1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your feelings on marijuana...

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by pWf, Apr 21, 2013.

1. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. zoolady

zoolady New Member

Wasn't it John Lennon who said something about pot being ''just a giggle?" I think he was right! It makes things just a little more fun--cooking, kissing, looking at art, etc.

It's ridiculous that so many places make it illegal.

BUT...I don't want to see it LEGALIZED.....I want to see it DECRIMINALIZED!

There's no possible justification for taxing an HERB! It's an HERB, people....and I should be able to grow it right next to my basil, my tomatoes, my garlic and my cilantro.

3. Tobacco is taxed. Heavily.

4. Fraeia

Fraeia Getting Tilted

One evening I shared a joint with my (now ex) girlfriend. While high we decided to take a pack of magic markers and draw a huge mural on our bedroom wall. While we were doing it I was sure that we would wake up the next morning and think it was the most aweful thing ever, but it was actually pretty awesome. I figuratively kick myself every time I think about it because we never did take a picture of it :(

I definitely think it should be legalised, but it's just so hard to care enough to do anything about it when I can get it whenever I want and smoke it whenever/wherever I want. People around here don't seem to notice and/or care. And I don't smoke often anyway (maybe once every month or two, if that). It just bothers me when the police make a huge seize of marijuana and sellers start to lace their limited supply with other substances. That's way more dangerous than if they just legalise it and let people do what they're going to do anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wolf Evil Grin

I really think that it is silly that it isn't already legal. How many jobs could be created around this industry? Obviously, there would need to be some laws around its use, driving restrictions, smoking in public places, etc. One thing I can't stand is all of the marijuana supporters claiming the health benefits of smoking it. Let's face it, smoking anything, cigarettes or marijuana included isn't good for you. Inhaling smoke into the lungs is not healthy no matter what. Legalize it, yes, but be honest about it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

We'd have better science if the FDA would reschedule so at least human studies could be conducted in a legitimately and rigourously reviewed manner.

There is some evidence that use early in life can cause later episodes of psychosis, and also reduce mental capacity. I don't see how we can make public policy in any sensible way until we understand the impacts. THere is also evidence that people suffering chronic or catastrophic conditions can obtain some relief. So, like any drug, there is an upside and a downside. Celebrex can reduce arthritis pain tremendously. It can also precipitate strokes in people with certain risk factors.

So, lets identify the effects and the risks and make policy thereby.

We can't honestly say it's harmless; but I lean towards "its a personal choice."

A lot of people here say it's harmless, and the information we have says it can be otherwise. I would also point out that no intoxicating substance is harmless when you get behind the wheel of a car.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

No shit......

8. Indigo Kid

Indigo Kid Getting Tilted

I just wish my employer didn't do Random Drug Testing. That should be illegal in the USA. Really. Pisses me off.

9. Fraeia

Fraeia Getting Tilted

I can't even imagine how frustrating that is. What I do on my time off is nobody's business but my own.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Your employer has the responsibility to manage it's assets (which it's shareholders or owners paid for). This includes mitigating liability by making sure drugs and alcohol don't contribute to workplace accidents.

You might say what you do on your off time is your business, but what if you came to work drunk or stoned and caused an accident that resulted in bodily injury or death? You got drunk or stoned on your own time, to be sure, but your employer now has been impacted in a huge way. This is true whether the intoxicant was legal or not, or used legally or not.

11. Fraeia

Fraeia Getting Tilted

I should have gone further with what I said and added "as long as it doesn't affect my performance at work". To me, getting intoxicated before work is just as bad as while you're at work. I guess I just think it's obvious that employers want their employees to be sober while on the job.

That said, my employer has no right to know if I had a joint over the long weekend, but as far as I understand it, drug testing can sometimes indicate if you've had anything in your system for weeks, am I correct?

12. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

I tend to agree, as long as you are not intoxicated at work. In addition to managing those assets, your employer has a responsibility to provide a safe working environment, and part of that is managing employee behavior.

It depends on the drug and the level of use. THC metabolites remain detectable in urine for several days, but for heavy users this can extend to weeks.

There are other things not related to the psychoactive aspect to consider; smoking weed is like smoking anything else and can lead to increased risk of cancer and emphysema, and long term use has been shown to impact memory and intelligence, and increase the risk of psychosis. Addtionally, long term use of THC (smoked or not) can impair your body's autoimmune functions and make you more suceptible to disease.

That said, I still think it's a personal choice. I wouldn't use it given all I know; but that is an informed choice, and I think people should make informed choices.

13. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

There is anecdotal evidence to suggest that the more deleterious effects of pot smoke on the respiratory system can be somewhat ameliorated by filtration: which is to say, smoke from a bong, not from a pipe or joint-- the water is your friend. Granted, this is only an amelioration, not a remedy, but those more worried can always get vaporizers. And if that's still not enough, there is always switching to edibles.

In terms of memory and intelligence, I have never seen or heard of truly permanent effects, even from fairly heavy smoking. I knew a few people who were daily smokers, and eventually went on the wagon, after years of use. Within days of ceasing to smoke, their mental clarity returned to normal. True, I have never met anyone who got hugely freaking blasted stoned every day for decades: I would not be shocked if there were permanent effects from such ultra-heavy use over so many years. But I would also imagine that people using at that level for that extended a period are a fairly small percentage of overall pot smokers.

For the record, most simple screenings for pot can be obscured by consumption of a large quantity of pure cranberry juice 8-12 hours prior to testing. Doesn't help for really surprise tests, but if you have even 24 hours notice, it'll work more often than not. But it has to be pure, undiluted cranberry juice-- not cranberry juice "cocktails" or sweetened cranberry juice. It's extremely sour and bitter, and not much fun to drink, but if you can manage to down around 32 ounces or so (the more the better, within reason).... Well, it's worked for me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Are you friends with my wife? She's a juvenile PO. Maybe not, no D.A. in Canada and I don't think she thinks it is addictive.

I don't think of it as a substance. It is a plant. As for addictive, I don't think so. Fun? Yes. Medicinal? Definitely, I use it to treat seasonal allergies. A couple tokes and I can breathe easy.

15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Marijuana isn't for me, I know because I tried it and I no longer like it. Years ago, prior to joining the military, I used to use it regularly. My guess is the summer before I signed up, 1982, I was a daily smoker. I must have enjoyed it as I was doing it daily. After getting out of the Navy and getting a job first at the county jail and then with State Parole and Probation it seemed like using it would be pretty hypocritical so I passed at parties and concerts. Fast forward 20 some years and I give it a try again. My first thought was "holy crap things have changed!" I believe my next thought was "don't we have some canned turkey gravy and a box of Fruit Loops in the house?" I remember back in the day smoking several joints a night with a friend or two, just chilling out. The stuff I tried more recently was more like knock you on your ass rather then make you chill out. I had two small hits off a pipe and spent the next several hours walking around my house alternating between trying to remember which way was up and worrying my supervisor was going to show up any moment and fire me for breaking the law. Hours later, shortly after managing to maintain a firm grasp on which direction was up for a full 15 mins, it suddenly dawned on me I'd been retired for about six months and didn't need to worry about any supervisor "stopping by to fire me."

So for me I'll pass but I'm firmly in the camp that if you're an adult and you enjoy it you should be legally able to do so. If you're ill and your doc thinks it might help you should most definitely have legal access to it.

16. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

Anecdotal evidence notwithstanding, there are actual studies of the effect of pot on the respiratory system:

Marijuana: Factsheets: Respiratory Effects of Marijuana

And long term mentation:

Cannabis sativa: effects on brain function a... [Biol Psychiatry. 1980] - PubMed - NCBI

I'm afraid the long term effects are not good in either case; and water doesn't remove the carcinogens. Alcohol also has detrimental long term effects; but it is legal. I think pot should be as well, and people should make an informed choice.

17. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Now a days there are a lot worse things in the world than pot.

18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

There's always been a lot worse things then pot. The whole campaign against it was made up BULL SHIT to begin with. Someone or some people should be charged with a criminal act for what it's cost tax payers over the past several decades to fight the public war on marijuana.

What the war on marijuana has cost individuals either in cash and lost property or lost freedom is the true "Reefer Maddness."

• Like Like x 3
  19. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

At this point in the national joke of the war on drugs and after 30 years of on and off smoking (with 'off' being up to ten years), I've given up on caring about Federal laws against hemp. I smoke it as a treat in my own home. Basically, it comes down to my interpretation of 'smoke it if you got it.'
    Also, I buy high grade weed grown in a closet from a friend of a friend. I may have disdain for the current MJ laws but I don't ignore them.

20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

If marijuana law piss me off then hemp laws make me close to homicidal. There's absolutely no logic behind making hemp illegal. No logic unless you're in the business of paper or textile production. Hearst and DuPont looking to increase demand for their products probably have more to do with hemp being illegal (mostly illegal anyway) today then any logical reasons.