1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your favourite band right now.

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by thename, Oct 27, 2015.

1. thename New Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Justin Bieber.

/joke x2

There's a thread here titled What Are You Listening To?

3. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I always used to say it was the Eagles, and that was true for years decades. But then I read a few biographies/autobiographies, and realized two of the men I held in such high esteem were pretty much assholes. It was hard for me to come to terms with that, and I stopped listening completely for a few years. I've just now gotten back into listening to them semi-regularly, and man, I missed those harmonies...but I probably won't ever pay money to see them live again, nor will I purchase anything beyond what I already own.

I can usually separate a musician's work from their personal life, but for some reason, I just can't with them.

So, I don't know who I'd go with as the "favorite" now. Def Leppard, maybe, or Foreigner. They Might Be Giants is up there pretty high on the list. Among "newer" artists, I'm really digging Arctic Monkeys and Jenny Lewis at the moment. And I adore Aurelio Voltaire.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I can do that to a point, as long as they aren't in my face about it (Fuck off, Ted Nugent).

My favorite changes constantly. I saw Gregg Allman play a couple weeks ago and I'm still on an Allman Brothers kick. Next week, it will be something else.

5. Chris Noyb

Ted Nugent, now a total War-hawk and a proud Republican (or whatever ultra right-wing party he now supports), was a draft dodger during the Vietnam War. I don't have an issue with him being a DD during the VW, and wouldn't have an issue with him being a War-hawk......except that being one then the other makes him a hypocrite in my book.

Digression/threajack over. I don't (intentionally) listen to new music, and haven't really listened to music much at all recently. I'd have to say Bruce Springsteen, stopping after The River album.

6. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Tough call. Morphine is very high on my list by the way. I thank that if Mark Sandman hadn't passed away when he did Morphine would be considered a major band right now.
    I'd go with Jack White for right now, between White Stripes, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather and his solo work, there is some amazing music.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Miles Davis. Massive Attack. Beastie Boys. Lately, St. Germaine, ambientsketchbook, and Booka Shades are emerging as front runners. I'll always stop what I'm doing to burst into song with Metallica, Gorillaz, Bjork, and Radiohead, too. Those and the Beasties are probably my favorites.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thename New Member

Miles Davis is amazing. I love Bitches Brew. Jack White is great. I especially love White Blood Cells by The White Stripes.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chris Noyb

I like Miles Davis, back in his West Coast Jazz days. I was listening an album (CD) on which Cannonball Adderly is credited as the group leader, but the music is clearly 75% Miles Davis (sorry, the title of the album escapes me at the moment).

Found it, Somethin' Else.

Edit--I read his autobiography. Brilliant musician and composer. Major egotistical dick.

10. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Lately, The Weeknd has been my earworm.

11. Blood Brother

Blood Brother New Member

Been listening to the band Lakoda. A friend told me to check them out on Facebook, they're a young alternative band with a great sound. I'm more of a metal guy, but trying to expand my horizons a little.

12. Viscount8

Viscount8 New Member

The War on Drugs. Amazing band, they really push all my buttons.

13. gov135

gov135 New Member

Their music is truly amazing. Latest album is album of the decade so far. What always amazes me about them is that if you come back to it after a few months of having not listened, it is always fresh. It may just be that it is just better than everything you've been listening to in the interim.

14. oldtimer56

oldtimer56 umime

Metallica fan from the start. Talk about a band full of assholes, but one gotta take the bad with the good.

15. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

I listen to a lot of Wilco, My Morning Jacket and Felice Brothers recently

16. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I've found myself fixated on The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band.
    It's kind of amazing that they can get such huge sound from just three people, Breezy Peyton playing a washboard/vocals, Max Senteney on a bucket/suitcase/cymbal set and the Rev on guitar/vocals.
    I love their hard blues sound.
    There is some serious talent here.

17. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

This is all still true. Although I'm completely baffled that I didn't mention Fleetwood Mac or the Cars. Both of which I'd classify as my two favorites right now.

18. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I've loved slide guitar in a rock context ever since I first heard Duane Allman (back when he was still alive).
    Telluride has a festival featuring 2 of my favorite things Telluride Blues & Brews.

Seems the main act on Friday night is Bonnie Raitt. Why the hell haven't I been listening to her for the last few decades?

Looks like those shoes were stolen from Jerry Lee Lewis.

19. Mortee22 New Member

Diggin this list! right on