1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Your harddrive may be full...

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by rogue49, Jan 20, 2014.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I've been saying this for years to my mom.
    She's been complaining that as she gets older, her brain is getting worse. (but actually, she does quite a bit and then some)

And that would make sense in many aspects.
    Younger people tend to not have as many obligations built up as more experienced people.

I'd say, many of our mental issues are due to the physical limits of capacity of our brains.

Absent minded...maybe you're thinking about too many things at once.
    And so on...

2. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Bless you, @rogue49! I've thought my aging brain cells were dying off (or committing suicide). I like this theory much better

3. rogue49

Sure...there are likely even more factors than this.
    Younger people tend to blow things off more...or not consider the consequences. Not because they're any worse, just they haven't experienced the pain yet.
    But you get burnt more and more over the years...you start trying to absorb more...think about the consequences more.
    Your standards are higher...because you expect more of yourself. Why? Because you do NOT want to experience that discomfort again.
    Also more responsibilities have likely been piled on more...people expect more of you. Why? Because you're more experienced.
    The mountain gets higher and higher...so do the challenges... So do the consequences...

This is not always the truth...but it is more likely as you move on through the years. Stresses and more.

And then your "harddrive" gets full on top of that?

Need a defrag?
    A purge?
    A malware scan?
    A process or registry optimizer?

Funny analogy...but I wonder if there is truly some type of medical equivalent...drug, procedure, training, rehab or otherwise for the brain.
    That would be an awesome thing to find.
    Keep your neurons crisp and clean.

Because if anything a good IT person knows...doesn't matter where the bottleneck is...still a bottleneck.
    It affects you whether you can see it or not.
    And the little stuff accumulates.

Sorry all, you can't wipe yourself and reload your OS. :eek:

I know there are techniques for increasing memory.
    Anyone know ones for clearing away the old stuff? The bullshit? The cobwebs?

Sleep helps. R&R. But anything specific?
    Meditation?

Train your brain, get it fit. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  4. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

As a biologist I'm not buying this. Too many other factors to look at. For something like the nonsense words, we already know the brain has a "sensitive" period for learning language, and if a child isn't taught one by around 15 they can never fully learn to speak. Its would not be surprising that as you get older that process shuts down even more so something like new parings are not difficult because of some sort of superior knowledge but because they simply lack the ability.

I have a much larger vocabulary then most people due to a lot of early reading. By this theory I should have more trouble than someone who has a limited vocabulary, but I'd be willing to bet this is not going to be the case. I should also have a bigger problem then when I'm elderly but again I rather doubt that the elderly uneducated person is going to be better at it then I will be at their same age.

Really something like this should be easy to test in a way. Get the norton anthology scores of people when they were younger and see if those who score poorly "beat" the high scoring people in terms of their nonsense parings as elderly adults. Who wants to take the bet that the poor scoring students are now superior as adults? I would not make that bet.

5. rogue49

Well, the exact opposite is not necessarily the truth..
    I've encountered the learning language period limitation in the past, with one of my ex-gf, she was deaf and her ignorant family/school didn't teach her to talk...
    so she couldn't communicate/comprehend well, even with full sign language.

The people who learn more, may have more capacity...or if you've trained yourself to absorb more, you may be able to have more capacity.
    There are a lot of factors...and everything counts.
    From parts wearing down or breaking or not working as effectively...or chemical balances thrown off. (which in an older body, happens more often)
    But I'd say the burdens, stresses and limits of capacity count also.

Perhaps, keeping a clear mind, is learning how to let go.
    I wonder if those that are more happy-go-lucky or forgive easily...if they remember better as they age. (or at least trend that way)

There are so many subtle variables...and getting reliable feedback from individuals is always a challenge.

For example, my mother who was known for her knowledge for years by her associates, always had good recall,
    but I don't think as she aged she became more forgetful, but it was as additional and more intense stress increased that she started to become a bit more flighty.
    So is her brain getting worse for wear due to age? Or due to the fact of impact of stress? Or the memories of it? If she let go, would she recall more in ability? Or is it perm?
    My suspicion is that it is all the above...and varying of course for each.

6. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I'm also skeptical. This reeks of a narrow scope of research searching for evidence to prove someone's pet theory rather than a conclusion drawn from a body of evidence.