1. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Yard work

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by RedSneaker, May 15, 2014.

1. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

So, I've got some persistent weeds in pinestraw islands in the front yard. Too many to pull by hand.

I'd like to get rid of them - but cannot afford extra lawn service expenses. So I'd like to try it myself.

What's a great product store bought or homemade that will kill these unsightly weeds without breaking the bank?

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Have you tried using a hula hoe? This is probably the cheapest way to weed by hand with less effort, as a flame weeder is probably more than you want to spend, and really, you might as well just add the weeding to your lawn service at that point.

[​IMG]

Roundup works but it's nasty shit. Preen is an effective weed preventer, but it is also nasty shit. Most herbicides are pretty gross for people and animals.

I'd weed by hand, then use weed cloth under the mulch for prevention in the future.

3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i have one of those and it works ok for me. better than bending over for hours. but i agree with @snowy roundup works.

4. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I think the "yard man" sprayed either roundup or preen. I'll find out which. Whatever it was it didn't touch the weeds.

I'll look for a hula hoe when I got to Home Depot

5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I've killed stubborn weeds with salt water, but you have to be careful about surrounding plants. I take my single-prong home-made aerator, make holes as close to the weed as possible, and pour in the salt water. After you pull the dead weed, you'll need to re-work the soil if you plan to plant something in that spot. The weaker the solution the safer it is, but the longer it takes to work.

A related tip--Spraying a 'mist' of saltwater around the outside your planters, pots, along the edges of your patio, etc, discourages slugs.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Oh I may try the salt water. I've got lots of huge cans of salt just taking up space in the pantry. And no surrounding plants to worry about! I like this idea!

How strong do you recommend?

7. Chris Noyb

For the weeds, about 1 part salt to 3 parts water. Some weeds are very tolerant. We have some 'coastline' weeds that seem to prefer salt water :eek:.

For misting for slugs, about 1 part salt to 7 parts water. The more salt you use, the more visible it is when it dries

EDIT--I don't mix the salt water in my better/favorite handheld spray bottles, I use empties from kitchen & bathroom cleaners.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I haven't had to weed a garden in many years, but when I did, I did it by hand. Toronto has a ban on pesticides.

The plant life here is quite different, I don't know what is a weed and what isn't.

9. Chris Noyb

By hand, pulling the roots is best. I have a very good book on organic gardening, which I haven't seen in years since I quit growing veggies (water bills :mad:), and I can't remember the name of it. It had some great recipes for homemade enviro-friendly herbacides & pesticides.

Chances are some of your local garden clubs publish books that'll help you ID beneficial plants and weeds.

10. Charlatan

Chances are slight. Most people here don't have gardens and those that do, tend to hire people to take care of it for them (cheap labour).

11. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I poured salt water on some weeds. Can't wait to see if it works!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

Give it a few days. If it rains, re-treat. If the weeds start looking sickly but seem to be recovering, re-treat.

In Toronto? That surprises me. But many garden clubs have little to do with actual gardening.

13. Charlatan

Not Toronto, Singapore.

• Like Like x 1
  14. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

Pull out everything - the ones that come back are weeds :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

if the saltwater trick works, let me know.

• Like Like x 1