack it with Scivation Xtend during cut phase.

Basically, you need to try different samples of stuff and see what you like because in all seriousness, there are huge differences from one product to the next. I won't dog the C4 you're on, but it did jack shit for me. :shrug:

I think I would do cardio before weights if I was going to combine them. It would certainly help get the blood flowing into the muscles and warm everything up before shoving iron around. Cardio afterwards would seem to me (as Cayvmann has pointed out) to undermine the gains. When you're finished with your sets, take a hydro protein + BCAA shake, wait 30 minutes then put some carbs into your system to get the GI back up and to push fuel back into your body so it can repair the muscles. No fuel = no repair = no growth.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Don't get in a hurry, either. It takes time. Take your measures of where you are, decide where you want to be, and plot out how you are going to get there. Every week or so take a measure of where you are again, and if you've improved you are on the right track, if not you can give it another week or two, then measure again, and see. If you seem to be going backward, or not moving forward, then you need to change what you are doing altogether.

I love food, so I don't usually used any kind of supplement. The occasional whey protein drink when I'm too tired to put a meal together is it. The only time I ever used a weight gainer, it surely worked. I went from ripped to fat in a couple of months... ( It was a Weider product, so... ) I got in a hurry and tried the quick fix. Never works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Cardio after weights is a good way to burn off excess fat, if you are trying to lose weight. It takes advantage of a glycogen-depleted state (if you lifted adequately) to use fat as a primary fuel. It's not going to "undo your gains" unless you are working at a high intensity. Keep it LOW intensity, otherwise you will be using amino acids (muscle catabolism) as fuel in addition to fat metabolism.

That said, cardio before weights is a good way to prime your system by increasing bloodflow to your major muscle groups.

20. Baraka_Guru

Don't be afraid to use a whey isolate/concentrate blend, especially if it's cheaper. Pure isolates have a bit higher protein percentage but also have immune-boosting components stripped out of them. Also I don't think there is even a measurable advantage when using a pure isolate over a blend.