1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

world of warcraft

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Strange Famous, Aug 16, 2011.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Each patch they increase the graphics. Then you also have assholes out there who insist on having vanity pets out while raiding 10 man, so you have 19 toons on screen instead of 10. Now you also have to worry about distance when on the back of the dragon, the moving clouds and the animated dragon, and also the tentacles... plus the 19 toons, all the animations for attacks and heals, all the glow effects. It's amazeballs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm not that concerned. I've never done more than a 5-man, if that's any indication. My biggest concern is trying to navigate the more populated cities in the game. I remember Dalaran in Northrend being particularly bad.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Dalaran is (mostly) empty now. Stay away from Orgrimmar or Stormwind.

4. cynthetiq

at least there's many more areas in SW to congregate. sheesh that was crazy.

5. Baraka_Guru

Honestly, though, it can't be as bad as it currently is for me on, say, the fleetship in SW:TOR.

6. cynthetiq

I won't know I don't SW:TOR

7. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

If you're into WoW for the leveling, Cata is totally worth it. The goblin and worgen starting zones are awesomesauce and much of the revamped 1-60 content is very cool. I HIGHLY recommend leveling a horde character (even though I play almost exclusively alliance), because the horde quest zones are completely out of this world epic, while the alliance ones are trite pop culture reference after trite pop culture reference. It's been a frustrating expansion to be playing alliance, and who knows if they'll actually get their shit together for MoP. As snowy said, Silverpine is phenomenal, and, since you're finishing Silverpine anyway, you might as well head over to Hillsbrad Foothills, which is home to a quest chain called "Welcome to the Machine" which has been lauded as perhaps the best quest ever put into the game.

Where Cata fails utterly as an expansion is in the endgame. It has had some of the least inspired, least fun raiding content to ever be put into the game, and to make matters worst, it has roughly HALF the number of raid bosses of the other expansions. Since it doesn't sound like raiding is something you care much about (if you care at all), this likely won't affect you much. I will say, however, that if you make it to 85, it's worth it to put some hours into getting your ilvl up high enough to do an LFR run. It might be totally outside your comfort zone or preference, but, since the feature is in there, I think you will enjoy seeing the raid and seeing Deathwing's demise.

I play alliance on US-Korgath and I'm the GM of a relatively small 25m raiding guild. I've been playing since release. Happy to field any questions that haven't been covered.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

The SW:TOR fleetship drops me to 20-25 fps, the lowest that I ever get in WoW is 45. Your mileage may vary.

9. evaderum

evaderum Getting Tilted

I just remembered that they more recently added a 64-bit version, which is basically just a different Launcher / WoW.exe
    But, I've heard that it makes a non-trivial difference for those that have a 64 bit comp with 64 bit windows and whatnot

The Shadows setting also makes a huge difference in fps if you set it to anything higher than the lowest setting or two

10. Wyvers

Wyvers New Member

Is pvp or battlegrounds still highly stacked depending who you're matched with or has that gotten a bit better in terms of matching people with similar gear levels?

11. Baraka_Guru

My recommended settings are all GOOD or HIGH. I needed to turn down character detail when I got to Orgrimmar though. It was livable when I did that.

I now have a level 15 Tauren druid. What was that guild you were talking about?

12. snowy

Worgen Freeman.

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

@Baraka_Guru is wondering what's changed in MoP after playing Cata. One, the talent system changed just before MoP came out. As in, I logged into my warlock one day, and things were completely different. I'm not really sure about how it has changed for other classes; insofar as I can tell, it hasn't changed too much for mages. The talent "tree" choices are basically the same; however, the trees themselves are simpler and talents are awarded more infrequently than in the past. Did that come out before you quit, BG?

The monk is a fun class to play--I'm a windwalker, which basically means it's melee DPS. There are other choices--being a hybrid class, depending on the tree you choose, you can tank, heal, or DPS. I tend to prefer DPS classes. It is a bit like playing a ninja, and I think my panda is pretty cute.

Soloing content in MoP is pretty easy and straightforward. There are very few things you need a group for, and getting into groups is easier than ever with all the tools at your disposal. I don't like grouping and never do it, and with the release of Timeless Isle, I feel there is plenty of endgame for me to enjoy if I want to. There are also lots of places for dailies in MoP--the Anglers, Tillers, and Order of the Cloud Serpent all come to mind offhand. You can farm! They went a little less crazy with the phasing in MoP over Cata, which was a good choice. I did love leveling this time--all the Cata content made the lower levels seem fresh and fun, and now that I'm leveling a worgen warlock, I'm exploring some other stories that I didn't get to go through last time, since the leveling process is soooo fast these days. The only place I felt like it slowed was when I hit Outland.

14. Baraka_Guru

I can't recall when I quit. But looking at the patch notes, it was likely a couple of years ago. I think it wasn't long before MoP was announced on October 21, 2011. I seem to recall thinking the timing was hilarious. I quit because I was kind of bored, and so they go and announce a really cool-looking expansion.

I've been away maybe 2.5 years. (Oh man. That long?)

I recall a major talent overhaul for all classes sometime during my Cata play. I recall hearing a lot of grief, but I like it because it was much simplified. I found most talent trees to be unnecessarily convoluted.

But what do I know? I'm a hopeless 5-man healer and occasional tank, who uses lame trees for solo questing. I can't speak for end-game players looking at DPS, tank, and healz.

I totally want a panda monk. :D

Hrm.... There is still a lot I haven't seen in the Cata content (lower levels even).

And pandas.

@snowy, you are a temptress!

15. snowy

I know. ;) If you do join up again, you should roll on my lame server, simply because we have a really awesome guild, and they'll take good care of you.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I intended to see the pandas and quit. Go figure, priests have 3 viable, fun specs and the content is pretty good.

My guild has taken casual raiding to the casual end of the spectrum and that's just fine by me.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Baraka_Guru

Damn. I love playing priests....

18. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

Warlords of Draenor looks like it's going to be pretty badass too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Baraka_Guru

My goal is to touchdown in Azeroth by no later than 11:00 p.m. EST. Details to follow. @snowy

• Like Like x 2
  20. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

OMG does everyone on TFP play WoW?

I was in A-School (meaning post-boot-camp tech school specific to your job) way back in 2009, and being married I wanted to find a hobby that didn't get me in trouble by spending too much money or getting me caught up in temptation situations centering on women (or men if relevant) and alcohol (obviously a major past-time for young military people). So one of my also-married buddies I'd met there got me into Wow, back when the Lich King had just come out. I bought WoW and the Burning Crusade expansion, and played a male Prot-Spec Paladin to Lvl 51 and a female Night-Elf Druid to Lvl 32, both in the Stormrage realm. Also, in Coilfang realm I briefly played a female Troll Hunter to Lvl 14 or so, and a male Blood-Elf Paladin to about Lvl 30. I only played for the 2 months I was at A-School in Pensacola though, and sort forgot about it after that. I wonder if my characters (or hell, even my account at all) still exist?