1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

world of warcraft

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Strange Famous, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Shit.

I don't want this game to cater to casual players.

(Though I really do.)

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yeah, you do.

I'm having fun with my garrison so far. Got my first epic follower. Also, the lore nerd in me loves that my garrison's architect is Baros Alexston (in the headcanon for one of my original characters in WoW, Baros was her childhood sweetheart in Westfall. Yes, there is a fanfic that I wrote about it somewhere; I wrote an epic story including all of friends' WoW characters).

3. Baraka_Guru

Ask me about my Draenei erotica sometime. :p

4. snowy

Hooves can be sexy...

Nope.
    --- merged: Nov 13, 2014 at 5:26 PM ---
    Some quick screen caps:
    View: http://imgur.com/a/krNaq

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  5. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Did you ever raid BG (Non-LFG raid)?

When I say casual, what I mean is not grinding out high end PVP gear or spending 15 hours a week just raiding. At my peak I was raiding about 25 hours a week not counting crafting/grinding alts. So when I don't raid on normal or heroic, I consider that casual.

6. Baraka_Guru

i have never raided.

I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Is it just a big instance?

/raidvirgin
    /forever5-man
    /wastedhealztalent

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

LOLZ.

8. Lordeden

It basically is a huge instance, except larger and you need more guys/gals/its/Gurlz/Boiz/OMGWTFBBQ (10-man to 30-man [power level is based on players]). You could do LFR raids which I'm told is more casual and doesn't require as much time (few hours for a single raid compared to 30min to 1hr in LFR). The raids are scaled down depending on the level (Last time I checked, LFR -> Normal - > Heroic -> Mythic). LFR just needs lvl 70 gear and beat it. It varies based on gear. Normal needs LFR gear and levels from there. Drops get better as you beat higher powered bosses. You get sets that give you bonuses and are based on classes.

I'm being told most of this by my tech and it fucking makes me sick. You used to have to work really fucking hard to get the beginning level gear to even get into a raid. Then it was a shit-ton of grinding to get better gear to get to higher level raids. If you had full sets of gear, you were awesome and everyone could see it. Damn casuals.

/backinmyday
    /"Wellguyswewipedforthe10thtimeandnogeardrops."
    /godi'mold

• Like Like x 1
  9. snowy

Some of this is still true. My guild has strict iLvl requirements for beginning raiders.

I raided some in vanilla (Onyxia, AQ40). My best friend at the time was a class officer in our guild and always wanted me to come along, as he knew I'd do exactly what I was told. I decided it wasn't for me. My husband was a serious raider and a raid officer in his guild, which was one of the top guilds on Tichondrius back in the day; he got waaaaay too into theorycrafting (like, insane spreadsheets). He did that for about three years, and burnt himself out.

There's a reason why I consider WoW the #1 fishing game.

10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

My formerly semi-hardcore guild has been drifting casual and it really seems that the game is accommodating that. With variable raid sizes, overlapping buffs, and raid locks, we can take whomever shows up and can continue where we left off over a multi-week span.

WoW is a social thing for me, as well. I'd have given up a long time ago; but I really enjoy killing shit with the same folks a couple evenings a week.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Baraka_Guru

I don't view gaming as a second career.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lordeden

That's why I quit. Just like for Snowy's husband, it got way to fucking complicated. I got into it like Stan and ended up being a second job. I was turning down social engagements ("Sorry guys, I can't get drunk tonight, I have a raid.") and was talking to guild members more than I was IRL friends.

When I get back from my service call, I'll tell you about the reason I quit wow. It involves asshats, spreedsheets and a strip club.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baraka_Guru

For me, WoW and games like it are mostly to serve a immersive pleasure. I want to go into a fully realized world to explore it and do some fun shit. As soon as it becomes like math, I'm out.

I'm still curious about getting into some RP WoW.

I can't wait. Hurry up and teach that fogey how to reboot their computer!

14. Lordeden

The tl:dr that I posted earlier might be funnier than the real story.

So, I had an awesome raiding guild named "l'chaim". We were a drinking guild with a raiding problem. Drunken PVP and drunken raids were wonderful things that made fun times on vent. I loved all those guys/gals.

