1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Would you live in an age segregated building or neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by ASU2003, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Honestly, I hated when I was living in the dorms at Uni. It's mostly hindsight, but living in the company of other 18-19-20 year olds encouraged the "mob mentality" of, usually, doing something insanely stupid.

I moved out as soon as I got the chance and immediately was immersed in people who were older than me, wiser than me, knew more (but did their best to teach instead of rubbing it in my face), and generally got to see viewpoints that were different than mine, giving me a chance to learn and grow.

That's what I love most of all. Getting the chance to grow and learn from the experiences of others, and in turn being able to impart those experiences that you've garnered with others who haven't yet had the chance. You can't do that if you live with and around people like yourself, who haven't had those other experiences and haven't had the chance to develop those alternating viewpoints.

2. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I know what you think you mean but honestly that came out a lot meaner than I want to believe you intended it. Don't confuse the intellectual, social, and cultural wasteland of greek society with all student housing. Freshmen don't have a choice, and everyone else sticks with it either because it's what they can afford or because prejudiced landlords refuse to rent to students or gouge so hard they can't afford it.

Personally I like a mixture of ages weighted towards young adults mainly because I've met a literal handful of people over 50 who don't genuinely believe the president is a muslim kenyan KGB sleeper agent.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2013
  3. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I don't think I'm confusing anything. I go to college. I'm around young people all the time. I'm in a class of 98 where approx. half of them are under the age of 21. Men and women. The vast majority of them I like. I'm not going to spend a lot of time qualifying what I said because I think it's self-evident and it shouldn't offend anyone. And I think your 'over 50' jab is passive aggressive.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I loved dorm life, but it wasn't so much about "living among my own kind" as it was access to services and proximity to certain things. I think what I really miss about dorm life is the dining hall.

I live in a town that can be heavily age segregated depending on where people choose to live. I'm glad I'm out of the college-heavy neighborhoods. We live on a cul-de-sac with a mixture of families. However, my friends are all nearby (ZombieSquirrel literally lives a stone's throw away on another street), which is very nice.

In terms of speaking about older people, I think it is an intersection of two things that motivates them to live in retirement communities: access to services, social proximity to others, and housing that is specifically designed for their unique needs. The latter piece is really critical and is something we should be doing in all housing to benefit those who are disabled, elderly, or otherwise have impaired movement (see: Universal design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Such measures allow people to age in place. My in-laws are going through this right now. Getting into their house can be difficult for older people because of steps. They are redoing all of their landscaping to make the approach to the house smooth and to create an outdoor space that is accessible for everyone. There will also be a handicapped ramp on the back side of the house. This is especially important since my mother-in-law has mobility issues due to ankle problems; mobility issues strike people of all ages, and it is really something we should be aware of when we construct living environments.

Would I live in a retirement village? Absolutely, so long as it had a tiered living model. My grandfather lived in one for a long time. He first moved there because my oma had Alzheimers, and it was likely he would need assistance caring for her as her illness progressed. The way the community was structured allowed him to keep his independence in an apartment while my oma moved into more advanced stages of care. He had social groups he was a part of, they provided transportation for him when he no longer wished to drive, there was a restaurant on site that actually had very good food, and it generally seemed like a really happy place to be. It had a variety of housing, well-kept grounds, and lots of things to do.

5. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Yes, I would! It was fun in college, and I think it would be comforting as I age to live among those who are my age as well - but maybe it's just that I don't forsee myself settling down with that one person again, and therefore the idea of a community of people sounds appealing. My grandmother has lived in assisted living/retirement for over 9 years now, and has loved it. She gets to be around people who know things she knows from way back when and I think its a comfort to her to not feel alone at 99.