1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Yahoo! says you only need to know 4 dog breeds, and everyone fits with one of them. Do you?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

What, no labs? Hmph. :mad:

We have a lab/golden/possibly chow mix. We'll hopefully be getting an Australian cattle dog (possibly mixed) soon.

Out of these four, I'd go with the mastiff. But there are SO MANY great breeds, I don't agree with the "there's only four you need to know." Besides Labs (who totally got snubbed, but maybe they're trying to discourage everyone who saw Marley and Me, who were all "ZOMG YELLOW LABS ARE SO CUTE!"), my heart belongs to mutts.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Hahaha! Half of the dog I want is one of the breeds mentioned, the Australian Shepherd. Hubby and I really want to own an Aussie Shepherd/Border Collie mix someday: high energy, high work drive, and highly trainable. I want to do agility training. Yes, my husband grew up with one and so we know what we're getting into. If I wanted a lazy dog, I'd get a greyhound.

4. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

I have a Lab mix that will tear your head off if you come through the door w/o a member of her family with you. I also have a Pit Bull/ Bull Mastiff mix that is the sweetest girl I have ever met. She loves EVERY BODY.

5. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I will stick with rottweilers personally. Smart, loyal, good with kids as long the owners are not a**wipes that make them mean or vicious.
    Our chihuahua is fiercer than the Rotti any day. But he does like to act tough if you go near his fence, only to back right up if you go through the gate

6. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

I wholly disagree with their choice of dogs.

I've had Collies, a lab, and most recently a papillon (papi-yawn for those who don't speak french). I much prefer collies to most breeds. They are smart, playful, and lead a fairly long life for their size.

7. I know a big old farmer, and his dogs are Griffons, cute little things, not what you would consider farm dogs. The info on the mastiff - didnt agree with that, doesnt need much exercise, an apartment dog. Our mastiff (not a bull mastiff) loves jumping up and down and doing 'star bucks' when walking across the grasshopper field, he likes running so fast and so far with his smile reaching back floppily to his ears. He loves swimming, and when fetching, his lips become a sea anchor, and he ploughs on through the water, his lips creating their own 'wash'.
    I dont think much of the quality of the article. Were it printed on paper and I out of bog roll, I wouldnt insult my arse by using it to wipe. (Thats what swans are for anyway). Big boy has been well bought up, he needs to be - we are advocates of 'deed not breed'.
    Talking to the dog warden yesterday. Last week a chap turned up at the council offices with an american pit bull cross american bulldog which he chained up outside, said -'I found this dog' - and ran off. The poor frightened dog was so savage, they had to use poles on him, and they had to kill him. Dog warden said she thinks it was probably the best day of its life, the day it got to go to sleep forever. It had obviously been made to be agressive with a lot of cruelty. No cctv footage of the man. He sure needs something - like treating like a dog of his own. Now I want to bite and rag. I am a bit of a terrier by nature I think.

8. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

OK .. I don't 'own' a dog, but I've always got along famously with Bull mastiffs ... and ... there are, indeed, times when MY 'required accessory' is a Slobber Towel

9. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I don't really like any of those dogs. We had a Great Dane/Black Labrador mix. He was very cool.

10. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I usually prefer Heinz 57 breeds, but I have a soft spot in my heart for dachshunds.
    They proudly pull around their trailer.

11. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

My husband's family would be very disappointed that Golden Retrievers didn't make the list.

While my heart really does belong to a creature the antithesis to any canine (rabbit), there are some breeds of dogs that I adore. I'm partial to medium-sized high-energy dogs like Cocker Spaniels, Miniature Schnauzers, and Pembroke Welsh Corgies. The only large-ish dog that I've considered owning is a Greyhound. Growing up, our family included a cocker spaniel-laborador retriever-terrier mutt that had the most loving personality. She had curly-haired ears, soft long fur which we kept trimmed, black body with a white stripe down her tummy. She loved going for long, long walks or runs every day, and lazed about the house, cuddling immediately when requested. Ah, mutts... they are priceless. Everyone who met her thought she was the pinnacle of a new breed. Our beautiful Duchess was with us for 17 years.

My sister's family has two doxie mixes. They are a riot, and great with children, but they smell too much like hounds, and take too much pleasure in hunting for my taste.

12. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Go figure, I'm partial to Newfoundlands.

I'm fond of bull mastiffs and am used to carrying a drool rag; but more fur works better where I live. Australian shepherds are a bit too active for me.

Newfs make for a great weekend warrior type dog. Molly is fine vegetating when I'm on call and more than willing to do back to back 20 mile hikes when the weekend comes up.

13. raptor9k Vertical

My current dog looks more like an australian kelpie than anything. I'm partial to shepherd mixes. I think I'd like a blue heeler or australian cattle dog to go with the one I've got. All 4 of the breeds they picked really aren't my style.

14. Smackre

Smackre Vertical

norwegian elkhound best dogs ever!

15. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

16. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Awwww, she's a total cutie, Ace :)

17. What, no German Shepherd Dog? I'm disappointed. Mine is one of the most intelligent creatures I've met, and is insanely sweet unless you're walking up behind me while I'm sitting or walking up in any direction while I'm laying down.

Easy to train? You betcha.

18. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

After reading that I like Yahoo even less than I did before. I am none of those.

I'd like to think I'm a lab/pitbull mix; loyal with a pleasant, friendly personality and I like to jump into water. Please feed me raw bone-in steaks and I promise not to swallow sharp pieces so let me gnaw on the bones.

19. fill23ca

fill23ca Vertical

We have a Schnoodle who is smart as a whip with no formal training (we do our best). Fun dog who loves everyone except my daughter. :(

20. Why doesn't your pup love your daughter?