1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Would like creative non-destructive ideas to display sentimental, retired ties.

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Metallica_Band, Apr 1, 2012.

1. So a long time ago my grand father died. He always wore ties and he had a whole bunch of them. After he died, I got all his ties. I was wondering if anyone knew of a creative way to display his ties or to re-use them or something. It could be made into something artistic or part of something functional.

Any ideas?

2. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

My wife quilts. By hand. Yes, actually makes her own quilts from her own designs (usually). She enjoys the piecing process (putting together the top, decorative piece), but hates the actual quilting (putting the batting in and sewing on the bottom piece). She has the top done for one using old ties... she asked at work for old ties and got several hundred, from which she selected complementary colour patterns and arranged them into a pinwheel sort of circle. I think there are 4 of them in the entire quilt. Granted this is destructive in that they can no longer be used as ties, but it does make for a very nice effect.

3. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

This was going to be my suggestion as well when I saw the thread title. A friend of mine lost her dad just after she graduated from college. She spent the last 2 years of law school sewing exactly this kind of quilt out of his ties while studying.

4. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

It's not so creative but I've become partial to the shadow box for memories like this. Find a nice picture of your grandfather wearing one of the ties you have and put it in a box with that that tie. It's so simple and respectful enough for a memorial.

5. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

make a jacket out of ties and then go to goodwill and get a jacket for 5$ and shred it into a tie-shape just so you can wear around all of your grandpa's ties at once (don't actually do this)