1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your folding phone and the new fold 5

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by boink, Aug 4, 2023.

1. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Hey all... anyone with a folding phone ?

I have Motorola z4 now and a chat with Samsung said it's an acceptable trade in for nearly a grand off the fold 5.

I like the fold gimmick. I think the front screen may be annoying that it's narrow, but I do like all the rest of it. The narrowness may also be nice for pockets sometimes ?
    I also like the new s pen and how thin it is when it's snapped into it's home in the case. It's the best it can be if it can't slide into the actual phone like the galaxy.

Anyway...I may go for it today. Anyone have warnings for the folding part ? The screen dip is still there but seems minimal in reviews.

I have a pretty good track record with phones as far as not damaging them, no broken screens in my history. If I get 2 years from it before the screen cracks that's not bad.

I guess I figured if I'm gonna fold, the advantage of 2x screen is better than a 1/2 size phone in the pocket of the flip or the new moto razor phone.

So...just checking if anyone has something to say that I'm not thinking about.
    Thanks !

2. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

The fact that they can offer a grand off the price tells me this is way out of my price range for a phone.
    Hope you post a review if you get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Yeah...my Motorola z4 cost me about $500 as a super clean referb on eBay so it seemed too good to be true, and it is.

Previous conversation didn't get as far as the trade value on my specific phone.
    So, phone + s pen case is still $16150.
    No sale I would only get $200 value on my z4. Which is fair for a 3 year old phone even though it's really clean.

Oh well...I'll wait and get it as a factory referb later.

I have watched Flossy Carter's reviews on utube and he's been pretty spot on for 3 pairs of headphones, so I trust his opinions and I like his cat white shoes.

I also need a garage door, a new laptop and it's time to pay the insurance on the house. The phone seems like the least important of all that.

4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I sincerely hope
    "$16150"
    is a typo :eek: :eek: :eek:.
    :p

Back to serious reality...
    I'm with fflowley, the price is way out of my range, phones are not that important to me. And I'm thinking they made some slight improvements to existing technology, and are charging way too much.

Refurbs will hit the market. Some companies release first quality products as refurbs because they don't want to admit to being overstocked, and some of the folks who paid full price would be POd.

One question we always get when we go shopping for new phones (every four to five years) is, "How long have you had this phone :confused:?".

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
  5. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Yeah. My moto z4 is at three years now and yeah it's a referb.
    Not a typo haha...
    The marketing says (up to) $700+ off with trade in. I didn't see the 'up to' because I didn't want to haha, and I thought maybe buying back some phones to get these new units out in the public eyes helps kick off buzz...

Anyway they're smarter than that.
    Yes even $1000 for a phone is a lot and $1700 outright without trade in is really a lot.
    But for $1000 it does some pretty cool stuff.
    Samsung has dex which trows a full desktop on a monitor or smart tv.
    No 100x zoom like the top galaxy where you can take a picture of the moon and see craters, but the rest of its capabilities makes it so you could skip owning a laptop or desktop tower computer -almost- but if I hunted around for apps I think I could find a way to replace functions of some desktop computer apps I use and just have the phone and monitor to sling it to at home.
    With some care I could avoid destroying it the metal shop environment.

• Like Like x 1
  6. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Ok...I waited a couple months and sure enough you can get one for $999 open box on eBay.
    My moto is actually 4 years old now.
    Anyway I had the cash and did the deal. Phone is 3/8" narrower than most these days. A little harder than I thought it would be to txt on the front screen.
    3 days in, samsung is different than moto. But hopefully I'll get used to it. If not I can trade in. But so far it seems good and I think I can get used to it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

I was hoping that a new phone would cure the slow, fragile browsing here. Well, it browses fast till I log in, then it gets slow again and often, page link bounced back out to the cover page on the whole forum list. :^/
    Oh well...otherwise so far it's cool but not sure if I love it. Samsung has a lot going on in here. I guess the camera can sort of follow you via ai if your filming and walking around in a scene.
    Keyboards are weird, or different from moto and I guess I can move keys around to suit my preference.

I think Samsung should make the next one thicker on the back side so the cameras can be flush to the case, or closer to flat. Not gonna happen though, the 5 has only been out a few months and leaks of the fold 6 are already showing up. It my be wider so front screen texting would be easier. Still using the old phone for some stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris Noyb

The next trend will return cell phones to being the size of a standard BIC lighter :eek:.

9. boink

boink Slightly Tilted

Well, with a Bluetooth connected augumented glasses with temple cams and iris tracking click/tap controll...yeah a bick lighter could work soon as the real life evolution.
    Then I'd expect the back lighter to get bigger and have its own screen too...you can do all that now really. I guess next would be retinal implants.

10. Chris Noyb

You will be assimilated, resistance is futile.

Borg, the communications technology company that refuses to take no for an answer!