1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

yontoo virus????

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by pan6467, Sep 11, 2012.

1. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

Not sure if this is the right place, but, I just restarted my desktop (to get my router to recognize my Roku) and found that when I opened an internet browser on the desktop it went to a US Search engine page. I did some research and found that it is part of the "yontoo" virus. I ran a Kaspersky scan and it came back clean.... I went to my Add/remove programs control and removed the Yontoo and the US Sreach that was appearing on the list. HOWEVER, on my PC I cannot sign into anything (facebook, yahoo, etc) because it says my account has been temporarily locked. I try to get through on my laptop and it does the same thing.

My question is 2fold..... How can i get rid of it if Kaspersky ignores it and will this virus affect my laptop through the router?

2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

A quick bit of Googling suggests that Yontoo is adware and not a virus. It's still malware, but adware is more on the sleazy end of the scale and less on the nefarious. It won't spread to your laptop over the network so you should be okay there.

I'd strongly recommend not trying to do anything important on the desktop until the issue is resolved. Kaspersky isn't picking it up so you'll need other tools. Desktop support hasn't been an area that I've been really in on for several years now, but a recent discussion with the folks who do it has lead me to believe that Superantispyware and Malwarebytes are good tools.

I'll let the folks who have more expertise in this area fill in more details.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pan6467

Thanks martian, you eased my mind with the network, I don't really even use my desktop anymore except for games. I just needed to get my router to recognize my roku and to remind myself of an old accounts password.

4. When was the last time you started the desktop prior to this? Assuming you're running some version of Windows, I'd do a system restore to a time before then, then download and run Malwarebytes. I'm not an IT pro, but I've had too much experience dealing with these kinds of things at work over the years. The last time I spoke to my friends at Epicor, they were still treating this problem that way. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pan6467

Thanks Grumpy will try the restore. The more I look into Yontoo the more confused I get. Seems it is face book related (page rage, whatever that is) and some people seem to say they love it and some say it is near impossible to remove. I do think that since it seems to be face book related that may be why I am having face book issues.

6. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Oh god. I hated fixing yontoo for someone. Mostly because I saw just how it fucks up the Facebook experience by inserting extra extra advertising. Really I can't imagine fucking up a companies image right from within their space without them even knowing it at all. Ever.