1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by snowy, Dec 18, 2013.

1. fattyjack New Member

:cool:

they did not play well (brazil) in this cup.... so they are really lucky when they finished.....

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I got to watch the game yesterday with my Brazilian friend. Listening to him cuss in Portuguese was hilarious!

This game between Germany and Argentina is pretty evenly matched so far.

3. snowy

Well done, Germany.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

My dvr didn't record the last fucking game of the World Cup. WTF?

5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I couldn't pull for the Germans because I'm still reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (my wife thinks I'm crazy for letting WWII influence my thinking).

I couldn't pull for Argentina because their fans take soccer/futbol entirely too seriously (the same reason I was against Brazil).

Oh well.....congrats to Germany for finally getting the win.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

7. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

A really close game - really could've gone either way - both teams had opportunities. A well taken goal to win, though. I bet the inside Argentine defender wishes he'd got on his bike.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I'm not an avid "futbol" viewer but that goal looked pretty nice.

In other news I'm kind of glad it's all over with as this country goes a tad nutty over the games. Stores close, repairs cease etc... The one positive is traffic is nearly nonexistent. So on the one hand you can easily get around town but on the other hand you can't get anything or anything done anywhere if you do go out. I hate to have a serious medical issue arise during and game. "Heart attack? But Mexico is playing... right now. Umm, just put him in exam room two. I'll be there in 90 minutes."
    --- merged: Jul 13, 2014 at 9:31 PM ---
    You realize a ton of Nazi's ended up in Argentina after the war, many followed the "ratline" as they escaped war crimes charges. Argentina welcomed them and covered for many.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
  9. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Just saw a video on espn talking about how a total team effort won the title or something along those not very interesting lines and one of analysts had a Scottish accent. I would watch more "American sports" (or at least consider it) if they had commentators with general U.K. accents.

10. snowy

A number of soccer analysts and announces are. One of the ever-present analysts during the World Cup has been Steve McManaman. Steve McManaman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia He's recognizable by his mild Liverpudlian accent. I loved watching him play at Liverpool in the 90s.

11. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I actually watched the last 40 minutes or so of the final match. Also watched bits and pieces of the the last two US matches. Probably equaled the sum total of soccer I've watched in my life before this.

12. snowy

My best friend came out the other side of this a soccer junkie. He's started watching MLS games as a result. I told him the second week of the World Cup that he'd know he was really in trouble when he started caring about Premier League and Champions League stuff or looked forward to watching CONCACAF qualifiers. He said, "I have no idea what you're talking about." I replied, "You will."

Now he even knows who won the Bundesliga this year.

13. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I don't foresee myself being a junky, but I do think I might find myself doing more than going 'blah, soccer' and clicking the channel.

I've always had respect for the skill and athleticism, just never been my thing. Pretty much every sport I follow I've watched since I was 5-6 years old, and I consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to the sports I follow. It's kind of humbling and a big change of pace to start all over with no background.

14. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Well, at least the US showed well...better than it has before.

15. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Good Game. Perfect result. My dad would have been ecstatic. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Bart Baker parody of one of those theme songs they used. Never have seen any of the actual ones just this one.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  17. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

Now that I've had some time to reflect, I'd say that was a decent match. I feel bad for the criticism that Messi received, and I didn't really think it was the most exciting match of the cup. However, I think that certainly two of the best, if not the two best, teams met up and I really do think Germany deserved this Cup.

I think the US showed well, and while we might not have gone quite as far as we did in Korea, I felt that the attitude about our squad was different this year. I think this is one of the first times, if not the first time I remember when the States weren't treated like flukes that were lucky to be there. S. Africa was better than previous, but still I think we're finally getting some decent respect and showing that we deserve it.

I feel horribly for the Brits, and the Brazillians and somewhat for the Portuguese.

I suppose it will be European league soon, and the MLS is going strong here in the states. It was great chatting with y'all through the tournament. And I was pulling for your Oranje snowy, although it was pretty much a close allegiance when it came to the Brazilian match for 3rd.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Poor Brazil.... I was surprised by the collapse and was hoping that Germany didn't get cocky about the win (they didn't). Also, in Toronto, Brazil was a local favourite on account of Julio Cesar (their goalie) is also the Toronto FC (of the MLS) goalie whilst on loan from the Queens Park Rangers...

19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Yes, I do. Many Nazis wound up in South American countries, including Brazil, not just Argentina.