The GM (I started the guild but turned down the GM title) really wanted to progress to better raids but we couldn't get the timing/gear right. We could manage 10 man raids but couldn't get 25 man raids together. We were on a low-pop server and not very high on the guild ranking,

We start raiding with the 2nd tier guys from a major guild that just hopped servers. We were able to progress but couldn't always nail these guys down for raid slots. The GM of our guild and their guild got together about being assimilated into their big guild. I was very much against this, but out of the 5 votes, only I voted against it. The lure of shiny epics were too much for the other officers to resist. Our guild was given to alt characters and everyone joined the bigger guild.

These guys were fucking asshats. The kind of WoW players that made you sick and wished their mothers had swallowed them. I hated every minute there and voiced my opinion in vent (which I found out later I was muted on various occasions by the GM). I begged the old officers to just roll back to our guild, these guys were sucking the fun out of the game. At this point I was pretty burnt out but hanging out because I didn't really have anything better to do (this was during a dark period in my life).

IRL I had moved in with my chef and was working a day job. My chef loved to drink and I loved to drink free. It worked out well for both of us; he didn't drink alone and I drank for free. Mutual destruction for everyone!

The GM started telling me how I was to act in raids (no jokes during boss fights, only while movement between bosses) and told me I was not allowed to drink during raids (I may or may not have drunkenly started Battle for Mount Hyjal while waiting for the rest of the raid group). I was a grown ass man (playing a video game) and no one told me when I could drink (except my bosses and some bartenders). I told him to fuck off and was "warned" about talking to the GM in such a fashion. I was ready to quit, but was asked to stay by my friends in the guild. I was sent various spreadsheets on my healing and how I wasn't meeting guild standards to stay tier 1 raid material. Someone had spent the time to make fucking spreadsheets about my healer. These guys had no life outside of WoW.

One friday night I was waiting on the start of the Raid when my chef/roommate/drinking partner came into the room and asked if I wanted to go to the strip club. He would drive, pay for drinks and buy me a lap dance. I told him, "I can't man, I have to raid." Now, the only raid this guy knew about was a police raid and had no fucking idea why I wouldn't want to look at tits with him. I lost him at "computer game" and he rolled a joint for us to smoke. During the smoking of this joint, he convinced me to go to the strip club with him. I got on vent and told them that I was dropping out of the raid to go to a strip club (this was before it started).

"Devinebovine, you are now banned for raiding for a month with a 2 week tier 2 warning period. You will show up for raids but only to watch us raid."

WTF. I told him I was getting free drinks and to look at naked women. I was told by the 2nd in command that, "This is not a game and our raids will be treated with respect. I have a wife, kids and responsibilities that I put on hold for WoW. If I didn't feel the same way about raiding, then I would never be allowed to raid with [Guild Name]. No self-respecting wow player would drop a raid slot to go to a strip club." I could feel the disdain ooze off his fedora.

I told them all to fuck themselves with their own dicks, this was not fucking worth it.

I quit vent.
    /gquit
    Cancel subscription.
    Started the uninstall of WoW.
    Off to the strip club.

That is the story of why I quit wow.

tl:dr - Asshats everywhere, titties in my face.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  15. snowy

That's a damn good reason to quit WoW.

16. Baraka_Guru

Titties, bro.

Titties FTW

17. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I always remember one of our raid group announcing that his girlfriend had just told him he would get laid if he stopped playing so he was out.
    None of us blamed him a bit.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  18. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

That's pretty much how it is in our guild. We have 2 rules: Don't be an ass and real life > WoW. We've got a mess of smartasses in our guild, someone inevitable would have offered him a 2 min break. We've also have a paladin healer that really, truly sucks sober, that isn't usually a problem.

Admittedly, we have an unusual guild. I'm the only male officer and the only hetero one. Crude humor, dick jokes, beer and bong breaks are the norm. We're considered a second tier guild and that is fine with us.

• Like Like x 2
  19. snowy

Years ago, we used to have a spliff signal in the guild I was in. Of course, three of us lived together and smoked together, so it was useful for us.

20. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

will you buy me a lapdance?

I'm just about to start playing again. I'm waiting for a Friends & Family discount from a friend at Blizzard :)

• Like Like x 1